Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting casting 148 gr WC and 158 SWC for possible self defense use.

I want to say that the reloads wouldn't matter to a jury. But look what happened in San Francisco with the illegal immigrant that shot that girl. However, you could easily say that your ammo, is no more deadly than factory SD ammo. You would probably need a ballistics expert to testify. And hope the jury is smart enough to see through it, tough call. Anyways, what is a good load amount for 2400 powder. I ordered some of those HP 158 SWC off that site. Used for the Buffalo Bore loads. But was curious about what a good load of 2400 would be. If not maybe, ill buy some power pistol. If I go +P I want the mildest +P possible. Found this off another forum, for 155 gr bullet. "I've got the 4th Edition Lyman Cast in my hand and see one load listed for 38sp and 2400.
    Lyman #358156 Starts at 7.5gr (760fps) and max is 8.3gr (867fps). It does list it as a +P at 8.8gr for 953fps and surprisingly the pressure is not bad." If I use that I am going to start @ 7.5 look for over pressure.

5.0 gr of Unique may be the way to go. After, reading through the castboolits forum.

On this website http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...l&type=Handgun it has -----"158gr LSWC 7.5 gr 2400 990 fps 1.42" Fed 100 Alliant
    Suggested starting load: 6.8 gr
    Pressure: 15,500 ." So now I am a little confused. Different barrel lengths? I guess.
    Last edited by ell198679; 01-22-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ell198679 View Post
    5.0 gr of Unique may be the way to go.
    5.4 grains of Unique is the way to go. Better yet, 7.0 grains of HS-6.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I went with 5 grains of Unique for this bullet in a lightweight snub. Snappy, but controllable. I could have kept bumping the load up, but I value controllability and accuracy more than a little extra oomph.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    And well you shouldn't be. The middle bullet and the right bullet both came out of a 2.5" snubbie. The middle bullet at 840fps, and the right bullet at 945fps. Both bullets consist of the same soft lead alloy. Hard to improve upon the FBI Load.

Don
    Gotta love that penta point. It consistently expands at 800 fps with 9 BHN lead for me. I usually shoot it in my Lipsey 44 special and have a MP mold coming in for a 140 gr penta point hi-tek (no loob grooves just a crimp groove) boolit for my 38 specials.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

"5.4 grains of Unique is the way to go. Better yet, 7.0 grains of HS-6.

Don"

I have some HS-6 Still bought a pound of Unique I doubt it will be a waste of money. Unique is a very useful powder. One thing I did read up on was the flash coming out the muzzle. Ruining your night vision. However, it tends to be a dull orange. With the brightest part being centered directly in front of the muzzle. . In most of my guns.. If I remember correctly. That probably wouldn't harm night vision anymore than looking at a streetlight, lighter, or a light in the distance. However, HS-6 supposedly, doesn't have much flash. Because its a fast burning powder. Buffalo Bore's rounds have a flash suppressant built into the powder. Now in a .357 magnum load in a snub than yes.. It could be an issue. What do you guys think? Big problem, I doubt it will really matter. If it's pitch black you can't see your sights anyways. With out them being radioactive. And the flash happens in a fraction of a second. Any damage to night vision is probably minimal.
    Last edited by ell198679; 01-23-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    ell198679,

Of all the things I would worry about in a self-defense situation, the amount of flash doesn't even register.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Wrong^^^
    Please elaborate on your answer and edify us as to why it is wrong. Where did you come up with the conclusion/ how did you determine that the statement is wrong? Links/resources would be helpfull.

Just saying wrong does none of us any good or give us any reason to believe what you are saying is true.

Forrest r did a very good job responding to the OP's question with information, the testing he did supporting his statement and some pictures

Banned
    Has some loads for your boolit weights
    158grn for lead boolits; 4.6 grn unique for 38 spcl and 6.4 grn unique for 357 has been a common load for a long time

I'd start at 4.5 grn unique and work your way up to see how it works in your gun before jumping into 5.4grn unique
    4.5 is the max load recommended by Lyman CB 4th addition

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...andgun&Source=
    Has some loads for your boolit weights

Boolit Master
    Please elaborate on your answer and edify us as to why it is wrong. Where did you come up with the conclusion/ how did you determine that the statement is wrong? Links/resources would be helpfull

Even Massad Ayoob never could come up with any cite to prove his comment. Actually Ayoob never really said there was a case of that happening, what he did say was there was a possibility some lawyer would use the home reloads as a charge. But we all know how the internet is all truth don't we. Maybe you can cite a links/resources to show the myth is true. I certainly would be interested in reading it...

It is long but here is what Ayoob said that got the myth started...

"Anti-gun types have attacked our ammo as well as our firearms since long before I came on the scene. It happens in the press, it happens in State Houses, and yes, it also happens in the courts. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, he established malice when he loaded his gun with hollow-nose dum-dum bullets, designed to rend and tear brutal wounds and cause horrible pain and suffering and ensure the agonizing death of his victim!" It happens more routinely than you’d think in armed citizen shooting trials, though rarely in police shooting cases since hollow points became the law enforcement standard.

This argument is, no pun intended, easy to shoot down…if your lawyer knows how. We simply establish that you chose the same type of ammo as the police, for the same reasons. With hollow points, the bullets are less likely to over-penetrate the body of the dangerous felon and strike down unseen innocent bystanders, and also less likely to ricochet and create unintended additional victims. Moreover, since collective experience shows us the improved stopping effect of the HP (hollow point) ammo means the bad guy will have to be shot fewer times to neutralize his violent activity, he is relatively less likely to die of his wounds. However, the argument in favor of hollow point ammo is useless if not effectively presented by the defense. Famed appellate lawyer Lisa Steele has seen defendants convicted with this argument when their trial lawyers failed to neutralize the poison. So have I. This apparently happened in the Arizona case mentioned above, contributing to what I for one believe was a wrongful conviction.

While it’s a slam-dunk to defend your use of hollow point ammo, the use of handloads in a shooting presents much more serious problems to your defense team. Defensive shootings are often very close-range affairs in which gunshot residue (GSR) from your muzzle is deposited on your attacker’s body or clothing. This can become a critical evidentiary factor if the other side insists he was too far away from you to endanger you at the moment he was shot. The distance testing is done with exemplar ammunition, that is, ammo identical to what was in your gun, but not the same exact cartridges. Don’t count on the crime lab testing the remaining rounds from your weapon as taken into evidence at the shooting scene. If the fight was sufficiently intense, there may not be any rounds left in the gun that saved your life. Even if there are remaining cartridges in evidence, they may not be tested. The prosecutor can argue, "Your honor, firing those cartridges consumes them! It’s destructive testing! The defense is asking the Court’s permission to destroy the evidence! You cannot allow it!" Do you think that’s a BS argument? So did I…until I saw a judge accept it, in a case where handloads were used in the death weapon, but the state crime lab tested with a much more powerful factory load, based on the headstamp on the reloaded casings. That gave a false indication of distance involved, and the defendant – whom I have strong reason to believe was innocent – was convicted of manslaughter.

You’d think the court would take the reloader’s records into account and allow testing based on that. It doesn’t happen. No one has yet been able to offer a case where the Court took the reloader’s data or word for what was in the load. It’s seen as self-serving "evidence" that can’t be independently verified. Sort of like a rape suspect saying, "I couldn’t have done it, because it says right here in my own diary that I was somewhere else that day."

After seeing these things in court, I learned to avoid the use of handloads for defensive purposes."
    Last edited by Gohon; 01-25-2018 at 02:22 AM.

I have 15 rounds of defensive factory ammo. Loaded in speed loaders. I would use those first. If things get really crazy. I have my handloads. I would definetly use factory ammo if you can. Then use reloads ,only if absolutely necesary. Here in cali its hard to buy good defensive ammo. After,the online ammo ban. The goal of the courts is to put true liberal, gun right advocates in prison at all costs. Sad but true fact. I think it's rather strange that the reloaders word, or diary cant be used. But a labs test of ammo which may not have even been used can. Seems like reasonable doubt. But dont count on it.
    Last edited by ell198679; 01-28-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Please elaborate on your answer and edify us as to why it is wrong. Where did you come up with the conclusion/ how did you determine that the statement is wrong? Links/resources would be helpfull.

Just saying wrong does none of us any good or give us any reason to believe what you are saying is true.
    There has never, ever been a case in the history of the United States where someone was convicted of a crime involving self-defense and reloaded ammunition. The case relied on ayboob and his drones involved a guy who murdered his girlfriend. The judge would not allow expert testimony based on his reloads. For ayboob to say no judge would allow such expert testimony is a joke. Regardless, a good shoot is a good shoot. The ammunition is irrelevant. We do know for a fact that a judge might allow evidence to be used against you for using a 10mm in self-defense, getting firearms training, and having lots of guns and ammunition. Just refer to the matter involving the late Harold Fish. Yet you never hear anyone say don't carry a 10mm, get firearms training, or have a lot of guns and ammo, because we know for a fact that a judge allowed that evidence. Thank God the trial judge was reversed on appeal. Also, don't murder your girlfriend. If you live in a Pink State, be afraid, be very afraid.

Carry a bodycam evrrywhere you go,when carrying problem solved. They have glasses which can be shades or not with a cam built in. 130 dollars.Now you wont get **** in your eyes either.
    Last edited by ell198679; 01-29-2018 at 01:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12