RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Primer powered 30 cal pellets?

Banned

Question Primer powered 30 cal pellets?

Just curious.....I used to pull the bullets out of .22's, pour out the powder and fire 22 pellets inside just for plinking.
    Surprised at how much velocity was achieved using just the primer.
    First shot went through my target.
    And the backstop.
    And lodged partially through my garage wall.
    o_0
    Just curious if anyone has tried this with 30 caliber pellets.

Boolit Master
    Not 30, but tried a 22 cal blank with a pellet once. 3/4" plywood backstop inside was not nearly enough .

Boolit Master
    You may want to search for Hot Glue Bullets.

Boolit Man
    I have succesfully used rifle primers as propellant with .30 RB ( well greased) and hotglue bullets.
    Do make sure it clears your barrel, tho.
    Best results in .30 cal were with a well lubed 115 gr .30 M1 carbine lead bullet using a 209 shotgun primer.
    I could see the bullet travel, but it was reasonably stout and pretty consistant for backyard plinking.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Banned
    I was noticing a 30 cal pellet mold in the group buy section. Just wondered how well it would do in my ruger 30-06, using only a magnum primer.

Boolit Master

How about a custom pellet gun firing a 22 caliber with just a 209 for power like a inline breech loader. Think I need a lathe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    How about a custom pellet gun firing a 22 caliber with just a 209 for power like a inline breech loader. Think I need a lathe.
    Might just be the start of a new branch of shooting!

Boolit Grand Master

I make adapters to s/s rifles for shooting pellets, 17, 22 and 25. Using old chunks of rifle barrels. They make good rat guns but you don't want or need shotgun primers ofr commercial pellets. THey will blow the skirts off. For the shotgun primers we use 22 round balls dipped in liquid allox and allowed to dry. One ragged hole at 50 feet. We use a steel plate inside a plywood box. Don't lose any lead.

Boolit Master
    I've got a couple of pieces of .32 S&W long brass I converted to 209 primers. I can just load the 209 primer and a round ball, and they move pretty well in revolver and rifle. I do coat the RB's in JPW or similar.

I've been meaning to try a 209 powered 30-06 shell with round ball. I suspect the velocity will be lower, but might still be good for backyard plinking...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    308,303 7.62x54,323 with round ball or pill ball with primer all work if you what you can put 2 or 3 grains 700x

These are called gallery loads been around since 1900 maybe sooner.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

I used to have fun in and around my garage shooting hornets with wax bullets
    made by the simple expedient of pressing a Primed 38special case through a slab
    of Parrafin sealing wax.

They worked best in my 1930's vintage Colt Official Police revolver

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I've been meaning to try a 209 powered 30-06 shell with round ball. I suspect the velocity will be lower, but might still be good for backyard plinking...
    That was a no-go for sure. A 209 in a 30-06 case wouldn't get a 65 grain bullet past the throat. I didn't have a round ball handy, but it couldn't have been too much better.

A 209 and 1.8 grains of titegroup was pretty good with the 65 grain bullet, but in this instance the 209 is pointless, I tried it with a LR primer and the same load shot to the same POI with either the 209 or the LR primer. the load was about the same noise as a .22 subsonic from a 16" barrel.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master

If you use wax bullets mark the cases and bore out the primer holes so the primers don't back out in a revolver and tie up the gun 7/64 is about right.

Boolit Master
    Kind of an interesting topic. Does remind me of the Glooboolit/Gloolit subject.

Another option for a projectile might be is a single #1 buckshot pellet is .30, or so. although I don't know what a single one weighs in grains, but might be an option anyway.

An "F" shot pellet is .22, but they are steel & likely not a good choice because of that.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o