WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Odd Question - Sling

Boolit Buddy

Odd Question - Sling

So, I'm new to levers. Got Bolts, Smoke Poles, Sharps and ARs all with the correct slings. But, I'll be darned if I know what to put on my Henry Big Boy Steel! I mean, it came with sling studs and all. Never saw a sling on a Lever in John Wayne movies!!! I do intend to use it (45 Colt) for hunting New England white tails in cover and brush.

So, what's an appropriate sling? None?
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Master

Any sling you like. If you are using the rifle to hunt comfort and convenience trumps style every time for me.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

For some reason I think a wide, tooled leather sling looks right at home on a levergun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I have slings on my Marlin 1895, 45-70, .444 and .375 Winchester. They all wear wide leather slings with non-slip rough out leather on the inside to keep the sling from slipping off my shoulder.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I have a fancy Browing Neoprene sling on my win 94 dirty thirty. (Pawn shop find)

Camo, has six pockets that hold .30-30 rounds nice and snug, and does not slip off my shoulder.
    Also does not dig in, bind, or cause pain in my shoulder at all.

To me a lever gun is perfect for walking, reasonably lightweight, reasonably handy. Comes up quick, gets on target quick, gives a nice quick follow up shot. Just right for being out in the boonies IMO.

Here is a link for what I just put on my Henry Big Boy 41 mag. I reeeeaaaalllly like it. A little pricey but looks really nice on the gun and holds some extra rounds so they don't rattle around in your pocket. Great customer service and was shipped when they said it would be.

https://brassstacker.com/Rifle-Sling...ndolier-1.html
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Here is a link for what I just put on my Henry Big Boy 41 mag. I reeeeaaaalllly like it. A little pricey but looks really nice on the gun and holds some extra rounds so they don't rattle around in your pocket. Great customer service and was shipped when they said it would be.

https://brassstacker.com/Rifle-Sling...ndolier-1.html
    I really like that... Need to drop hints to the boss for the next birthday.

I've seen some slings on old lever actions in pictures in books. Winchester an American legend by RL wilson has a few pictures of henry rifles with slings. The other rifles with forearms could be ordered with a forearm cap that had sling swivels attached, for special order. Its been a while since I looked, but Packing Iron by Richard Rattenbury has some pictures of period slings I think. Here is an early 1866 with sling. http://www.icollector.com/Winchester...l-co_i12498921

I think something like this would fit a modern lever gun. https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Hors...orsehair+sling

~Bazoo

IME, the proper use of a sling on rifles with two-piece stocks is near impossible to achieve.

OTOH, a carrying strap comes in handy when both hands are needed for something else, like climbing slopes, dragging deer or carrying other things.

FWIW, my carry strap rides in a coat or haversack pocket until needed, because (while actually hunting) a gun belongs in the hunter's hands, and not on the shoulder - and, the strap can easily become a brush hook

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

IME, the proper use of a sling on rifles with two-piece stocks is near impossible to achieve.

OTOH, a carrying strap comes in handy when both hands are needed for something else, like climbing slopes, dragging deer or carrying other things.

FWIW, my carry strap rides in a coat or haversack pocket until needed, because (while actually hunting) a gun belongs in the hunter's hands, and not on the shoulder - and, the strap can easily become a brush hook

Yeah, what he said. I have a light nylon sling that lives in my pack. If I need to use one (while dragging or such) it only takes a few seconds to install, and I haven't watched a deer run away while unslinging my gun in quite a while.

Boolit Master
    I have cobra padded slings and like allot. Do to a right broken shoulder when a youngster. To keep any sling (put) and not slip down onto my arm. I had my better half sew a button on the very top of my hunting coats shoulder area. When climbing ladders now._ I no longer worry about my slung rifle sliding off my R-shoulder which in the past was very bothersome and often garnered a scratch on my rifles stock. No more of that happening. Button's doing its job.

Boolit Master
    The Montana slings are neat and easy to adjust .leather seems to feel better to me.

Moderator Emeritus

Imho a sling needs perform THREE functions. In no particular order of any being of more importance than another, there is the need to have sling over your shoulder to provide use of two arms/hands while traveling. In our local woods, there seem to always be branches of need to be moved; ice, rocks, fallen trees to be moved over -- where having both arms to enable staying vertical surely makes it worthwhile to have that rifle slung over your shoulder. Second is for off-hand shooting. After a wee bit of practice, it becomes second nature to wrap the sling about your left wrist (assuming you shoot "rightie") as you bring sights up for your intended shot. You do not need superhuman tension to reduce the muzzles moving all over the place -- just a snugness provides incredible support. The THIRD I mention is most cannot carry a truck-load of supplies in woods while hunting. Hence, a flexible, tie-able sling can be employed in survival paradigms in ever so many uses: To tie the tops of several branches together to, tee-pee style, make an emergency shelter; to strap branches to a possible or (I hope not) deifinite broken limb from a fall; or... you get the idea.
    This all sums together to indicate *my* recommendation is for a nylon sling, as made by Allen Corp., which is very inexpensive, will not rot or mildew, and meets all the requisites I mentioned. Bion, I have a gorgeous leather sling with engravings (including my initials) and shell holders, which I deem as pretty useless in the hunting wood. Re carrying extra shells -- and, I'm a 100% lever action hunter -- I only load FIVE rounds in my rifle's magazine tubes, and put another five in a slip-on buttstock shell holder. You may very well do better -- as they say, some like brunettes while others like blondes -- but I gave my 2 cents. BEST WISHES! Henry is a nice rifle -- I have three of 'em . FYI, MidwayUSA purveys the ammo holder, with a URL of https://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...-carrier-black. The sling I use on my Henry, albeit presently out of stock at MidwayUSA, may be viewed at https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...ra-nylon-black

geo

Call me silly but I use the M1907 type sling on everything I have ....from my .22 to my service rifle......

But on a lever gun? Dark brown leather, tooled up fancy, silver inlays.....

I have found that anything that will work on a bolt, mz, pump, etc. will work just fine on a levergun. On my vintage, untouched leverguns I use a sling( or carrying strap if you will) that doesn’t require drilling to attach hardware. Otherwise, I drill the stock and either attach the front to the mag. tube or forend barrelband.

Boolit Master
    I have a sling on each of my lever (and other) rifles for carrying in and out of the woods. This year I got a very valuable lesson from the sling on the 44 Mag. Marlin I took out that day. I was sitting on a hillside when a doe slipped into the woods in front of me, about 50 yards out. I was well out of her line of sight, covered by light brush and small limbs that I could see to shoot between. The rifle was on my lap. The sling was mounted to the rifle via quick detachable loops. I raised the rifle to get a sight picture on the doe. As I raised the rifle the slings / loops made a very faint "click - click" sound, so slight I could barely hear it. SHE heard it and froze at the sound, staring straight toward me. Not sure that she ever really saw me, but the sound was enough to put her on alert. I froze. The doe immediately turned and ran back the direction she had come in from, got about 70-80 yards away and started blowing until she was out of hearing range. From that day forward my new tactic is to use the sling to get in and out of the woods, but it comes off the rifle once I am settled on my hunting spot. The above event has happened to me only one time, but that was one too many.

Boolit Grand Master

Sling swivels can be made quieter by wrapping them with tape, electrical tape works well for me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I have had some of the slings made out of synthetic rubber/polymer actually squeak due to the material in very cold condition, below 5 degrees F. I use a nylon strap with a section of antislip material sewn to it. I usually use a medium red as I have leaned a rifle safely against a tree when fooling with packs on packhorses, then spending 1/2 hour looking for it. Vaseline in/on the sling attachmants, and tape or string to keep things quiet.