RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Noob powder coat question

Boolit Buddy

Noob powder coat question

First, let it be known that I'm a lazy person...as a result, I think of every way I can to make any process I do as simple and efficient as possible . This has served me well in my job where I find ways to do things faster and easier.

For those who powder coat, have any of you found a method of PC that does NOT require you to stand every single bullet up on its base on a tray before baking? Is there any method where the bullets can simply be dumped into a wire basket and baked, regardless of orientation?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    First, let it be known that I'm a lazy person...as a result, I think of every way I can to make any process I do as simple and efficient as possible . This has served me well in my job where I find ways to do things faster and easier.

For those who powder coat, have any of you found a method of PC that does NOT require you to stand every single bullet up on its base on a tray before baking? Is there any method where the bullets can simply be dumped into a wire basket and baked, regardless of orientation?
    Of course there is an easier way then handling them for PC. Use HiTek, i cast about 1000 in an evening and then coat them at 1000 at a time. The process is shaking in a tub for 30 seconds and then bake to 380°F for 10 min. Size after 1st coat then Repeat coating 2 more times and start loading...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Take the time and do a search, Lots of people have found other ways that work.

I know nothing about HiTek but it looks like it take 3 coats where PC takes one.

I take my powder coating just as serious as any other part of casting and reloading so the results I get are what it really comes down to not that it takes me a few minutes extra to stand my bullets up on the bases. Once I put my first batch in the oven I have 20 min. to coat another batch and get them out on a tray which basically takes me about ten minutes if I'm in a hurry, but I've never found my self standing there when the timer goes off still standing bullets up on the tray an I usually do around 100 at a time as my oven is small.

I'm in the same boat as you at work, I found ways to do things faster to get jobs done on time. Management has no idea what I do or how I do it they just pinch pennies and crunch numbers because that what it's all about to them. When I off work and doing thing around the house I like to save time as well, but I also like to get good results that I'm satisfied with and if it takes me the extra ten or fifteen minutes to stand my bullets up I can do that because the only one I have to please is myself. It's my hobby and some things I just don't like to rush.
    Last edited by res45; 01-18-2018 at 10:44 AM.

There's a big difference between people who want to save time, labor & money by 'evaluating & streamlining' their process without cutting corners or quality...and then there is the other crowd who are just plain lazy and claim to 'want' to save time when it's really a case of someone who doesn't apply themselves and put a minimum effort into the simple process of PC'ing casts.
    Doing a simple search will reveal many varying methods that will produce 'Poor-Good-Better-Best' results...all of which are totally dependent on labor input, time & the quality of tools and material.
    We have chewed this rag many times & for the latter enthusiast...I have no more time...not accusing you of being the latter.

This 'Poll' is as comprehensive as I could make it regarding 'methods & results'...it's a good place to start, then determine the method you want to pursue...take a look.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lt-lt-lt-lt-lt
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I tumble with ASBBs in the tub

pour contents through colander which has the bottom holes opened up so BBs and powder can flow through

gently pour reminding bullets onto a wire tray I made out of a pizza rack. Some with bigger ovens can use the racks you can find in the stores

I heat the bullets till they reach 400°F and then hold that temp (PID) for 10 minutes

when I take them out I'll put them on wooden tray with cork on bottom and roll them back and forth to prevent them sticking together

when cool I use a Lee sizer in press to size them
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Vendor Sponsor

Yes. Seperate bullets from powder and bbs with a colander and pour bullets into a wire basket and cook.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Take the time and do a search, Lots of people have found other ways that work.

I know nothing about HiTek but it looks like it take 3 coats where PC takes one.
    I get great results with two coats of HT. You have to bake twice but they can just be dumped in mass on a tray or basket.
    I am now using the empty cartridge box jig for getting my PC bullets upright. It is faster than standing them one at a time & I get more bullets in my wire baskets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

"empty cartridge box jig for getting my PC bullets upright" Can you elaborate on this jig?

Boolit Buddy
    Tumble, dump powder through screen, dump screened boolits on parchment paper. I ball up the paper then reflatten it to stop boolits rolling. Tap the bottom of the pan to eliminate stacking. Horizontal touching is ok and leaves no hard marriages. HF red is adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    "empty cartridge box jig for getting my PC bullets upright" Can you elaborate on this jig?
    Not my idea & you can search it here, but get 2-3 empty plastic ammo trays. I melted the edges together to form one tray (glue wouldn't cut it). Pull the bullets out w/ forceps or big tweezers & drop them in nose first. When full, put empty basket over the top & flip. 100-150 perfectly standing bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Not my idea & you can search it here, but get 2-3 empty plastic ammo trays. I melted the edges together to form one tray (glue wouldn't cut it). Pull the bullets out w/ forceps or big tweezers & drop them in nose first. When full, put empty basket over the top & flip. 100-150 perfectly standing bullets.
    I just use nitrile gloves to put them into the trays. I am not too concerned with some of the noses not getting full coverage, although with the gloves I usually still do. My only interest is to insure that the shank portion or any area that comes into contact with the bore is coated.

I tried the "dump them in the basket and cook" approach but, ended up with bare spots where the wire from the basket touched the boolit.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I've just started PC coating my bullets and I find that I prefer to do two coats of PC for both rifle and pistol bullets as I feel I can guarantee complete coverage that way. With both types of bullets I size and gas-check after the first coat and for my gas-checked bullets I then tumble again and coat for the second time to ensure that the gaschecks are firmly secured to the bullet with the PC.

My question to others, Am I overdoing it with the PC for the second coat with the gas-checked bullets?
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I would say yes your overdoing it with a second coat. A GC will stay on a reg lubed bullet and what little the PC may or may not glue the GC on I feel is not worth the extra work.
    If you really think it helps I see no problem installing the GC then PC them.
    My ? is do you have a problem with your GCs staying on now or before starting to PC them.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I just use nitrile gloves to put them into the trays. I am not too concerned with some of the noses not getting full coverage, although with the gloves I usually still do. My only interest is to insure that the shank portion or any area that comes into contact with the bore is coated.

I tried the "dump them in the basket and cook" approach but, ended up with bare spots where the wire from the basket touched the boolit.
    Use the gloves but put them into the plastic ammo trays, then invert. You will be faster & get more bullets in the tray.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I've just started PC coating my bullets and I find that I prefer to do two coats of PC for both rifle and pistol bullets as I feel I can guarantee complete coverage that way. With both types of bullets I size and gas-check after the first coat and for my gas-checked bullets I then tumble again and coat for the second time to ensure that the gaschecks are firmly secured to the bullet with the PC.

My question to others, Am I overdoing it with the PC for the second coat with the gas-checked bullets?
    I have never seen the need for two coats of PC, even for rifle to 2000fps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I would say yes your overdoing it with a second coat. A GC will stay on a reg lubed bullet and what little the PC may or may not glue the GC on I feel is not worth the extra work.
    If you really think it helps I see no problem installing the GC then PC them.
    My ? is do you have a problem with your GCs staying on now or before starting to PC them.
    I normally don't have a problem with losing gas checks. just being extra cautious.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I have never seen the need for two coats of PC, even for rifle to 2000fps.
    I'm hoping to shoot these around 23-2400fps so maybe I'm just being over-cautious as I've had to scrub out a leaded rifle barrel before and I don't want to have to repeat that again.