Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 magnum shooting high

.32 magnum shooting high

Scored one of the Lipsey's run of .32 magnum Bisley's Excellent fit and finish, .314 boolit is a slip fit in the cylinder mouths, and the forcing cone is free of gouges and rings. And it shoots well; just 6" high at 25 yards, 5" high at 50 and 4 " high at 100. Rear sight is screwed down tight. For giggles I was able to hit clay birds at 100 yards by holding 1 bird low and a hair right from a sitting backrest position. Tried different loads and all shot high.My thought is that there may be a different front sight for the .32's as opposed to the .22's and I got the wrong sight.

Really don't want to send it back because it shoots good and don't want it messed with. Is a different sight available?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    My 3inch first run 327fed sp101 was the same way. I bought an appropriate thickness piece of brass and filed out a new front sight blade. Got enough brass left for about 70 more, cost about 5$ and an hour's work. There might be a blade for yours , no luck on the sp101, therefore my project.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    What weight boolit were you shooting?

Boolit Master

Lighter boolit and or faster velocity will lower your impacts.

88 and 100 grain boolits. 100 grains were loaded over 4.0 of unique and 3.0 of red dot. Shot fine in another 4" .32.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I would try the Lyman 3118 or a clone thereof. I know I have older Smith Hand Ejectors and they like the heavy bullet the best. My clone mold of the 3118 comes out right at 115gr. They shoot well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    I don't need to tell you that a higher front sight or lower rear sight is the answer because you already know that.

Is there a possibility there's something interfering with the rear sight that is preventing it from bottoming out? Perhaps a burr or the spring under the sight is binding?

A taller front sight wouldn't be difficult to fabricate if all else fails.

This front sight is one piece with the base and held on with one screw.

Boolit Grand Master

If the rear sight is truly bottomed out (Petrol& Powder's suggestion is a good one) and you can't find a higher front sight you may be able to file down the top of the rear sight and deepen the notch accordingly. A set of jeweler's files are your friend here. I have done that on several Rugers over the years.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    It sure sounds like a taller front sight blade would do the trick. You ought to go ahead and make one for your gun. But maybe someone already makes one. I don't know.

Well if you're going to re-do you sights you might as well set them up to me more useful/forgiving. If it was me I give the sights 8 clicks up and re-test @ 25yds.

25yds ='s 900 inches
    right now your 6"'s high @ 25yds
    Distance from front sight to rear sight blade???

Example:
    I'll use 9" for the sight radius/distance from the front sight to the rear sight.

9 * (6"/900)
    6/900='s .00666666
    9 x ..0066666 ='s .06"

You would need to add 60/1000th's to the front sight or take off 60/1000th's off the rear sight.

I'd go up 8 clicks and re-test @ 25yds. Measure your sight radius and use the formula above to figure out how much you need to add to the front sight or subtrack from the rear sight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Using a tight fitting screwdriver remove the front sight and fashion a .06 brass or aluminum spacer to fit under it. Screw the sight back on with a bit of lock tight and you should be shooting center. Use a magic marker to blacken the aluminum shim if it bothers you. I did that years ago to get a Single 6 22 mag sorted out. If you run a bead of clear fingernail polish around the seam after you screw the sight back on it will make the little gap less notable. What you may also try is to cut a piece of inner-tube to serve as your spacer.
    Brownells may be able to provide you with a higher factory-type sight.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 01-21-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I really like the shim idea. One source suggested soda can for shim material.

Boolit Master
    I would call Ruger and ask if they have a taller front sight of that style. The Mark II bull-bbl target used the same style.
    Larry Gibson's solution is easy and works well also.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I see someone finally mentioned that you should call Ruger.

Simply put,,, a lower rear blade,,,, and or the addition of a taller front sight will be quickly supplied by the cost will be free quite often if you ask nicely. it won't change the gun in any way,,, and is an EASY fix.

Make the call.

Boolit Master
    While more expensive, Williams offers their Fire Sight set for the Bisley. My tired old eyes would approve of this option.

Boolit Bub
    I have the same problem with a Ruger Bisley but with fixed sights, I called Ruger they sent me a new front sight, when it arrived, it was the same height, I ended up keeping the new sight to install if I ever sell the gun, the old sight I built up with Liquid Steel,filed everything square then using my pet load kept filing the Liquid steel down until I reached the POI I wanted. Also used a black marker to make everything look the same.

Tack a nice piece of brass to the front sight with JB weld and file to your desired point of impact then shoot alot until you're happy with the DOPE. Now you can get or make a replacement sight or solder a piece on to make the same height and file it to nice contour. I did that with my New Vaquero and was never sorry.

Boolit Master
    I just use JB Weld to build up the front sight, file it down the next day at the range to get it where I want it using a finger nail file & paint it black with a magic marker. It's easy to take off if you need to. Done it one a lot of my Rugers.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Ive filed a small flat on the top of the front sight and soldered on a piece of brass several times. Careful filing and shooting will dial it right in.
    Ive also used a piece of brass brazing rod on a couple guns. My old Webley has a V notch rear sight and a brazing rod front. Best sight picture of any gun I own. If you hold it on a grouse head and squeeze easy you won't have to eat supper from a can.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast