RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nosler proprietary cartridges

Banned
    Assume we can agree that while the 33 may be a fine cartridge and fit in a 3.34" action, it is NOT as fast as a 338 RUM/Lapua ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-96 Hunter View Post
    Assume we can agree that while the 33 may be a fine cartridge and fit in a 3.34" action, it is NOT as fast as a 338 RUM/Lapua ?
    I would and I will as soon as my chronograph shows it to be true, remember, I'm using Nosler words and not mine as referenced by post #8 above.

I really haven't meant to be a jerk and get all butt hurt over this post but.....<sigh> I have been and I was, just excited about building a new cartridge and rifle.

Now, after lots of study, it appears Nosler is making the claim based on 225 grain bullets as referenced here:

33 Nosler 225 grain ballistics:

https://fusiontables.googleuserconte...&tmplt=1&cpr=1

338 Lapua 225 grain ballistics (per Nosler ammo)

https://fusiontables.googleuserconte...&tmplt=1&cpr=1

These are Nosler claims and not mine and I do apologize for being a ******* M-96.

300 grain bullets I don't think 33 Nos even comes close to 338 Lapua -- I just checked and it doesn't, but darn close for a much smaller cartridge.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Banned
    They are all horrible to shoot in a standard weight unbraked rifle. That's why the 338-06 is so popular, will kill anything in the lower 48, shot at an ethical range with the right j-bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Art,

Passion is a good thing when properly directed. Most of get is that way, or life would be BORING.

I hope to shoot with you this year but I will pass on even trying the .33 Nosler. I fired 10 rounds out a .338 Win Mag about 45 years ago and I was done with the big boomers. My .300 Mag wears a brake and have never shot it naked.

Good luck on your project. Looking forward to updates as you make progress.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Man you boys must either think I'm brave, tough, or very, very stupid! The 33 has a very nice Shrewd custom brake going on it, wouldn't have planned otherwise!

I've got several 338's, off top of my head one Ruger #1 and one tang safety M77 and they don't bother me a bit. I can bench shoot them all day.

That being said as I stated before I have a lightweight Ruger Frontier rifle in 300 WSM -- first time of the bench with that one I thought I'd been in a bar fight again....WOW....then...my wife says she like it.....ok....here ya' go.....honey. She takes it, stands up and racks off five rounds and declares it is now her new Elk rifle....OK DEAR! All yours! It's not that bad to shoot standing up and riding back with it but off the bench it just kicks your shoulder to death. One solution to this has been a 1" thick shoulder pad.....

I have Marlin carbines in 444 and 450 Marlin, OH! and 45-70. The only one that bothers me is the 450 when I've got cranked up loads in it but it's still a great Rifle and I love to shoot it, I just love the big bore stuff although the 33 Nosler just might get me an edumacation! Hope so!

Now you boys raised some good points to ponder, mainly that I'm now thinking about putting a brake on the tang safety 338 Winmag and to tell the truth on those Marlins (all JM stamped) they have factory brakes on them and I didn't consider that.

Getting an education on brass too. The first 25 33N brass I got from Midway were about $3/each....then I ran across a sale on loaded ammo that was less than half that....sheesh.

My *main* calibers that I shoot a LOT of are .308 (my personal favorite), .223/5.56 (a Joy to shoot out of anything), 30-06 (a classic you can't go wrong with), and .243 Winchester with 95 grain bullets and 40-41 grains of 4350 -- now that is a real live deer slayer when placed properly!

33 Nosler is still at my gunsmiths, he's a busy guy but can't wait to get it back and bang away!

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Banned
    As an aside, the CZ 557 is now going to be made in the Nosler chamberings. Looks like a helluva rifle South of $900.

Boolit Master

As an aside, the CZ 557 is now going to be made in the Nosler chamberings. Looks like a helluva rifle South of $900.
    That's a great deal! Gotta check that out!

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Banned
    It said so in G&A but there don't seem to be any to be bought. Hope they don't put the silly 20.5" bbl on it like the current calibers.

Boolit Master

It said so in G&A but there don't seem to be any to be bought. Hope they don't put the silly 20.5" bbl on it like the current calibers.
    Yeah you aren't kidding, those barrels have a purpose but not on these calibers. The Bartlien going on my 33 Nosler is going to be 26" and shoot, maybe 28" or 30" would be better, just don't want that much of an imbalance in the gun M-96.

"M-96", you'd probably shoot me if you knew how many of those I cut down to 22", forged/welded on bolts, D&T for scopes, and drop in a Fajen or Bishop stock. I still have a couple of numbers matching that I was going to fancy up for myself, but when I bought them they were $79.95/by the case from Century. I cringe when I see the prices at gun shows these days....

One of two things I value in a dangerous game Rifle, a Mauser claw, or Sako style extractor. A buddy of mine went out west hunting Mountain Lions and the pictures he sent back almost gave me a heart attack --- I had NO idea those cats got as big as what he showed me. Being from Michigan we have Lynx, bobcat, black bear, and The Wolverines have started to make a comeback.....Wolverines scare me to death....

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    There was lions in the Truck Trails out side of Standish Michigan when I grew up. I'm not sure what ever happened to them, DNR was pretty well in denial about it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

It's coming together nicely! Muzzle brake is a custom Shrewd brake.

Attachment 214932

Attachment 214933

Attachment 214934
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Deer must be getting bigger in NW Mi. I acquired a BAR in 338Win Mag. Shot pumpkins with it with 225 gr Cor-Locs. Pumpkins exploded! way more destructive than 30/06 with 165gr hunting loads. Not sure I would feel right about shooting a deer with it. May get a chance at elk In Washington or Oregon. Enjoy your new gun. Everyone NEEDS a gun that will kill something bigger that he will ever hunt. Never can tell when a Mastadon or dinosaur may come out of the wood and need to be dispatched.

Boolit Master
    Ppq 45

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Ppq 45
    OK I'll bite --- what is Ppq 45.....
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Deer must be getting bigger in NW Mi. I acquired a BAR in 338Win Mag. Shot pumpkins with it with 225 gr Cor-Locs. Pumpkins exploded! way more destructive than 30/06 with 165gr hunting loads. Not sure I would feel right about shooting a deer with it. May get a chance at elk In Washington or Oregon. Enjoy your new gun. Everyone NEEDS a gun that will kill something bigger that he will ever hunt. Never can tell when a Mastadon or dinosaur may come out of the wood and need to be dispatched.
    Hey Duck!

Yeah, simply because I want one, I know I'm crazy but the caliber intrigues me. Been trying for years for an Elk tag but no joy. Got 338's too but I had that Vangaurd just sitting there and had to do something with it. Got a 1,000 yard range within a couple hours and will get there sooner or later too.

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12