RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Northerner needs to learn how to make Sausage Gravy

Boolit Bub
    yep dem mufins gotta go, buttermilk catheads only. yalls er learnin.

Boolit Master
    the one thing nobody has said....

when you have the grease and the flour browned and you are ready to add the milk...

ADD IT SLOWLY! ....TOO FAST AND IT 'S GLOB CITY!....STIR WHILST ADDING SLOWLY!

Boolit Master
    I may have been born a Yankee, but I'm a son of the South at heart!

Someone here mentioned the sausage you start with making a difference. Oh heck yes!

I use half breakfast sausage and half hot sausage, though if it's really hot stuff, you can go two breakfast to one hot. I have used store bought sausage. I get much better results with sausage raised on my parents farm.

The other one is milk. Skim, 1%, 2%, you are wasting your time. Whole milk only, and if you can get "real" milk, aka, raw milk from the farm, like when I visit my parents, so much the better.

Then for the biscuits, that is the secret, good biscuits. Master that skill first, then proceed with the gravy.

Remember, as Grandma said, the meal will only be as good as the ingredients you start with.

Good luck and happy cooking!

for a nice twist and to add some richness.....you can cut the roux with beef stock instead of milk, or try a 50/50 ratio of each if you don't like it too 'beefy'. Sacrilege I know......but sure is good. And for me personally....if it doesn't have sage, it's just not right.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When I was in Italy the Alpini Regt. cooks used panchetta, stretched the fat with olive oil, then seasoned with sea salt, garlic, oregano and red pepper, then made the roux with whole milk and served over polenta.

Molto bene!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Biscuits and gravy. Yum! Once, we were at the lake for the weekend, Aunt and Uncle, Grandma, Mom and Dad and all us boys. It was getting towards lunch and we were talking about what to fix. My cousin comes into camp with a stringer of fish and a rattlesnake. Grandma said nothing, went over to the Coleman and fired it up. Another cousin started on some scratch biscuits. In no time we had southern fried rattler (fried in the bacon grease from breakfast) biscuits and gravy. Snake skin became a hat band, more fish were caught for supper. Why is it food tastes better when the breeze is blowing through oak trees?
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Moderator Emeritus

Try grilling the oven cooked biscuits first and then slather with that unhealthy, but good, gravy and enjoy.....just remember what a prominent heart doctor told a friend of mine, who was in the cath lab,.....in the future, if it tastes good spit it out! Not going to happen here but one time per week is ok in my book!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    +1 on the pepper, but it should be fresh ground, for certain. My method: Sausage of your favorite seasoning in the desired quantity skillet browned on both sides and done. Remove sausage and stir in enough flour over drippings to make a lumpy/pasty/dry mass, usually 1-2 heaping tablespoons in a 10" skillet. Add a 1/4 cup of milk and stir it smooth over low heat (working out the lumps) until it begins to congeal. Add another splash and do it again and again until it remains creamy, working out the lumps each time. The hotter you want it, the more milk you'll need to keep it creamy (essentially, you're making a white sauce). Since the gravy is full of flour and so are biscuits, I like my gravy on home fries or hash browns and I'll have the biscuits with butter and peach preserves.

And a little humor for dessert: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liberal-logic-101-545_ConservativeBreakfast.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	212205
    Last edited by yeahbub; 01-19-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Momma and her momma were both New Orleans born, my mamma moved to El Paso at a young age, but she learned from her momma.

I make rouix for a lot of different things.

If I am making scalloped potatoes from scratch I like a light "biscuit" color, a bit darker for mac and cheese, and of course you need some good yellow cheddar cheese in there which changes it some.

For Fricassee Momma used a medium brown to a light milk chocolate color. Depended on what was going in it.

I was taught Gumbo should be dark chocolate, but I have been backsliding. Seems to sit better with me if I quit at a light milk chocolate color.

Most of my gravy's I stay pretty light, but beef I will add more color.

Can't go wrong with Bacon Fat, I never throw any away.

But for many things a nice light canola oil works well and is better for you.

But hey, everyone has to die from something.
    Rather go from butter and bacon fat than sheer cussedness.

Boolit Master
    When my mother made it(how I learned), she poured off and saved 2-3 tablespoons of the grease. After the gravy was done and in the bowl she mixed in the saved grease. Barely get enough grease to make the gravy now.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned fresh ground black pepper is key, for me it needs a pepper bite!

Boolit Master
    One of the keys is to use no more flour than necessary. Almost any amount of four & fat will make a roux, but the trick is how much proportions, and for how long to simmer?
    If you use too much flour, it will thicken immediately, and too little flour it will need more heat/time to thicken. The more flour you use, the more milk it needs to get the right thickness.
    If you have too much flour for your amount of fat, you will need too much milk, and that leads to a plain taste.
    A good gravy has the proportions of flour/milk such that it takes about 5 minutes of low heat for it to get thick.

Boolit Master

3Tbl flour, 3Tbl fat, will make 2 cups of thinish gravy with your chosen liquid. I use 50/50 milk and chicken stock. The advice to season adequately is essential.If it’s not thick enough, a little more cooking will thicken

Banned
    I think the sausage was the key factor. It wasn't spiced very well at the store. Yes, I browned my flour, added salt and pepper a lot of pepper. I also had some sausage bits in there for taste and look.

Banned
    mix some coffee in it for red eye gravy

Boolit Master

now where did that Cat Head Biscuit recipe go?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...biscuit-recipe

Typically when making a roux you use equal parts flour and fat. Stir the flour into the fat and stir until it is the desired color you want. Then add the liquid that you want to thicken (for sausage gravy I like whole milk or even half and half) stir until thicken and then cut the heat back a bit but keep cooking it. If it is not cooked long enough it will not taste right because the flour didn't completely cook and you get that raw flour taste. Add the crumbled sausage, bring it back to bubbling and serve over good scratch made biscuits. Eggs on the side are typical but not required if you've made the biscuits and gravy properly.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Banned
    This thread is already in the toilet. Sausage gravy and biscuits is not that hard

Banned

mines pretty easy. First you have to start with good sausage. Not crappy store bought and not sausage made with venison that's to dry. I fry one lb of sausage stir in 1/4 cup flour then slowly add milk till it gets to the thickness I want. Nothing fancy. Biggest trick to the whole deal is what sausage your starting out with. That's where the flavor comes from. Sausage also needs a bit of fat for flavor. If all you have is a leaner venison mixed sauage add bacon grease but I make my sausage out of just pork but and theres no need for added fat. I make it in 5lb batches and freeze small glad containers so I have it on hand all the time. One of my favorite uses for it is my supper made for a king. I take venison steak that's been run through the cuber and chicken fry it. then I slice potatos and onion and fry them in real butter. Then when everything is don't I poor sausage gravy over the whole thing. One of my favorite suppers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    mines pretty easy. First you have to start with good sausage. Not crappy store bought and not sausage made with venison that's to dry. I fry one lb of sausage stir in 1/4 cup flour then slowly add milk till it gets to the thickness I want. Nothing fancy. Biggest trick to the whole deal is what sausage your starting out with. That's where the flavor comes from. Sausage also needs a bit of fat for flavor. If all you have is a leaner venison mixed sauage add bacon grease but I make my sausage out of just pork but and theres no need for added fat. I make it in 5lb batches and freeze small glad containers so I have it on hand all the time. One of my favorite uses for it is my supper made for a king. I take venison steak that's been run through the cuber and chicken fry it. then I slice potatos and onion and fry them in real butter. Then when everything is don't I poor sausage gravy over the whole thing. One of my favorite suppers.
    Got to be my store bought sausage that is the problem maker. I'm good at making gravy. Lloyd, your making me hungry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast