RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first: 460gr Mjöllnir in 45-70Govt. Pic heavy, some gore

Bangbangman, thank you for your post. That .460 bullet is a serious looking projectile. It should do for anything you ever want to hunt, anywhere in the world. Your hound looks like a mighty fine fellow too. A great combination; great rifle and great friend afield and at home.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Bangbangman, that's some gooooooood stuff there!

I think given your meplat size and shot distances, you can definitely afford to slow that bullet down some. Given your "requirement" for a softer alloy, there's a fair chance they'll group a little better too.

The most impressive display of energy transfer I've ever seen has been off the .34" meplat of the NOE .460-405RF. Our range is mostly hard-packed dry earth - usually with one-half to an inch or so of loose dirt, pebbles, bits of shattered clay pigeon, .22 brass etc... on top. When you shoot a gallon milk jug full of water with that bullet at anything over 1600 fps, it ruptures so forcefully that the loose topsoil is cleared to about 18" in all directions. Keeping that in mind. . .they're only deer, and we no longer have bison in our petunias thanks to similar rounds at only 1200-1400fps.

Glad to see you can still hunt with a rifle in the UK without excessive wetting of pants.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    very nice!

it looks like my 330gr gould boolit(20:1) going around 1500fps. i took the gould boolit to around 1300fps and i took coww and just a bit of tin(12+/-bhn) and i didn't cause as much damage.

i don't know england's gun laws, but i'd take lyman #2 or a coww and i'd water quench it.
    Last edited by 500Linebaughbuck; 01-24-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Can you please provide some more specifics on your 460 gr Mjöllnir so anyone could recreate it on Dan's website? Front band width, ogive shape, Meplat to dia %, driving band width, crimp groove width etc?

Boolit Master
    I see you face a similar problem as I. The game available does not quite measure up to the capability of the cartridge employed. I'm using a .375 H & H here in Texas while the game resides in Alaska. Oh, well...
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the ideas. Slower sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by JAC43 View Post
    Can you please provide some more specifics on your 460 gr Mjöllnir so anyone could recreate it on Dan's website? Front band width, ogive shape, Meplat to dia %, driving band width, crimp groove width etc?
    Here you go:

Boolit Master

Bangbang,
    Grate post. Those photos through your telescopic sight are very good also.

Mjöllnir? I thought that was a typo. Learned something new today.

Cast Hunter

Great write up and pics! Thanks for sharing.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    You are certainly having more fun hunting than golfing I say! Nice rig, and that knife handle is very interesting.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Great story and good shooting. There are still folks who believe cast bullets just whistle through with no damage. Nope! I love the neon knife and I have the same model of Spyderco.
    Good Show Old Chap!
    Thomas

Boolit Master
    thanks for sharing this. I have just purchased a ruger no1 in 45-70 virtually unfired (gun and a opened box of factory ammo three used ) the guy got it and didn't like the recoil, was wondering how it would do for deer/moose. This would be a good indicator of what to expect. thank you sir

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done! Interesting to see how things are done in other parts of the world.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Great write up & pics.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Buddy

Outstanding pictures and write up.

That a very fine bullet and knife, being put to equally fine use.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy

As said before cool knife and great write up!

Boolit Bub
    Nice rifles and nice pics sir.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice write up. Thank you. That's a Mean looking bullet. I am shooting a RCBS 500 gr BPS bullet cast of COWW water dropped, powder coated. My Shilo Sharps has a 28" bbl, and 26.5 gr of 5744 move it at 1375 fps. Not much of a meplat but it holds MOA out to 300 yds. Haven't used it on game yet but it should do the job.

Nice rifle and boolit combo. Great looking country side your hunting. Thanks for the great pics.

Boolit Master

Well done, well done
    Thank you for sharing
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast