MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member, Learning caster

Boolit Bub

New member, Learning caster

Good morning,

I recently joined the forum after reading and lurking for a couple of years. There is a ton of knowledge here. I have been shooting, hunting, and handloading for 30+ years but have never cast a bullet. I do recall my father casting round balls for his muzzle loader when I was much younger.

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and start casting my own. I am starting from scratch equipment and supply wise. Looking forward to the journey. I expect to primarily cast for 327 FM and the associated 32s, 38 Super, and 45 ACP.

Two Barrels

Boolit Master

Welcome.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Great, welcome aboard.

Perhaps you could post a video/pictorial post of all your efforts, getting started with the equipment, wins & fails/trials & tribulations of the beginning caster...basically a log of your trip into our craft & the creations of your efforts.

Might be worthwhile to follow, it's been a few moons since I was in your shoes...

c h a r l i e
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Vendor Sponsor

Welcome .. Its a satisfying feeling when you look at a pile of just cast bullets and know you are not subject to supply and demand of the times
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the forum. All kinds of help here. If you ask there may be a member near you that's willing to help you get started and point you in the right direction. Read up on the process as much as you can, handle equipment in stores shops or gun shows. See what "feels" right to you. The Lyman cast bullet handbook has a good section on casting, alloying, and the how hat and why. Its a good read thru and informative. The calibers you want to load should respond well to your cast bullets. The knowledge is here with the membership free for the taking all you need to do is supply the container.

Welcome, You'll start saving money anytime now. You will know when you have the casting experience down when you start to acquire moulds for calibers you don't even own.....yet. It is really nice to know you're not at the mercy of J word prices for general shooting.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Vendor Sponsor

I should add there is a lot to learn about bullet fit and alloy verses speed .. Do not be afraid to ask ..
    and you may get varying opinions on how to proceed but the fun is in testing and find what works for you
    start with small batches prove it works for you then make larger batches
    good luck to you
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned
    Two Barrels Welcome to the addiction.
    As you probably already know, the google search box near the top right of the forum page and http://www.lasc.us/ are great resources.

Minerat's comment in purple denotes sarcasm I have (and most of us) have not saved money bbut we've more and more accurately

Like Smoke said, "Size does matter" The most important rule for success in cast boolit casting/reloading is to have the right size boolit for the bore of your firearms.
    1st slug the barrel of the firearm you're casting to reload (I slug every gun I get search slugging a barrel)
    2nd propper alloy for your desired application and speed

A sizing die makes for boolit size and loading consistency (you'll find that many molds do not drop round boolits)

my 2˘ look into Powder Coating "PC" it is a simple, economical way to lube your boolit, protect you from handling lead and add color to you loading ( there are many threads on powdercoating, if you decide to PC get you first materials from Smoke, a VS (vendor sponsor on this site so you have PC proven to work well))

Different ways to post pictures
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-screen-shots
    Last edited by Grmps; 01-20-2018 at 02:42 PM.

It's a slippery slope you're going down - but very satisfying. If I can re-iterate what Grmps said, consider PC or Hi-Tek coating for your boolits. It might seem like another level of complication, but it's far better than messing around with lubes (particularly for pistol calibres, where you will probably be doing lots of them).

Lot's of great info so far, I might add..

I started casting about 7 years ago. No knowledge or mentor. Tons of reading here and on other sites. Equipment is about reference and budget. A tough one to juggle at times. For me, I chose a bottom pour pot, it has been a good choice. For sizing dies, I started with Lee, they are good but found out later that NOE makes a push through sizer for much less. As for dies, you can't go wrong with Accurate or NOE and Lee has some good ones too. I prefer aluminum because of the weight. I already stress my wrists at work, don't need to do it for pleasure also. AS for lube, I never lubed a bullet, I went straight into powder coating and could not be happier.

Hope this helps in some way,,oh and Lyman cast bullet handbook is a must.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Aboard!

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard sir.You will find a well rounded bunch of fine folks here.Some replies will have you laughing until your sides hurt.Others will have you wanting to tear out your hair,until you remember that there are many paths to the same destination.Some more twisting and turning than others.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Welcome to amazingly satisfying hobby.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

welcome from a newbie here too . i'm in a similar situation myself. bought 2 quality moulds, a lubrisizer, a melter, an oven (because i bet somewhere down the road you will start to coat your castings lol) ..basically started from a blank page too. i wish you and me good luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Welcome to amazingly satisfying hobby.
    Don't let Rcmaveric fool ya. �� It can become an addiction!! A satisfying one at that but the first time you buy a mold for a gun you hope to own someday you know you're hooked. The addiction come in many forms. Like buying tires from the guy that is generous with wheel weights. Other forms of serious addiction is spending 20 minutes digging a wheel weight out of asphalt or removing all the wheel weights from your car before heading to the tire shop.

