Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first: 460gr Mjöllnir in 45-70Govt. Pic heavy, some gore

Boolit Bub

My first: 460gr Mjöllnir in 45-70Govt. Pic heavy, some gore

Warning, hunting and post mortem pics. If you are upset by such things... why are you here?!

I've been hunting here in Great Britain with a 460gr bullet that I "designed" on Mountain Mold's website, with help from the proprietor. I'm a relative novice when it comes to cast bullets (been using condom-bullets for target and hunting for years), so the help was much needed. I cast for other guns but this was my first cast boolit for hunting.

I wanted a boolit that had a large meplat, sectional density of 3 or more and wearing a gas check. I named the resulting boolit "Mjöllnir", Thor's Hammer.

Some pics of the bullet and Mold:

Originally, the design was based on a chamber-cast and bore-slug of JM Marlin 1895 Cowboy/Octagonal, shown here having some tailoring done (to lengthen pull and provide handy ammo):

It shot well enough in that charming rifle (110yds):

However, I had two other JM Marlins but no Ruger No.1...

A fine example of the latter in 45-70Govt became available and, due to the vagaries of our firearms laws, the Marlin had to go (also avoiding wifely disharmony!)

This pic shows my No.1, wearing the butt-sock I made for the Marlin and a commercially made sling bearing a Celtic design representing "Mjöllnir", Thor's Hammer (this was a happy coincidence, it wasn't custom made):

Happily, the Ruger also liked the boolit, shooting better than the Marlin at the range, and in a shorter, lighter package. My boolit hardness is estimated as BHN 9.5 (Lee testing die and magnifier). It's travelling at 1800fps at the muzzle (could go faster in the Ruger but probably should be slower to reduce meat damage.)

Initially I cast at 11-12 BHN but softened the alloy for a second batch in case I am ever challenged over a UK legal issue that bullets used to hunt deer must be "designed to expand" (as if a .459 bullet with a large meplat needs to expand...)

Having put the combination through its paces at the range, I ventured out into the field. I don't know much about hunting in America but I think it's quite different in the UK, where hunting takes place on privately owned land. The deer are wild and unfenced-in, though fenced deer farms and deer parks exist. My hunting is on farmland with some densely wooded areas; the wieldy Ruger is ideal for this terrain as shots rarely exceed 150yds and it's easy to control its short length in brush. On open ground, I usually shoot off sticks at dawn and dusk.

I know the scope won't be to everyone's taste but it helps me put meat on the table. I'm going to remove the elevation turret, though.

Continued...
    Last edited by Bangbangman; 01-21-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Boolit Bub
    These are my main quarry, Fallow deer (does, in this case):

We have 5 other deer species in GB. Sometimes Roe deer present an opportunity on the land I usually hunt over. Some landowners also insist I shoot the foxes.

Here are some pics from successful outings with the Ruger over the last year or so.

Deer down

Extraction of carcasses (the lazy way)

Two fox

Doe

Continued...
    Last edited by Bangbangman; 01-20-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I usually take a high-heart shot but if not accessible, and conditions allow (my limitations included) I'll take a head or neck shot.

Headshot with Mjöllnir (small buck)

Typically, heart-shot or high-heart shot Fallow will dead-run for 30-60yds, despite the sizeable hole traversing their thorax. Luckily, the blood trail is always copious:

Doesn't leave my dog much work to do, and he enjoys hunting!

So far, 460gr Mjöllnir has always exited, as you would expect with animals of this size. Only once have I found any bullet remnants. It was a boolit from the initial batch, cast at BHN 11-12, 1800fps at muzzle, deer at approx 110yds. My shot placement on this fallow buck was low and forward of the intended point, hitting sternum and humerus.

It made a mess of the deer (secondary bone missiles) but I only found two small pieces of lead, as shown:

Sternum, fore quarters removed:

Shoulder blade, humerus and bone fragments:

Lead fragments in deer:

Same Lead fragments on blade:

Gascheck had separated:

Continued...

Boolit Bub
    Some final post-mortem pics documenting Mjöllnir terminal ballistics of chest-shot Fallow deer:

Heart etc

Exit

What it's all about- food on the table:

Incidentally, this is the knife I used on several of these hunts. It's a Nessmuk-style blade (not made by me) in O1, which I have handled with some glow-in-the-dark material I found on a knife forum. Glows really well and hard to lose in the failing light.

Other boolits I have cast, which I may try:

Mihec HP, 360gr, .460 (might be too explosive)

240gr, .314 which I've been using for suppressed subsonic at .309 in .300Blackout. Might work well at higher velocity in .308Win or .303British

If I do, I'll post results. Might also try a slower loading of Mjöllnir.

I'm sorry this post became so long; I thought I'd share my conversion to cast boolits for hunting and got carried away.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
    Last edited by Bangbangman; 01-20-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Vendor Sponsor
    That boolit in the Marlin cowboy must have been fun to shoot. I have one and load the Gould 320gr hollow point and hold it to about 1400 fps. Still enough recoil for me. Perhaps if you slowed the 460 down a bit there might not be as much bloodshot meat.

Always glad to see folks hunting in the UK. thank you for posting.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening and Congratulations !
    Well written and documented report. For all the restrictions and rules you must observe you are doing nicely.
    Shooting fox with a caliber 45 certainly will get the job done ! But I do understand the need to use what you are permitted to carry afield.
    Here in Peru there are similar restrictions with ownership of firearms. But it is what some have to deal with.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing success stories. I would be interested in your 240 grainer in .314 as I am a 303 fan too. No foul on packing game out with a motorized vehicle if you can. JW

Boolit Master

Great post! The awesome pics just kept coming!

Awesome..thanks for sharing

Boolit Master

\

Hi bangbangman.Thanks for posting.Well written and informative.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    That boolit, and those Mihec boolits, look awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Great write up, thanks for sharing.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Awesome stuff. Those Mihec HP's!

Boolit Bub
    I have a question about your Ruger No.1.Did you have to lap the tight spot out of the barrel caused by the barrel band?Thanks in advance.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ripshod View Post
    I have a question about your Ruger No.1.Did you have to lap the tight spot out of the barrel caused by the barrel band?Thanks in advance.
    No, though it's possible one of the previous owners did it already.

I also haven't tried the forend hangar mod.

Boolit Master

Great guns and EXCELLENT writeup! Pics are awesome too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Great write up. Hunting in Missouri is the same as over there, private farm land. Most all farm land is fenced 3 foot fences. The fences doesn't stop deer or foxes at all.when I looked at your pictures the land lookes just like my back yard and where I hunt. We have state owned public conservation land also close to where I hunt that I also go to.

Vendor Sponsor

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Thank you for sharing! Great looking outfits and Boolit.

I agree you need to slow it down to do less Meat damage. With the size of that meplat 1500 FPS or even less should give you max DV or very close using Veril Smith"s formula.

Great shooting!

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast