Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News from Army about new rifle

News from Army about new rifle

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    So it'll kill em 10 times deader??? I guess I need to learn govemntspeek..
    Interesting anyway, gotta go read up some.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    and what happens in the rain and snow? what happens when there is mud?

i've read about caseless ammo and its a non starter.
    http://faragedesignworks.com/caseles...firing-system/

Boolit Grand Master
    Very interesting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Again looking for the magic one bullet does it all thing? Good luck with that.

Boolit Master
    Any rifle would be better than the Mattel 16, in my opinion. I had the M14 before I was issued the Mattel 16 in July 1965. No nation ever kept the direct gas impingement system like the US has. It is long past time for a better rifle. If direct gas impingement was the wave of the future, the AK47 would be so endowed rather than being piston driven.

Sometimes US Ordnance takes its own slow time, eh, wot?

Adam

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    and what happens in the rain and snow? what happens when there is mud?

i've read about caseless ammo and its a non starter.
    http://faragedesignworks.com/caseles...firing-system/
    Telescoping plastic (synthetic case), not caseless.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2014/...62mm-lsat.html
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Deliver ten times the lethality?

If the early 5.56 round shot a 55 grain bullet, multiplying that by ten would be 550 grains.

Is the new military rifle going to be a .50-100 Sharps? SIGN ME UP!!!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Deliver ten times the lethality?

If the early 5.56 round shot a 55 grain bullet, multiplying that by ten would be 550 grains.

Is the new military rifle going to be a .50-100 Sharps? SIGN ME UP!!!
    Killing efficiency is not only dependent on bullet weight. But of course their hype is BS. I ponder how they measure it
    Don Verna

I believe "hyperbole" is the polite euphemism for "bull excrement"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Killing efficiency is not only dependent on bullet weight. But of course their hype is BS. I ponder how they measure it
    I think it's typically sold in garden centers by the cubic foot.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Or in the words of Col Potter,"Horse Hockey".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post

The photo of the ammo in the article looks like a plastic cased 300 BO ?? no ???
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Based on the article, I would assume they're measuring bullet energy at 1000 or 1200 yards to quote a 10 times lethality number.

In Remembrance

Seems as though the primary weapon system used by early cavemen up thru American indians of the West was changed very little and proved lethal on mastadons up thru settlers moving West, the bow and flint tipped arrow.Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    I believe "hyperbole" is the polite euphemism for "bull excrement"
    yep, it is bs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post

and i still question what happens when it is wet? or snow? or mud? temperature? fails to detonate? jams? i could go on.

So this is a plastic cased 6.5/223? That's what the cases look like.

I can see a cost benefit to the ammo. No brass equals less $ and the Govt. always goes with less $, and since they don't reload why use brass at all?

Lighter weight is always good.

No mention of MV or BC? how are we supposed to figure if their numbers are real or BS.

I personally don't see the need for a new caliber, why not make the new ammo in 5.56MM?

When you have a weapon,,, considered by most to be the best infantry arm in the world,,, with 70 years of development behind it, one has to ask,,,, How is this system better? and how long will it take to develop it to the level of the M4?

The Military loves to spend money and since I recently got access to the DLA solicitations and seen what some of this stuff goes for it blew me away and I am putting together a complaint as to how they spend the money that we the taxpayers give them.

I assure you that 60-70% is simply wasted on BS paperwork and unnecessary certifications done by people who make a $100K per year + and aren't even worth Minimum Wage! They also get 8 weeks a year off!

It just took me 4 months to sell 9 missile ground wires to the DLA that I have been sole source for the last 25 years! And yet I was not qualified to make them!!! 4 months of going back and forth with ignorant women who had no idea what they were purchasing about a simple point on the contract that they eventually had to accept which allowed me to get an inspection and sell the parts.

Complete insanity and I might add that I was only able to contact these people Tues, Wed, or Thurs, between 6:00 AM and 2:30 PM EST if they weren't off on leave or just plain not answering the phone! Average time to get any response from them was 10-14 days!!!

That agency needs to eliminate 50% of their personnel immediately.

Here's one big example of what we are paying for.

This part is a Shackle that gets two tag lines attached to it and then attached to a RAM Missile canister so it doesn't flop around when loading the round.

I just sold 15 of these to the Navy at Port Hueneme for $1300 ea. The DLA charges the ships $28,992.84 for each one! In other words they have no idea what they are selling, it is just a number on a spread sheet, and that is the problem.

Buying a complete new Weapons System for the infantry is a complete waste of money and Textron is just trying to take advantage of Trumps Impending Military Build Up. Now if they wanted to revamp the ammo I can see an immediate benefit as long as they can get it to work right.

The majority of money that is spent in our country goes to Defense Contractors, I got no problem with that as long as the money is spent wisely. This road is pure BS.

Here's a pic of the shackle, and I might add that these are the most beautiful ones of these ever made. The rest were poor quality castings of which I have finish machined many. These were made from 3" 316SS Round stock, and are 5" long! $29 Grand?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Looks like an aluminum collar for the primer to seat in. Doesn't look like the collar goes very far into the case.

I believe it was Polycase that offered hybrid metal and plastic cased ammo in rifle calibers.(like .223) It did not work out too well and had many failures causing damage. That was with semi auto rifles, not machine guns with a high rate of fire.

With a belt fed machine gun I don't see how you are going to avoid problems with melted cases and chamber buildup. The barrel (and chamber) gets really hot under sustained fire. The military trains the operator to use a certain firing schedule but that is not always followed, especially when you are being shot at. Even if they designed rifle it to fire from an open bolt the round is going to end up in the chamber one way or another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast