WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: What top punch for 8mm 323336?

Boolit Mold

What top punch for 8mm 323336?

Recently acquired a nifty Lyman “out-of-print” mold #323336 spitzer profile for 8mm Mauser, but what top punch? From what I could find, the matching # was #336 (obvious), but also out-of-print”; what will work now?

Banned
    get a punch close to the profile you need. Clean the cavity with solvent and rough the cavity up with sandpaper. lube /oil the tip of the boolit,
    fill the cavity of the punch with hot melt glue and stick the tip of the boolit in the hot glue. When the glue cools trim the glue to the match the punch shaft. Now you have a perfectly fitting non-marring punch

Boolit Master
    This is a process I recently worked out after repeated, off center - non concentric - sizing with 30caliber bullets.

The sizer/luber works just fine with other calibers, but simply couldn't get positive results on the 30 caliber no matter what I tried.

So, I bought a push through die, .309 in this case, run the fresh cast bullets through the push through die and then at any time later can go back and run the bullets through a larger sizer/luber die for lubing. In my case this is a .311 sizer/luber die.

The push through die provides perfectly concentric bullets while the larger die used in the second step lubes without disturbing the surface hardness of the bullet.

My top punch is a good fit, but just could not get concentric bullets to the point where the lube/crimping groove would be almost gone from one side of the bullet.

While the two step process does add a bit of extra time, it does provide a quality end result.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Make one using a piece tubing(the right diameter to engage the ogive) over a rod. Solder or epoxy the tube to the rod.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Mold
    All good suggestions and I thank you all; I was and am prepared to follow those courses if necessary, just wondering what the original equipment was without resorting to McGeiver’ing the situation; surely Lyman had a top punch for this bullet at some time?

R-U Sure about your numbers?

I've looked in several references for this 323336 you mention. Can't find that mould number...
    I do find this one, 323366 in this reference...
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/L...Reference.html
    This reference suggests top punch number 366.

You have a 182 grain, GC spitzer...right?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold
    Oops! Good catch OS OK, I meant 323366! Does that help?