Load DataPBcastcoRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nosler proprietary cartridges

Boolit Master

Nosler proprietary cartridges

First - this appeared to be the best place to post this so if it's not mods feel free to move.

Now, I've known about these Nosler cartridges based on 404 Jeffrey cases (except for the 22....) for some time but never paid much attention ---- until, last year they came out with the 33 Nosler. Better ballistics than 338 Lapua and about 10-15% less powder. Now THAT really piqued my interest.

Sooo, I've got a 300 Weatherby mag (not a pretty one, synthetic stock etc..) and I *think* I can stuff a 338 barrel on it, open up the bolt by just a few thousands and won't have to make many other mods to rifle. This would be infinitely cheaper than buying the rifle outright and I haven't used the 300 WBY in ten years.

Just wondering if anyone else has been considering this (or any conversions to Nosler based on 404 Jeff parent case).

See any problems, etc I might run into? Suggestions? Good bad or indifferent give me some opinions please!

Many Thanks,

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I recently had a 28 nosler built on a T3 lite for a lightweight elk rifle. The fly in the ointment is that heavy for caliber bullets need to be seated well into the case in order to feed through the standard magazine, which keeps them well back from the lands due to the freebore built into the reamer design. The Nosler cartridges can be very accurate with a wide variety of loads, but to really take advantage of them you need to build on the next size longer action. My 28 Nosler will group very well with 175s through 195s using a variety of powders as long as I'm using COALs that keep the bullet close to the lands. Unfortunately that's about 3.6" for the 195s and no way they will feed through the T3, (or my WBY MK IV action). To really make it shine I should have built it on a longer action which would accommodate the Ultra mag length mag box. After some significant load workup I came up with a good load for the 175 grain ELD-x and RL33 at a length that will feed, but it is well below a max load due to the case capacity taken up by the deep seated bullet. My advice would be to get ahold of a single case, and the projectile you'd hope to use, and put a cartridge together at the optimal seating depth to get a number on the COAL before you start into the build.

Boolit Master

Thanks BD, I'm looking for once fired or new brass to do that as we speak but THANK YOU for that info. I haven't been this geeked in years. New build, new cartridge, new issues to work out. I live for this.

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

I've had a 338/300 RUM AKA .338 Edge for a number of years. It holds a little more powder than the .338 Lapua but uses a regular magnum bolt face and fits well within the Rem 700 design envelope. More case capacity means more performance potential. No proprietary brass either. Just a straight necked-up .300 RUM. That said, I know the 700 Police was chambered in 338LM, but there's not much steel containing 95gr of powder at 60ksi right next to your face and I've seen too many pictures of blown up .338 Rifles built on basic Remington/Savage actions. So I'd run a larger diameter bolt/receiver if I shot a .338LM.

The .338 Edge has a LOT of load data developed by Defensive Edge and has an existing reputation for being a consistent/accurate long range cartridge.

I don't think I agree with the 33 Nosler "out performing" the 338LM if comparing apples to apples. Given the same projectile weights/BCs same barrel length and run at the same pressures, then the cartridge with the larger powder capacity will generate the highest velocity. Period. So go with whatever blows your hair back, in the end it probably doesn't make that much difference inside 1000 yards.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    I've had a 338/300 RUM AKA .338 Edge for a number of years. It holds a little more powder than the .338 Lapua but uses a regular magnum bolt face and fits well within the Rem 700 design envelope. More case capacity means more performance potential. No proprietary brass either. Just a straight necked-up .300 RUM. That said, I know the 700 Police was chambered in 338LM, but there's not much steel containing 95gr of powder at 60ksi right next to your face and I've seen too many pictures of blown up .338 Rifles built on basic Remington/Savage actions. So I'd run a larger diameter bolt/receiver if I shot a .338LM.

The .338 Edge has a LOT of load data developed by Defensive Edge and has an existing reputation for being a consistent/accurate long range cartridge.

I don't think I agree with the 33 Nosler "out performing" the 338LM if comparing apples to apples. Given the same projectile weights/BCs same barrel length and run at the same pressures, then the cartridge with the larger powder capacity will generate the highest velocity. Period. So go with whatever blows your hair back, in the end it probably doesn't make that much difference inside 1000 yards.
    Agreed McFred -- it's all a part of marketing and we know how that goes......338 Edge has been on the short list for a few years, guess just love trying out new/proprietary cartridges.

Got a barrel ordered and looking at muzzle brakes now and Thank You for reminding me about a great cartridge. LOTS of new stuff coming out, some will make it some won't, but unless it falls on its head 33 Nosler looks like a good bet to make it.

Unless I'm *totally* off base, the next hot cartridge (for the AR platform...) is going to be 224 Valkyrie, UFB ballistics on that one too.

On the 33 Nosler, only the chronograph will tell!

Art

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Banned
    The hottest commercial 338 is the RUM with the Lapua almost the same. The 33 Nosler does not equal either IF the same bullets, bbl length and pressure are specified.

The Nosler cartridges are all good but not worth selling what magnums in the same calibers you have to get one.

Nothing new under the sun, right? What about the .338-378 Weatherby Magnum? Pretty sure that will outperform the 338LM too.

Boolit Master

Straight from Nosler -- NOSLER, not my chronograph:

"The Nosler family of cartridges began in 2014 with the introduction of the 26 Nosler, followed by the 28 Nosler in 2015, 30 Nosler in 2016 and now we’re ready to introduce the patriarch of the family – the 33 Nosler. The “33” shares the same parent case (404 Jeffery) as the rest of the family but fires .338 caliber bullets for the toughest of big game.

The 33 Nosler is capable of propelling a 225 gr AccuBond at 3025 fps and the brand new 265 gr AccuBond Long Range at 2775 fps. That’s 275 fps faster than the 338 Win Mag using the same length action and 25 fps faster than the 338 Lapua at the muzzle while burning 18% less powder. The 33 Nosler is SAAMI approved and will be supported with ammunition and components from Nosler beginning Q1 of 2017."

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    My 338 lapua is running a 300gr SMK at 2690fps and 250gr SMKs at 3050.....from a Remington Police.

The 28n is the best one of the Nosler rounds. That is if you throat it for 195gr Berger, it's a long range machine.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 01-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    My 338 lapua is running a 300gr SMK at 2690fps and 250gr SMKs at 3050.....from a Remington Police.

The 28n is the best one of the Nosler rounds. That is if you throat it for 195gr Berger, it's a long range machine.

Exactly. Always respected your posts dude. This is for the naysayers. When the barrel goes on it will be throated for the Hornady ELD-X 270 grain projectile -- that thing has a G1 BC of .757, UFB. Most don't understand G7, I do thanks to Brian Litz. Granted that will leave an extra .200 or so of freebore if I want to shoot 200 grains out of it but I've got a .338 Federal that will drill them in with 200 grains and I've got a ton of rifles with close to that much freebore that shoot MOA of deer to 200 yards....

The main problem with all the naysayers on this thread is 338 Lapua blah blah blah. OK fine. The main issue with 270 grain bullets in 33 Nosler when you use the long bullets is case capacity and I intend on curing that. We will see what the youngsters and tacticool crowd say when I get chronograph data from this round. I'm willing to BET it's CLOSE to 338 Lapua Mag velocities if not better when I get done.

I ain't no virgin boys, been wrong before and it will just be another $400 mistake in a long list of failures of which I am NOT afraid....for your enjoyment.....

Art

PS -- yeah yeah I know, it ain't purty but it's effective, just like me................

——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    You’ll be in there somewhere around 340wb and 338L numbers. Nosler has a habit of inflating their numbers, a lot of people that never shoot more than 300 yards take it for gospel because the ballistics are close when they get out and shoot right before deer season.

I’ll be interested in seeing your real life numbers.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

What makes you say they are proprietary cartridges? They are SAAMI registered so the specs are available for anyone to use, no more proprietary than the 270 Winchester... Sure they named them but lots of companies have created cartridges that are not proprietary that are still named for the company that created them. The 300 Whisper is a proprietary cartridge, the 300 AAC Blackout isn't.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    What makes you say they are proprietary cartridges? They are SAAMI registered so the specs are available for anyone to use, no more proprietary than the 270 Winchester... Sure they named them but lots of companies have created cartridges that are not proprietary that are still named for the company that created them. The 300 Whisper is a proprietary cartridge, the 300 AAC Blackout isn't.
    Good lord. If you want to argue instead of partake in the conversation why even comment?

Nosler cartridges based on 404 Jeffrey cases. Either contribute or don't. I won't argue.

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Where is the argument? I asked a question.

Banned
    The 33 Nosler does not have better ballistics that a 338 Lapua. Nor does it get better performance with less powder. Same bbl lengths and bullets the Lapua (or 338 RUM) wins. More powder always equals more velocity if other variables are the same.

The rim diameter of the 338 RUM and your 300 Bee are virtually the same. Just like a 6.5x55 will work in an 30-06 boltface, I believe your's would accomodate a 338 RUM.

FYI any of the big 338s are the hammer of Thor. I have shot a 700 in 338 RUM w/o a brake. It was horrible. I have a 338 RUM bench gun that weighs 17 pounds with a brake that belongs on an M-1 Abrahms. Nice to bang steel with at long range. I can't imagine any hunting application for any of the big 338s. If I can't kill it with a 300 winny, I'l take a 375 H&H, both far nicer to shoot.

Boolit Master

According to Nosler published data --- it DOES. Don't know why some of you are so apprehensive about this cartridge.

I have a ton of 338's 458's etc and none are too bad to shoot, however, I've got a Ruger Frontier 300WSM (6-7lbs) that is the most violently recoiling little mother I own.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until someone comes up with chronograph data before I can really defend this thread from the naysayers. Lord I do love stirring the pot I guess...

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Banned
    Nosler published data is just that NOSLER published data. There is no way a cartridge that holds less powder can exceed the ballistics of one that holds more IF all other variables are held equal.

33 Nosler
    265 gr (17.2 g) Nosler AccuBond LongRange 2,775 ft/s (846 m/s) 4,545 ft⋅lbf (6,162 J)
    338 Lapua
    19.44 g (300 gr) Lapua Scenar GB528 VLD 837 m/s (2,750 ft/s) 6,810 J (5,020 ft⋅lbf)

Seems the Lapua wins easily.

As Will Rodgers said: "all I know is what I read."

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Where is the argument? I asked a question.
    It seems like he is the one that wants to argue or else is just trying to show everyone how much he thinks of himself and his opinions. (post #10 is confirmation of sorts) Why else would someone start a thread asking for suggestions and opinions then respond how he has.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    It seems like he is the one that wants to argue or else is just trying to show everyone how much he thinks of himself and his opinions. (post #10 is confirmation of sorts) Why else would someone start a thread asking for suggestions and opinions then respond how he has.
    DKF -

Didn't mean to come across like that at all, I appreciate good information I have gotten and really didn't mean to come across as arguementitive, sorry. Just thought people would be more excited about this cartridge than they have been.

NO offense meant towards anyone dude. So sorry I even started this at this point. Been here a long time and guys used to get excited about new cartridges, maybe I'm out of touch. I'm old so maybe that's part of it too.

Sorry guys,

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master

See that's the thing, I am excited about them. I have a 22 nosler AR and want norepinephrine of the larger ones. But I kind of object to them being called proprietary because they aren't and because I'm excited about the cartridges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast