RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a plain base .30 cal boolit useful?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    That is what I said " The gas check is not bonded to the bullet and is hard enough to resist skidding so that even if the lead part does skid the check will still block gas bypassing the rifling."
    Maybe I'm not seeing your point here. If the lead is skidding and the check isn't accuracy will still be poor and the barrel will be terribly lead fouled causing accuracy to get worse with every shot.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have never had good accuracy from gc designs without checks, could be just me. I like having a PB design just for plinking and general loads. Then a heavy flatpoint with check for hunting loads. Shoot, nobody has just one 30 caliber mold, think there is some such requirement arround that
    I'm a rule breaker. I have one 30 caliber mold and use it for several 30 and 30ish caliber cartridges. I size it according to whatever I'm using it for. I even made a "trim die" to flat point it.

It is a gas check design but I don't use gas checks on them for sub-sonic loads. Accuracy un-checked is good enough for my use. I do intend to test them super sonic without gas checks when weather permits. I have some loaded in 300 BO for this purpose.

The no check on check design rule for accuracy is not universal. My 440gr Lee .501 is a gas check design and shoots so accurate without them I can't see how it could be any better.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Agreed, absolutes are a rarity. I arrived at my conclusion over 20 years ago without a lot of experimentation. We had been shooting an ideal design flat base that looked like a pb 31141, shot great without much effort. Tried the 311041 mold I had (made 2at a time , hi production) without check and it was not nearly as accurate. I've never been one to fight city hall, so have just shot pb in their application range and checked in the higher velocity ranges. Certainly not definitive, but it works for me. Also whenI see a 311041 sticking out of the case I know what its loaded for, same with the 311008. I tend to standardize on a common load set for each hunting gun, I'm not a particularly organized sort, gotta live within my nature.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    rking22, I really like your idea of being able to differentiate loads by just looking at the bullet shape. I think I will plan to develop loads for certain bullets and stop guessing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliboose View Post
    rking22, I really like your idea of being able to differentiate loads by just looking at the bullet shape. I think I will plan to develop loads for certain bullets and stop guessing!
    This is another way powder coating helps. Guys use different color boolits to differentiate between loads.

Motor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123