RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything PBcastco

Thread: Savage 110E in .222 Rem

Boolit Master

Savage 110E in .222 Rem

Today, I picked up a Savage 110E in .222 Remington. Been wanting a bolt action in .222 for a while now, so... when I saw this at a local show, I bit on it.
    What I do know about it so far is that it was made between '82 & '89, has a 4 round capacity blind magazine, Birch(?) stock and most likely a 1 in 14 twist, and it's pre-accutrigger.
    The stock isn't in bad shape, I'll probably refinish it somewhere along the line and it's wearing a Tasco 6x24x40 (China) scope. Unfortunately whoever mounted the scope didn't lap the rings.
    I intend on putting some rounds thru it on Monday and (1) find out if the scope is any good (2) see what sort of group I can get with the reloads I have made up for the 14" Contender.

Can anyone tell me anything else that I need, or should know regarding the above?
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

You've got a good one. You'll probably need a better scope but that one may be fine. I expect you will shoot several sub moa groups from that gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Pre ACU trigger is adjustable to about 3 lbs ,great rifles

i have one and its the last rifle i would part with , roo

Boolit Buddy
    I picked one up at a gun show in Pennsylvania about 5 years ago. Had no idea Savage made a 110 in .222. Never seen one since. Like roo, this one is a permanent addition to the family.

Isaac

Boolit Master
    Well, after the initial outing I'll be keeping it. The scope will be replaced though eventually.
    Fired a few rounds at 25 yards just to make sure I was on paper. Then went to 100 yards, fired one round, adjusted the scope for elevation, fired another round, adjusted again and fired the remaining 3 rounds, all of which hit the X ring!
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Many, many folks shot their first sub moa group with the .222 Remington. Still good to go 67 years young.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Many, many folks shot their first sub moa group with the .222 Remington. Still good to go 67 years young.

I resemble that remark! First center fire rifle I owned and loaded for was a 788 in 222. The day I traded it off I shot a six round group at 100 yds that you could cover with a dime. At that young age I thought that all rifles would do that. Sad day.

One person described the 222 Rem as a happy round. I think the OP will enjoy the rifle.

Dave

I killed a turkey on the wing with a Remington Mohawk 600 .222 Rem. A shot I hope to always remember.

Boolit Master
    One of my best shots was a crow at 258 long paces across a pasture. I had crawled up a creek bank and laid the rifle on a washed out root.
    There was a big popular tree about 175 yds across a field from the house. In the fall those big blackbirds would sit in them. I lost count of how many I knocked out, they would disappear and the tail go across the field like a whirly gig. All with a old K6 Weaver on the rifle, how did we get by with such low powers?

Good memories ain't it Texas.
    Dave

My 788 22-250 had the same scope, Dave!
    My current Tikka truck gun 22-250 wears a Burris 6X.
    We could see better then but my eyes are still good beyond my arm's reach lol.

Boolit Bub

There are a lot of DIY projects that you can do on those savages. Go to savageshooters.com to learn a bunch about your new toy!

The first thing you can do is pillars and bedding and if you want to get that trigger under 3 lbs., get a RifleBasic SAV-2 (about $150.00) or try to find an accutrigger and swap out the spring with a comp spring from Gunshack-(the trigger and spring should be about $50.00). When you go to savageshooters, check out the want ad section and site sponsors for parts and addresses.

Don't let anyone dissuade you about that Tasco scope. I have about 12 savages and at least six of them have that same scope sitting on them. I think that they are the best dollar value for scopes that you can find!!

Enjoy and welcome to the barrelnut brotherhood-Steve