Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: White Label 45 45 10 consistency

Boolit Buddy

White Label 45 45 10 consistency

What is the consistency of this stuff supposed to be? My bottle seems thick. I'd say slightly thicker than mayonnaise. The last time I used it the boolits were still stick after 24 hours and they fouled my seating die to an extreme degree.

Wondering if I need to thin this with some mineral spirits?

Boolit Master
    did you warm it up ?? also warm your boolits should work much better dont put it on too thick and needs to be warm to dry on boolits 80degs or higher for a quick dry time

Boolit Master
    I keep my WL 45-45-10 in a squirt ketchup bottle from Wmart. I only fill the bottle about a quarter full and I put a 45 boolit in the bottle for a mixing shaker. Yes, even tightly sealed I get some thickening due to solvent evaporation but a table spoon of mineral spirits does the trick as needed. It was 60 degrees in the reloading room this morning and my 45-45-10 was indeed thicker than mayonnaise but after 5 min with the ketchup bottle in a coffee can half full of hot tap water it was about the consistency of 3-n-1 oil. A very little 45-45-10 goes a long way. I did not heat my boolits but I have a fan blowing on them now and they'll be dry this afternoon.

Boolit Master
    I have found with any of the liquid lubes that I get much better results if I put the boolits in the plastic dish I use to swirl the boolits around in, then heat them with my wife's hair dryer until they're almost too hot to touch, then add the lube, swirl until covered then dump them on wax paper to cool. For the opposite disastrous effect, bring the boolits in from a cold shop and hit them with the lube. You will not be a happy camper. Don't bother to ask me why I know. GF

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    SNIP...

Wondering if I need to thin this with some mineral spirits?
    I wouldn't thin it. I make my own and it is the consistency of creamy peanut butter.
    Heat is your friend.

My process is just about identical to Gray Fox's process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I have found with any of the liquid lubes that I get much better results if I put the boolits in the plastic dish I use to swirl the boolits around in, then heat them with my wife's hair dryer until they're almost too hot to touch, then add the lube, swirl until covered then dump them on wax paper to cool. For the opposite disastrous effect, bring the boolits in from a cold shop and hit them with the lube. You will not be a happy camper. Don't bother to ask me why I know. GF
    I will make this claim, If I pre-heat the boolits and don't apply too much 45-45-10, They will be dry enough to handle by the time they cool off to room temp, which is about 15 minutes. I don't make it a practice to load them within 8 hours, as it seems the coating is still giving off the solvents in that time and loading them prematurely could cause seating die buildup.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I too heat the boolits with a hair dryer and only use a measured 1/4 teaspoon of lube on 7.5 pounds of 45 ACP boolits.