Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt -- When is it too cold?

Boolit Buddy

RCBS Pro Melt -- When is it too cold?

Its been below freezing for about a week. Anyone know at what outside temp that would prevent casting. Logically there should be point that heat loss is too near heat gained by heater to keep alloy up to temp. Also since it is bottom pour there is probably some temp where the spout will not remain open to pour. There is a lot of tough experience on this site and if anyone should know this would be the place. The reason for question is I do not want to go to trouble of moving everything outside if it is too close to temperature limit to insure ability to case.

Super Moderator

I cast outside at temps way below freezing with my Promelt with no issues. There is probably a temp limit, but you'll never see it living in Alabama. Antarctica maybe? I just layer up, and keep my molds heated on a hot plate.

I'm in upstate NY. Have cast in my unheated garage in 10 degree Temps with no problems. Use hot plate to heat moulds. Don't have to worry about mould overheating. Or me. Best time to cast IMHO.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

No issues here in Arkansas either. It will melt lead when the temps are colder than I want to cast in.

In Remembrance

In my younger days of a few years back I used to cast in the winter out in my pole barn. Now that I`m older and have medical problems I delay any casting or smelting until there is nothing white on the ground.Robert

Boolit Master
    I use mine in the barn all the time when it is cold.
    The other day it was 16 and just doing some break in casting for a new mold.

The pot felt good.
    I did have to run a tad higher temp to keep the spout from freezing.

Boolit Master

my physical limitations determine how cold I cast in

pot does great if I can stand the cold
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Not a fan of casting in winter, my molds become more temperamental and have had the spout freeze up on my lee4-20 several times indoors if I don’t use it and drop in a prewarmed ingot.

Still get lots of bullets but not nearly as many as I should have for the effort expended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

ADMIN

You can cast in whatever temp you want to cast in.
    That pot has no electronic controls (well modern electronic controls)

Now if you are using a PID controller then you need to really stick to above freezing ambient temp.
    My supplier said the device I use will operate below freezing. He tested it in his freezer (LOL)
    The problem is the thermocouple may not read correctly the closer you get to zero F
    But it will not mater cause after you power up the pot it will get above freezing real quick

Boolit Buddy
    Cast wth mine this last week. It was 7 degrees part of the time. Worked fine. /Chris

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam casting in March.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	212405

If any doubt use a thermometer in your pot.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master
    My Pro-Melt hasn't been used in temps much colder than 25* F. I did have crank up the temp rheostat a bit, and aluminum mould blocks in colder weather are a PITA due to how fast they shed heat. Heat is nearly always your ally in this game, so most of my casting gets done in milder weather.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, looks like I am the limiting factor in casting in cold weather! It finally got above freezing and wind has settled a little, casting no problem. Did have to raise temp on hot plate to fill out a 6mm long 120 gr bullet. Raised hot plate temp and filled right out. I just hate being cold! Thanks again!

Boolit Grand Master

Just a few weeks ago I was casting in -15 F temps. I was worried it would cause problems, but I seemed to do as well as I do when it's 70.

Here in Colorado we get some cold weather but have not had any trouble. It was 4 below the other night! Cast on, keep you feet warm.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona