WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Restocking a Trapdoor question...

Boolit Buddy

Restocking a Trapdoor question...

I'm tired of having my 1873 trapdoor disassembled and all the parts on the bench. It desperately needs a new stock, and I have a new semi-inletted one. How do I remove the spring-loaded barrel band catches to put them on the new stock?

The existing stock isn't really usable—somebody cut through it vertically with a bandsaw and reglued it, or it was made from the best halves of 2 stocks. The biggest problem is that the butt was also shortened about 3 inches and the buttplate doesn't fit.

The rifle was from an antique shop in Tucson, Arizona. All metal was spray painted gold, and with the funky stock, they didn't think it was a "real" gun. So I picked it up for $150 as an antique toy. (Which it is, in a way...for me)

Thanks, all.

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master
    Pictured is the spring for the lower band on a two band Mississippi rifle but they are all similar.

The spring has a long leg that anchors it in the stock. Look on the opposite side of the stock for a small hole and carefully drive it out with a drift punch or nail with a flat point.

Hope this helps. I restocked an 1866 model, get in touch if you want to.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Just got to thinking, there is also a ramrod spoon that is held in place by a transverse pin. It is located between the bottom band and the foreward lockplate screw.

The spoon holds the ramrod in place and keeps it from vibrating. Many have been found to be broken and this somehow affects the guilt edge accuracy we have come to expect from trapdoors.

Good luck.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Typecaster:

Before trying to drive the pin end of the bandspring out from the left side, go along both sides and the fixed end of the spring - CAREFULLY! - with a fine X-acto blade and free it from the wood. Otherwise, there is a good chance of sticky dried grease or stock finish causing the spring to drag out a splinter from the wood.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Thanks, StrawHat—photo and all! It makes perfect sense—the stock is almost black and seems to have a few random coats of varnish; that's probably why I couldn't see the pin. Now I know exactly what to look for.

floodgate—thanks for the heads-up. Even though it's a butt-ugly conglomeration of pieces, I don't really want to hurt the existing wood.

Thanks!

Richard

One thing to check out is the band spring holes are drilled in at a angle.You drill them at 90 deg and you will cut through the barrel channel.You can use the existing wood for a jig to figure.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Master
    All good advice. Just one thing, the 1884 won't have the retainer "spoon" which is a leftover from the War Between the States rifled musket and is found on the 1865 and 1866 Trapdoors.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Buddy
    I found it! The pin is right in the middle of what I thought was just another dent/missing chunk. It show up pretty well in the photo after I started picking at it. Other photos show where the stock was sawn and glued (with a hammer wedge for reinforcement), the nosepiece has a coarsely-filed copper rivet instead of the screw, and the chopped butt.

Jerry—I thought it was the "War of Northern Aggression" (one of the important things my son learned at Tulane).

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dent.jpg   lock.jpg   nose.jpg   butt.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Well, yes, Typecaster, that's how we remember it. Just didn't want to start a ruckus with some carpetbaggers or poor benighted soul from north of the Line.

Hope Tulane doesn't get swamped again. Looks like the latest storm has a bead on Na'lins and they still haven't got the levee system ready. Unfortunately, not surprising.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Buddy
    Jerry—

Our prayers and thoughts are with everyone in the SE who has to contend with that aspect of Mother Nature. We just have brush fires and earthquakes here in Southern Kalifornistan.

Tulane was only semi-swamped by Katrina, according to #1 son Patrick. Unfortunately, he had several friends in the low-lying areas who didn't fare very well. #2 son Sean and his wife have been back to work on the Musician's Village project a couple of times, and recruited other musician friends as well.

I hope all works out well, partly for selfish reasons: we're taking both sons and wives to NOLA for Christmas (better to spend their inheritance now, right?). Hope all is well in your part of LA.

Richard

Those old Springfields were tight fitting.Trying to remove any part from the stock may damage the stock.
    Go to the Trapdoor Information Center website,and ask about disassembly instructions.
    Frank