RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about the 327 fed. single six and sevens

questions about the 327 fed. single six and sevens

do the ruger single six and single seven in 327 federal mag have the same frame? also in this caliber, and the H&R, a S&W shorts and longs, do the gas check designs use 30 or 32 caliber checks? I use 30 cal check in my sks and mosin nagant, and they are the same diameter at about 312-313, and I think ( but don't know for sure), that the 32 cal gas check are for bullets like the 8mm ( 318-323 I believe)? would love some input form one of them many experts 'round here! thanks a lot, have a good'un- Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    The 327s, 32 H&Rs, 32 SWL and any other 32 handgun caliber use 30 cal (0.312 or there about) gas checks. The 32 handgun calibers are really just slightly fat 30 cals.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Nevermind
    Last edited by str8wal; 01-19-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Boolit Master

I'm sorry, but the single seven is built on the single six frame. It has a longer cylinder for the .327. The Blackhawk is an 8 shot. The odd number of chambers makes the bolt cuts not affect the wall thickness.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    I'm sorry, but the single seven is built on the single six frame. It has a longer cylinder for the .327. The Blackhawk is an 8 shot. The odd number of chambers makes the bolt cuts not affect the wall thickness.
    My mistake. Was one off on chambers........

so the seven shot has the bolt cuts in between the chambers? I thought ruger did that in all their guns, but it does make sense

Boolit Master
    I have a passel of 327s that I shoot MO bullet co .314 bullets through with all the H110 I can stuff behind them, no gas check, with no leading. Why would I gas check? All the barrels I've slugged run around.311-.312, I like the forcing cone .314. I did open the FCs on my S&W, but all my Ruger guns have been fine.

Boolit Master

I run all my Smiths and my SP101 with .314 sized bullets. They do great. Accurate and no leading.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

well, I was just looking at some of the loads, and some are getting up to around 1400 fps or a tidbit more, seems like the low-end border for gas check to me, but I have been wrong before, but I do have plent of gc's around, and it really isn't any extra trouble to put them on when i lube+size them, so I figured, why not?

just read the response to the 30 carbine Blackhawk thread, I suppose if that doesn't need gas check, then I probably wont either...... does anyone really see any changes in accuracy between the GC boolits and PB boolits?

Moderator Emeritus

It depends on velocities. If you push the 327 F fast it could help. Plinking and target loads don't, neither do the 32 Mags.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Proper boolit fit seems to have more to do with leading, that's proper sized throat, no thread constriction in the barrel, and a boolit that's not too hard seems to be the keys to lead free pistol shooting. I'm shooting the cowboy#6 100gr at 12bh kicking them with all the H110 that will fit, no leading!

Boolit Grand Master
    Top end 327 loads (1500 + fps,) will most likely need gas checks. Not guaranteed, but likely. My 7 1/2 inch Single seven seems to utterly disdain the need for gas checks at any velocity, refusing to lead at all. The 5 1/2 inch gun does lead at the top end. My SP 101 will show just a bit of forcing cone leading after 100 rounds or so. The Black Hawk that I had did not lead, but boy was it accurate. However I only used starting loads in it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	212350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	212351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	212352
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rintinglen, I had one of the Buckeye Specials with cylinders for 32-20 and 32 H&R but let in go in a time of stupidity. When the 327 FM Blackhawk 8 shooter came out I grabbed one up and am not likely to let it slip away! The single six/seven doesn’t hold quite the allure for me though. I want my 327 to be capable of handling brute power!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Brute loads of 327 are like a 22lr in that big ole black hawk to boot!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well for me the Blackhawk was too much gun for that cartridge, too heavy, but it would shoot, and it would shoot the heavy boolits at longer lengths than the single 7 can manage. Both of my Single 7's took a fair bit of finagling before they were functional, unlike the Black Hawk. I did some trigger work on the Sp101 to get the trigger pull down. It came from the factory at almost 7 pounds SA and a whole lot over my 12 lb. gauge DA. Now it is about 4 lbs and a smidge over 12 DA.
    What I have found is that so far, every 327 I have fired has been very accurate, that 7 1/2 inch gun exceptionally so. I hope Ruger makes a pencil barrel SP101, with the profile of the 22 version, but 5 inch. That would be sweet.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Yep, a 5" sp .327 would be perfect - and 6 shots too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Yep, a 5" sp .327 would be perfect - and 6 shots too.
    That's getting pretty close to my "Project 616," a stainless custom 327 FM built on a S&W Model 66 using a rebored 4" barrel from a Model 617... of course it has the full under lug so it's a little heavier than the "pencil barrel" you describe.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Well good luck with that froggie!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Well good luck with that froggie!
    Good luck has already occurred and been enjoyed. I finished Project 616 several years ago and have had the Blackhawk 327 FM almost a year longer. They are both high performance "vehicles" for a round with high performance potential. As has been suggested, both are over designed for the caliber, but give lots of reserve strength for experimenting with higher performance loads. BTW, with warm loads both of these guns are more reminiscent of 38 +P than anything else I can think of. In those platforms, however, recoil is not objectionable and is quite controllable.

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast