Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need help to identify this Sharps builder

Boolit Mold

Question Need help to identify this Sharps builder

I have this Sharps clone (Italian I assume) that you folks can probably help me identify. It started out life as a carbine and now sports a 32" barrel. Single trigger and the interesting and identifying feature is a safety built into the breech block. This safety is a little toggle which prevents the firing pin from reaching the cartridge.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Swiss

Boolit Buddy
    I believe some IAB sharps had this feature.

Boolit Master
    The IAB Sharps is the one with the safety tab where the hammer strikes the firing pin. I bought one of these back in 1982 and still have it. Most guys with Sharps replicas joke that IAB means "It's always broken". They are nice rifles, but not as nice as the other replicas. The main problem with them is that they had a really terrible chamber. It looks more like they were chambered with a Morse taper reamer than a 45-70 chambering reamer. Because yours is rebarreled, presumably that takes care of the biggest short coming on the factory rifle. Some spare parts are still available for them through Numrich gun parts corp., and there are still some of the double set triggers available from other sites on the web. (I've heard reviews that some of the components in the double set triggers don't have a very good case hardening, but that isn't anything that some Kasenet won't cure) These are fun rifles to shoot, and I killed my first deer with mine many moons ago.

Boolit Master
    The IABs were built to a price ...mine was about 1/3 the price of a Shiloh......The main fault with my IAB is idiots chanting "its alluz broke" every time I take it to the range.Otherwise its fired thousands of shots without failure...but it could do with better sights.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I only paid about $600 for the gun and it came with long range tang sites and the barrel is pristine. I'm sure the trigger has been overhauled as it breaks right at 2 lbs and 4 oz consistently. I'll give it the range test.

Thanks again!

Ken in Idaho

Boolit Master
    Swiss: I'd like to read your range report after you shoot the rifle. The IAB actions are every bit as reliable as the more expensive replicas, and I've read that competitive target rifles have been made up from them by doing some good gunsmithing on them. It sounds like you made a very good deal on yours, as the trigger pull and new barrel means that someone made the efforts to improve the rifle. I've got a BRC barrel blank that's waiting for me to get my metal lathe running again. I plan on replacing the barrel with a better one, and installing a double set trigger. I have the long range tang sight, but never much cared for it. (It's right where my hand grips the wrist of the stock, and isn't ideal in lower light situations - like in the woods)) I've been thinking about putting a "Malcolm" style scope sight on it, as I have only ever used it as a hunting rifle.
    There are many improvements that can be made to the IAB Sharps, but there is one criticism that I have, and it applies to every Sharps rifle (including the originals). Carrying those things up the sides of mountains on hunting trips, you might as well be carrying a section of railroad rail on your shoulder! Those rifles are so heavy you don't need to join a health club to lift weights - just get a Sharps!

Boolit Master

Lock parts are soft and QC on these rifles is atrocious. I had one that a friend worked over and had it running pretty nice but why not get a good rifle that you don't have to pay to have the work done on it. I only paid $265 for the one I bought and I didn't have to pay for the work, but these rifles were all returned because of problems. One that another friend bought had a chamber that looked like you could get a beer can in there.
    It sounds like the one you got was reworked already so it might be fine. I know of 2 that were rebarreled to 38-50 and were fine rifles.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!