Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: My favorite new tool, sort of a tool..

Boolit Master

My favorite new tool, sort of a tool..

My wife got me 4 LED shop lights (come in 2 packs). These are the best things to hit my reloading room (and garage) in years. These things are just the best light I've ever had in my shop space. I now have 12 of them (she made me pay for the other 8). The fluorescents are gone and the LEDs are in.

They can be strung together like Christmas lights so I'm only using one plug in each area.
    They don't seem to care if it's cold.
    They have pull chains so I can on the ones I want.
    They use very little power.
    The bulbs are plastic and not filled with mercury and other nasty stuff (I have broken dozens of fluorescent bulbs accidentally over the years).
    Light color is also very natural.

I don't own stock in the company that makes them but I might look into it. (-:}

I also do a bit of car work and got 2 extras to just slide under the car when I'm working under one. The old "trouble lights" are history inside the garage. They REALLY light up the space under a car and no fluorescent bulbs to break when you drop a wrench.

I also put in a few extra hooks so I can move them to different parts of the garage depending on where I need extra light.

If you need more light, look into these things. Nothing I hate more than a poorly lit work space. Set a few of these over your reloading bench and you'll feel like you have a new shop.

Did I mention I love these new LED shop lights? (-:}

Sounds like what I have been looking for. Where did you get them from and what is the name of them? Got any pictures of the leds?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    I really like this light
    I never have to turn a light on when I go into the garage to do laundry or walk up to a work area and can adjust the brightness and many other details about the light
    Winplus 45” LED Utility Light with Motion Sensor
    Your Price 39.99$
    Shipping & Handling Included*

https://www.costco.com/.product.100329453.html

Features:
    Energy-Saving
    Motion-Activated
    LED Utility Light with Customizable Settings

Features:
    Uses Only 48W of Energy In-Use and is the Equivalent to a 300W Incandescent Light

Built-In Smart Sensor Control for Custom Settings:

Distance
    Select the distance the motion sensor detects for movement based on room size or preference. Options are Very Near (3.2ft - 9.8ft), Near (9.8ft – 16.4ft), Mid-Range (16.4ft – 26.2ft), or Far (26.2ft – 39.3ft).

Time Until Dim (when no motion detected)
    This setting changes the Brightness level to half the amount set in the Brightness setting when after motion is no longer detected. It is customizable for 30 seconds, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or OFF to automatically turn the light off when no motion is detected.

Ambient Light Sensor
    Select the amount of ambient light required with motion for the light to turn ON. This setting is ideal for outdoor locations where preference is to keep the light off when the ambient light is already bright enough to keep the area well lit. Select between Overcast, Dusk, Night, or OFF to turn the light on whenever motion is detected no matter what the ambient light level is.

Brightness (%)
    Set the brightness level of the light to 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%.

Time Until Off (when no motion detected)
    Select the duration the light stays on for before turning OFF after motion is no longer detected and after the duration set for Time Until Dim. Available durations include 30 seconds, 10 minutes, or 30 minutes, or turn OFF as soon as no motion is detected.

Splash-Proof and Dust-Proof Cover (Diffuser) for Indoor or Outdoor Use in Covered Areas
    Three Ceiling Mount Installation Options: Flush Mount, Hang Hook, or Hanging with Chains
    Suitable for Installation in Multiple Indoors and Covered Outdoor Locations
    No Humming
    No Bulbs to Replace or Dispose
    Diffuser Cover Helps Distribute Light More Evenly

Product Specifications:
    Output Voltage: 120Vac, 60 Hz
    Wattage: 48W In-Use or 1.5W Standby Mode
    Light Output: 3800 Lm
    Color Temperature: 4000K for Natural White
    LED Life Cycle: Up to 50,000 hrs
    Operating Temperature: -4°F up to +104°F (-20°C up to +40°C)
    Waterproof Rating: IP 65 (Splash-Proof)
    Product Dimensions: 45.6 x 4.9 x 3.3 inches (116.0 x 12.6 x 8.5 cm)
    Product Weight: 5.2 lb (2.4 kg)
    cETLus Approved for Use in the US or Canada

Package Includes:
    1 x LED Utility Light w/4.9ft (1.5m) Power Cord
    1 x User’s Manual
    1 x Measuring Template
    2 x 30 cm (12 in) Zinc-Plated Chains
    2 x Mounting Brackets
    2 x Hanging Hooks
    2 x Drywall Screws
    2 x Plastic Anchors
    2 x Wood Screws
    1 x Cable Bushing
    1 x Plastic Cap

I'm going to put /stick some LED strip Lights with a motion sensor to the bottom of the garage door tracks to improve lighting when the door is open.

Interesting. I had to replace the garage CFL after a power loss and low temp. Didn't work!. Neither did LED bulb! back to a NORMAL and it worked. Recently replaced 4 2x40W Flour. fixtures in the kitchen with 4 LED strips. Dang if 2 aren't already bad (converter is out). Really have to watch which brands you get, many are not very reliable.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Last winter I bought ten 48" LED shop lights from Home Depot and replaced all of the fluorescents in my shop. I still get a big grin every time I hit the switch and the place lights up at -10 , no flickering or fail to starts. gotta love it!

I do a lot of retro work changing florescent and incandescent lighting to LED. I have found, that if they will burn/work for a week, they will continue to work. All failures have been in the 1st 7 days. I am about 60% converted at home, if it burns out, it becomes LED..

Boolit Master
    The brand I got is GREEN WATT, got them at Sam's Club. Come two lights in a box.

I have three in the garage I can move depending on where I need the light.
    Have three more in my work room.
    Few more scattered around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_3857.jpg   xIMG_3862 copy.jpg  

Boolit Master
    My shop has been converted to all LED lighting. Much better than florescent lighting.

I changed my barn/shop over to LED last year as well. You can often find the 4' shop lights for under $20 each on sale. I took the old fluorescents that still worked and put them in the basement where the temp is more constant. I've also started using the screw-in LED light bulbs for all of my outdoor bulbs, and will be changing everything in the house over as the old ones burn out.

Idaho Power had a promotion lately where they sent out a sample of a few new products that save energy. In the package were six or eight LED screw in light bulbs. These provide a nice light. One thing strange, this may come from an ancient electrical system with the old screw in fuses and no ground wire to the lighting, but the LED bulbs still have a faint glow in the dark when the switch is off. Like a very dim night light. Gp

Boolit Master

I have 3 storage pods 2 20ft and 1 40 ft that I just installed LED shoplites in. I power them with a solar panel connected to a marine deep cell battery. They consume about 47 watts each that makes the battery last long enough for me to so some work out there. Haven't tested how long they will last before the voltage drops but they sure suit the purpose for now.

gmsharps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    The brand I got is GREEN WATT, got them at Sam's Club. Come two lights in a box.

I have three in the garage I can move depending on where I need the light.
    Have three more in my work room.
    Few more scattered around.
    arlon - I'm digging that old stereo receiver on your bench. Looks like an early 70's Pioneer SX series.
    Nice !

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Idaho Power had a promotion lately where they sent out a sample of a few new products that save energy. In the package were six or eight LED screw in light bulbs. These provide a nice light. One thing strange, this may come from an ancient electrical system with the old screw in fuses and no ground wire to the lighting, but the LED bulbs still have a faint glow in the dark when the switch is off. Like a very dim night light. Gp
    Funny you should mention that. My barn has the old screw-in fuses as well and I get a faint after-glow with my LEDs too...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    Funny you should mention that. My barn has the old screw-in fuses as well and I get a faint after-glow with my LEDs too...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
    Capacitance to ground is enough to cause a slight glow. I have the $20 LED shop lights from Costco. I know a professional artist who paints by them.

I replaced both wedge based back up lights in my car with $2 5Watt LEDs and have 3-4 times the light backing at night. I've had the 4" Semi Style LEDs on the pickup for years. I got Switchback LEDs For running lights in the front of the car that provide almost as much light as the headlights but change to amber when signaling.

During a power outage last year I noticed 3 lights burning in the window across the way. All LEDs one was burning at full intensity on 10-14 volts. My new house is all LED but the power has not been out yet so I can see if it works.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 01-27-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.