Just kidding of coarse. Like Rcmaveric says, it's amazingly satisfying. The first time you print a pretty cluster on a paper target or down your game with a single shot. You're hopelessly addicted for life.

Welcome aboard, there is plenty of knowledge here and an amazing amount of experience.

Boolit Master

You poor soul, you will soon be consumed by this obsession. I however have not not been overtaken one bit. I started casting in the 1970s (dad taught me) I only have two melting pots, several large smelting pots, a dedicated stainless steel ladle just for smelting, 40 some odd molds, most for 45acp (a couple for 45 Colt) doubles of a bunch of molds so I can cast when I am in CA or Colorado, a lead supplier who is on speed dial, friendly relationships with several tire shops. Darn, I just remembered that my Caster's Anonymous meeting is next week. Have fun, you will really enjoy making your own. BTW, I powder coat everything of late, you should check that out.
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-21-2018 at 03:07 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    You poor soul, you will soon be consumed by this obsession. I however have not not been overtaken one bit. I started casting in the 1970s (dad taught me) I only have two melting pots, several large smelting pots, a dedicated stainless steel ladle just for smelting, 40 some odd molds, most for 45acp (a couple for 45 Colt) doubles of a bunch of molds so I can cast when I am in CA or Colorado, a lead supplier who is on speed dial, friendly relationships with several tire shops. Darn, I just remembered that my Caster's Anonymous meeting is next week. Have fun, you will really enjoy making your own. BTW, I powder coat everything of late, you should check that out.
    Is that all you got?? You best stand up at the next Castaholics Anonymous meeting and say, "I'm fcvan and I've only accumulated 40 molds".

Boolit Bub
    I appreciate the welcome! I cannot think of a single hobby of mine that ever saved me one cent. I expect this one to be no different. My father asked me the other day why I wanted to start casting. My answer was “because I can”. If I can do it myself, why would I ever pay someone else to? I am also the same guy that never asks for directions. Drives my wife crazy at times. By the way, she is not yet aware of my intentions with casting. She’ll learn that in due course.

I have actually had the Lyman Casting book for about 4 years and have read it several times. This can all be blamed on my wife as she gave me the book for Christmas then. See, I have an out.

Here are my plans to get started:

1. I have a PM into the Captain to start with some clean lead, WWs.
    2. Acquire a Lee Pro 4-20, they are on sale at a couple of places.
    3. Get a Lyman ladle.
    4. Slug the barrel of each pistol I plan to cast for, twice. (I am a mechanical engineer by education and OCD if you ask my family, I agree only to a small degree).
    5. Clean up my garage and shop, just a little.
    6. Pick up the following molds to start: Clone of the H&G #68 200gr SWC and a 98gr WC design for the 32s.
    7. Melt some lead and cast some bullets.
    8. Pick up an RCBS lubrisizer and appropriate sizing dies and lube.
    9. Load some up and head to the range.

I expect this process to take a couple of months before I get to the range. I am sure I will ask many questions before then.

It is a pleasure to try and answer questions...especially when asked by someone who has done their homework.
    Don't worry about the 'OCD' thing...it's really a 'badge of honor' that only the few can aspire to then achieve.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    I appreciate the welcome! I cannot think of a single hobby of mine that ever saved me one cent. I expect this one to be no different. My father asked me the other day why I wanted to start casting. My answer was “because I can”. If I can do it myself, why would I ever pay someone else to? I am also the same guy that never asks for directions. Drives my wife crazy at times. By the way, she is not yet aware of my intentions with casting. She’ll learn that in due course.

I have actually had the Lyman Casting book for about 4 years and have read it several times. This can all be blamed on my wife as she gave me the book for Christmas then. See, I have an out.

Here are my plans to get started:

1. I have a PM into the Captain to start with some clean lead, WWs.
    2. Acquire a Lee Pro 4-20, they are on sale at a couple of places.
    3. Get a Lyman ladle.
    4. Slug the barrel of each pistol I plan to cast for, twice. (I am a mechanical engineer by education and OCD if you ask my family, I agree only to a small degree).
    5. Clean up my garage and shop, just a little.
    6. Pick up the following molds to start: Clone of the H&G #68 200gr SWC and a 98gr WC design for the 32s.
    7. Melt some lead and cast some bullets.
    8. Pick up an RCBS lubrisizer and appropriate sizing dies and lube.
    9. Load some up and head to the range.

I expect this process to take a couple of months before I get to the range. I am sure I will ask many questions before then.
    First off Welcome to the forum and the addiction. The above posts pretty well cover things. Sounds to me like you are well on your way. This is a very rewarding passion that we all in here suffer from. Nothing like the satisfaction of casting , sizing , loading, and shooting something that YOU made. As a fellow 30+year reloader I understand the hook you already have In your lip. Loading alone is addictive. However I find it very therapeutic to cast , and spend countless hours per month in my gun room. My wife calls it " THE HOLE" . - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast