MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member, Learning caster

From and OCD guy too (CE) a few wrinkles in the boolits does not mean you can't "choot 'em". I spent a month trying to make perfect factory looking boolits and finally after gave up. I decided that if the bases had sharp edges and most of the drive bands were good then I'd see how they shot. The minor wrinkles did not affect my ability to hit the cans or steel poppers I was shooting at or kept my 11 year old Grandson from having fun with the big bore pistols. Maybe if my obsession was bulls eye then I might be more particular. But I cast to be able to shoot more. As they said above ask ask ask questions SOMEONE on here knows the answer, they might not tell you directly but will at least direct you to the threads that will head you in the right direction.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    Great feeling when you remember the pile of junk(miscealeneous things made out of lead)you turned into beautiful bullets!And you got all the excuses in the world to justify to your loved one:you are recycling junk(what some people translate into''giving things a second life'').Besides,I'll let you into one of the best kept secrets we casters use to explain why we needed that new bullet mould,or thermometer,or that melting furnace,or...well you got the point:to save the planet from all that nasty lead that's going to waste in the nature.
    Don't anybody reading this here tell my wife...you might hear about me for the last time...in the orbituaries!

Banned

I have been reloading for several years and as an extension from posts on this and a few other forums got into casting my own pills. Let me tell you from experience, for casting, this IS the forum to be on. These people know what they are talking about, the amount of knowledge and experience here is awesome. I have not yet asked a question here without getting several answers. I've not been a member as long as most of these guys but I get here as often as I can to usually get info. From time to time I am able to give a little info, which to me is a small pay back for what I glean from them. Enjoy the addiction and have a lot of fun. Be safe.

Boolit Mold
    Welcome! Casting is very rewarding!

And down the rabbit hole he falls. Welcome to the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Good morning,

I recently joined the forum after reading and lurking for a couple of years. There is a ton of knowledge here. I have been shooting, hunting, and handloading for 30+ years but have never cast a bullet. I do recall my father casting round balls for his muzzle loader when I was much younger.

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and start casting my own. I am starting from scratch equipment and supply wise. Looking forward to the journey. I expect to primarily cast for 327 FM and the associated 32s, 38 Super, and 45 ACP.

Two Barrels
    hello.

i was in the same boat than you only 8 months ago. came to this site,learned the ropes via the search function,then reading across numerous highly informative threads on equipment and casting techniques. 8 months after , i'm well equiped and i cast my own perfect little boolits and they shoot great.

that's how it is .

also, the tremendous amount of pro casters present on the forum aren't shy of giving highly valuable
    advices if you ask, so you drive in the right direction without having to walk into the trial-error process normally associated with learning the technique when there's no councellors around haha!

as for the minimum equipement required to start ; while in my case , i choose to get the best equipment i could afford to facilitate the whole process,it's still true that only a pot,a mold and some lead gets you started at low cost .

probably the best forum in the country haha!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    I appreciate the welcome! I cannot think of a single hobby of mine that ever saved me one cent. I expect this one to be no different. My father asked me the other day why I wanted to start casting. My answer was “because I can”. If I can do it myself, why would I ever pay someone else to? I am also the same guy that never asks for directions. Drives my wife crazy at times. By the way, she is not yet aware of my intentions with casting. She’ll learn that in due course.

I have actually had the Lyman Casting book for about 4 years and have read it several times. This can all be blamed on my wife as she gave me the book for Christmas then. See, I have an out.

Here are my plans to get started:

1. I have a PM into the Captain to start with some clean lead, WWs.
    2. Acquire a Lee Pro 4-20, they are on sale at a couple of places.
    3. Get a Lyman ladle.
    4. Slug the barrel of each pistol I plan to cast for, twice. (I am a mechanical engineer by education and OCD if you ask my family, I agree only to a small degree).
    5. Clean up my garage and shop, just a little.
    6. Pick up the following molds to start: Clone of the H&G #68 200gr SWC and a 98gr WC design for the 32s.
    7. Melt some lead and cast some bullets.
    8. Pick up an RCBS lubrisizer and appropriate sizing dies and lube.
    9. Load some up and head to the range.

I expect this process to take a couple of months before I get to the range. I am sure I will ask many questions before then.

I highly recommend Titan Reloading. They have one of the banner ads at the top of the page. You can buy Lee stuff from them at a better price than Lee will give you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12