Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Argentine Rolling Block in .43 Spanish

Boolit Master

Argentine Rolling Block in .43 Spanish

I am looking at picking up an Argentine Rolling Block in .43 Spanish. The bore is very good and while the gun is in good shape, I can get it pretty cheap. I have considered if I get it, maybe customizing it some (I can get it for $500 so the investment isn't bad), with a different set of sights, and maybe some work on the stock. I can't afford a new Uberti copy at the moment, so I can work on this a little at a time, and besides, I like the idea of using an original gun and getting back in action so to speak. I wouldn't be doing a lot of long range shooting past 200-300 yards and it would be for hunting more than targets anyway.
    Just wanted to see if anyone has done any work with the Argentine or other military guns and customized them.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

I've customized many old military rifles, but I haven't done a roller.... yet. I have two actions and plan to put one in 38-55. I do have a complete rifle in 7mm and it is fun to shoot. Hope you have fun with it!

43 Spanish is pretty easy to get shooting with Lee making both dies and a mold. I picked up a 43 Egyptian for less than 1/2 that price with a mint bore but rough wood and exterior. Shoots wonderful with a low pressure smokeless load. I am plinking steel at 200 yards.

I would love the replace the front sight on my .43 since it shoots so high, but I cannot find a replacement sight that is tall enough. I certainly do not want to alter the rifle permanently since it is in the original military configuration.

Buying the gun and dies is the cheap, easy part! Buying the brass is the tough, expensive part! Then getting the correct mold to cast a bullet it likes, or buying the correct bullets.
    I've done a fair number of reworks on various Rolling Block rifles, and used both military and commercial actions in the builds. The Argentine is as good as most, and depending on when it was made, it might be a real Remington action it was built with. Like other countries, Argentina started out with Remington supplying some actions, and then tooled up to build more later.
    If I was considering the purchase, I'd either leave it as is, or tear it completely down and use the action for a full build with new barrel and stocks. Putting much time or money into it will probably result in money spent, and the gun's value decreased. But a full build using the action will increase it's value, if it's done correctly. I've never had any trouble building a complete gun on a military Rolling Block, and not being able to make a little money when sold. But I make sure I rust blue the barrels, fire blue the screws, and have the receivers color cased. So they don't look like old military guns when finished.
    I put this one together about 5-6 years ago. I think I had about $1100 in it when finished, with sights.

Local guy does exactly what Marlinman does. From description, would think they are the same guy! Guy here has a long table full of them. They are beautiful!

Boolit Master

This was a Swede with Treebone stock and a take off barrel. Less than $700 when finished. Never shot it past 125yd but then it was built as a hunting rifle.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 001.jpg   71' Rolling Block 004.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I bought this Danish for $200 from a pawn shop. Was going to strip it down for the action, but the whole gun was much too nice. It had a broken spur on the breech block, so I carved out a new one with a file and hacksaw, and then had a young welder I know tig weld it back on, and I polished it down and checkered it. Ended up giving it to my son in law last Nov. for his birthday.