Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ruger 5" 44 Special half lug GP100

Boolit Bub
    I have the 5" full Lug GP100, but really like the looks of the Half Lug, and the Bisley Flat Top is kind of the best-of-show single action IMO.
    Be strong, and show yourself a man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    Any updates on how the after-market sights are working out on these GP100 44 Specials?
    I ordered two Dawson Precision replacement front sights. They arrived quite quickly. I decided to try the .340" tall, .125 inch wide version first. I used the supplied aluminum punch to drive the old sight out, going from left to right as viewed from the rear. Knocking the old sight out chewed up the tip of the aluminum punch quite a bit. I put the Dawson sight in the dovetail and tapped it most of the way in with a sturdy brass punch, then finished up with the Dawson punch. I centered it on the barrel by eye only, trying to get an equal amount of dovetail cut showing on each side of the sight. I didn't have to file on the sight at all. When I got done I held the finished assembly up to a strong light, and had only a couple of pinpoints of light showing tiny gaps between barrel and sight, all in all, a most satisfactory installation.
    I hauled the Ruger to the local shooting spot, set up a paper plate at 25 yards, and shot my heavy Skeeter load with the rear sight screwed all the way down. Point of impact had changed from 6" high to 4" low. I cranked up the rear sight and soon was soon hitting to point of aim at 25 yards, with lots of travel remaining. I'm happy now.
    I used product number 050-532-00, which is a fiber optic version. In full sunlight, that red dot is bright! I can see how it would be distracting for pure paper punching; I want to see how it performs on game and plinking targets before I make up my mind about it.
    https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cu...-front-sights/
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 09-16-2018 at 11:48 PM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you 376Steyr. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Boolit Buddy
    Now I just need to find one - half lug
    Anyone know if they plan to run more?

Boolit Buddy

Ordered mine back in July just before transferring from Pearl Harbor to WI. In the midst of getting moved into a home so it has not been on my priority list. Got it picked up about 3 weeks ago and recently received my pin gauges to check cylinder throats. All throats measured at .231. My sample is very well put together and I look forward to getting some rounds loaded and heading to the range. The only difficulty I have had is in getting the trigger guard to release. I could not get it done despite being able to depress the locking pin. Will give it another go. Wish the fellow still offered the "Ruger Popper" take down tool. Need to see if I can find a picture to help in making my own. Anyway I recommend you keep an eye on Gunbroker and hope for the best.
    Last edited by AlanF; 10-30-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    AlanF, did you have trouble getting the hammer pivot pin out? The one on mine won't budge. My other 2 GPs, you can push it out with a finger! Gotta make a nylon punch I guess. I need to pull the cyl to pin gage it, cant bring the whole thing to work!
    These things are nice, anyone half interested should grab one up!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy

rking22, I had to use a brass punch and lightly tap it out. Hopefully things will loosen up a little once I have shot it a bit.

My five inch full lug has the same pivot pin problem. I have not yet worked up the nerve to use a brass punch yet. The three in stainless pin comes out with a push from a finger.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Well thanks for the confirmation, guess they tightened the tolerances! That should have been purple font
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Mine pulls out normally. It's a good tight fit, but I don't need a punch to get mine out. Maybe try pulling the trigger a little to take some tension off the hammer?

Boolit Buddy

Ordered a new front sight from Dawson Precision yesterday. Will follow up once installed and tested. I went with the .100 width in order to have more light around the front sight.

Boolit Buddy

My front sight will not budge using the provided sight punch. Got to find a plan B.

Boolit Master
    Bigger hammer? Just kidding there, kdoil for things you want to move... if not you need a sight pusher.

My local gun shop enabler called me today. He had been on the waiting list for a half-lug 5 inch and one is on the way to him now. I should have it on Tuesday.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

I am taking mine to the range tomorrow to try a couple hunting loads. I think you will enjoy the revolver.

Picked up my 5 inch half-lug today. The front sight looked good in the dovetail, but the rear sight was adjusted all the way over to the right. Took it to the range for a quick 20 rounds of the MP 503 HP over 7.5 grains Unique. It shot 6 inches high offhand and a little right of POA. The is travel left for elevation in the rear. I did NOT notice a big bluing blemish on the bottom half of the muzzle while I was in the store. I’ll try cleaning it before saying it is a really bad scratch, but that is my initial impression. Will definitely check the trigger pivot pin to see if I can get it out and do a lot more shooting before making any decision about contacting Ruger.
    Tony

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234