Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Thanks - first casting session a success.

Boolit Master

Thanks - first casting session a success.

Using the Roto Metals 16/1 out of my Lee Pro Pot at 700+ deg. (RCBS thermometer) into a Lee 6 cav 158 swc tumble lube mold prepped with kroil I got a pile of almost perfect boolits. Could not have done it so well the first time without all the great info on this board.

The boolits were air cooled so I was surprised that they measured .361. Too large to chamber in both my revolvers. Was hoping for .358 to .359. Guess I'll contact Lee and see if they can get me a mold that throws at .358. Otherwise I will need to size which I had hoped to avoid.

Boolit Buddy

CC your probably going to end up sizing in my opinion to get consistency. I do have an extra lee push through sizing die in .358 if you end up having to size and I live MN so let me know
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I was going to recommend sizing anyway. It's no the only way to get really, really consistent boolits, but it doesn't take long with a Lee push-through, and the peace of mind knowing all my boolits are exactly the same as each other is worth spending the extra $20 for a die, and 60 minutes/500 boolits.
    Currently in the process of developing the "perfect" cast .223 load for my AR-15. Click here to follow my progress

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to The Club!

Boolit Master

some folks say the bullet will size itself as it enters the bore

that being said, I size all mine
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I loaded 1 round and it would not chamber in my 27 or my sp. Ordered a Lee sizer in .358 and also one in .430 for the .44 Bisley that's inbound.

Boolit Master
    I started casting in 1979 or 1980. Had no help but learned. Same way with reloading, started in 1969 or 1970. Just was showed how to do the very, very, very basic. Size, deprime, reprise, bell the case and seat and crimp the bullet. Only showed that one time. But still learned.
    One thing is for sure when you learn something on your own and don't have someone or the shooting forums to fall back on one tends to remember what they learn.
    Am I somewhat jealous, probably.

Banned
    Cosmic_Charlie,
    welcome to the wonderful world of cast boolits.

You would need a custom mold created specifically for the allow you plan to use if you want the boolits to drop at a certain size
    Different alloys will drop at different sizes and weights from the same mold
    A little reading here will help explain
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

The most important rule for success in cast boolit casting/reloading is to have the right size boolit for the bore of your firearms.
    1st slug the barrel of the firearm you're casting for to reload (I slug every gun I get search slugging a barrel)
    2nd propper alloy for your desired application

A sizing die makes for boolit size and loading consistency (you'll find that many molds do not drop round boolits)

my 2¢ look into Powder Coating "PC" it is a simple, economical way to lube your boolit, protect you from handling lead and add color to you loading ( there are many threads on powdercoating, if you decide to PC get you first materials from Smoke, a VS (vendor sponsor on this site so you have PC proven to work well))

Shop around when buying Lee push through dies, they frequently go on sale.
    for me, Amazon has generally (not always) had the best prices.

Boolit Master
    Yeah Grmps, I taught myself to reload too. I read the Speer manual that came with my Rock Chucker press kit.
    I got no problem sizing my cast boolits. My plan is to keep them around 1000 fps or whatever is accurate. Mixed up 10 oz. of the revised BLL tumble lube.

Online hobbiest sites are amazing. I learned how to build AK's and FAL's, rejet my motorcycle carbs and change tires, make knives and sheaths and totally trick out crosman air pistols with match barrels and reworked valving. Who needs college anymore?

Super Moderator

Cosmic Charlie, it's a good thing that your mold is throwing a tad oversized rather than undersized! Sizing to .358 will be no problem, and when you size you are getting a more consistent boolit. A tip: When you are using a Lee 6 cavity mold it's important to keep your hands off of the sprue plate handle. Pawing on it "can" result in oversize boolits.

congrats , now we need pics and Welcome to the silver stream club

Boolit Master

I'm guessing you were successful because you spent plenty of time reading, something many don't do. Short of a custom mold as mentioned, you'll need to size and as the addiction deepens you'll need more sizers so save yourself money and space and buy the NOE sizers which are much more accurate than Lee. I own many Lee products and like them but their sizers aren't great.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Welcome to casting. I learned reloading and casting on my own in 50-60's. Internet would have been helpful but you really learn by doing. Good job, keep doing.....
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator