MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best mid-highend 1911 for single stack?

Boolit Buddy

Best mid-highend 1911 for single stack?

I'm looking to buy a new or use 1911 for single stack. Funds are not unlimited so I would like to keep the price tag under 2k. A friend suggested the Colt special combat but I have a couple of Colt 1911s and I'm not all that sold on them. If someone that owns a special combat would like to chime in that would be awesome. Also if you have other suggestions that would be great too. Thanks!

Boolit Master

I was shooting a friends Les bear a few weeks ago nice pistol but in my Ruger 1911 shot just as good in my hands
    just saying https://ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6708.html
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    You've just opened up a can of worms and the result will be 1000 posts on everything from someones Springfield arms to their prized Ruger 1911.

My suggestion. Close the thread. Go to your nearest high end gun shop and look at the high dollar guns in person. Most of the time a shop will have a high end gun that has searved as a method of auditioning the gun in terms of feel and accuracy. Plain english.... shoot the guns in question and judge by feel, accuracy and additional bells and whistles.

^ What he said, and yes, I'm the guy with the 500$ Springfield Armory who will be back shortly if you don't do what he said.

Boolit Master

I would look at rock river arms. They are back in the 1911 game. Years ago they made good guns.

Dan Wesson A2.
    Last edited by readr1; 01-19-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My problem is I don’t have access to any of these guns. I have a friend with a Sti DVC classic but it’s out of my price range. The closest place that would possibly have higher end 1911s is 2 hours away. Right now I’m stuck in the house and couldn’t stand being in a car that long. I just had my ACL reconstructed and Meniscus Repaired. I figured you guys wouldn’t lead me astray.

Boolit Master

Forgot about STI they have other models that are cheaper. I would look at those models too.

Boolit Buddy
    How about a Springfield TRP any opinions?

Boolit Buddy
    Les Baer

I know how well my Springfield Range Officer shoots. The TRP is basically a Range Officer setup for combat. I wouldn't worry about the TRP being a problem.

Banned

also, consider if series 70 or 80 will be a criteria for ya. it would be for me - always a 70 and never an 80. fwiw, a LEO friend is also seeking a good, high quality, solid 1911 and his research and testing lead him to wilson combat.

Boolit Grand Master

What is the extra money going to get you and what do you need/want? NRA Bullseye, Competition race gun, carry or something else. With 1911's you can spend a lot for very little gain. Well worth the money if you need it but not so much if you are using a Ferrari to take the kids to school in a 30 mph zone.

At one time the Les Baer National Match 1911's were the best value on the market but the prices have gone more inline with the rest of the line.

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Bang for buck on fit, the Springfield Trophy Match and TRP offer a lot. The Range Officer line started as the same fit level without the finish and a few bells and whistles deleted, though lately, they're adding some pretty slick offerings with that stamp.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

New? Dan Wesson or maybe a TRP

Used? Les Baer (Brown, Wilson, Guncrafter, Nighthawk if you're lucky)

Budget : SA Range Officer

Boolit Master
    I am not a gun snob--I just love fine guns.

I have owned just about every sub-1500 dollar 1911 on the market. Some of them were fine. Others were OK. Many were *** not worthy of John Browning's toilet leavings.

I can say--without a shadow of a doubt.........Les Baer makes the finest 1911 on the planet. They have a feel all their own, a look all of their own, and most importantly--They Shoot! They shoot like no other!

Some complain of poorly polished machine marks on the inside of the frame and slide. My heavyweight monolith has three very small examples of polishing "tracks". In my opinion, they are proof that a skilled craftsman carefully went over every inch of that gun to make sure it had a world class fit and function that is not matched by any of the semi-custom gun makers. I would go as far as saying that Les Baer guns are "full custom". There is nothing about any production line gun that holds a candle to these guns. Did I mention they shoot?!!!

This is the only 1911 I have ever owned or shot that I can truly say if I miss it is my fault and not the guns fault. There are deals to be had on the used market. I have seen nearly new in box Les Baers in the 1800 dollar range. However, if you have 2000 dollars to spend, I would save up 300 dollars more by picking up pop cans on the side of the road. I would sell a few pints of plazma. I would get two of the 8 chainsaws I have in my garage that don't run--running and lay down 2300 dollars on a Les Baer with target adjustable sights and be done with searching for a good 1911. You will have one. (Also, if you are really lucky, you will find that your slide turns a beautiful plum color in a year or two--Sexy!!)

.....or, if you are wanting a single stack 45 that holds 7 rounds (6+1), goes bang every time, and shoots like a screaming banshee, there is always the Glock 36!!!!!! Ahhhh.....I can almost see the rotten tomatoes wizzing at my face.
    Last edited by birch; 01-20-2018 at 02:03 AM.

Boolit Man
    Les Baer TRS or UTC

Boolit Master
    I have two Colt special combat gubmint pistols. They are a decent pistol, but better can be had in the same price range. Accuracy is on par with my Les Baer pistols, but behind my Sam’s custom wad gun.

They’ll do fine for single stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    All my 1911’s are Colt’s. A wiser 1911 man than I once said to buy a basic foundation and build it the way you want it. Take your time, have each modification done by the expert for that modification. If you already have 1911’s you can part with your building the perfect piece while it’s at the ‘smith. If you buy a finished 1911, that’s what you end up with. The Colt’s Series 70’s are a good foundation gun. The Springfield Mil-Spec is probably a better foundation to start with. No production gun will be of custom quality. Any production gun will come to you as is. You can chose each feature to your taste and when you’re done your 1911 won’t be one of those gone to far models.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast