RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: L&R replacement rock lock for T/C Hawken info wanted

Boolit Master

Exclamation L&R replacement rock lock for T/C Hawken info wanted

I'm thinking of putting together a T/C Hawken with a Green Mountain flint lock barrel and a L&R replacement lock. Anyone have any info on the L&R replacement lock.? TOTW has a good price on them. I have a complete Hawken stock with all furniture and need the barrel and lock, but I want info before I pull the trigger. This will be just a fun plinking gun. Thanks!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

In Remembrance

The L&R lock is a good one. If you are planning on using the original T?C stock, don't expect a "drop-in" fit. You will need to do some wood removal and spend some time inletting the lock properly. My only complaint with L&R is sometimes you get one with a real wimpy frizzen spring. I have done several T/C and Lyman GPRs with new L&R locks. The result is worth the effort.

Boolit Master
    Curator,
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

I've used 2 L&R replacement locks. 1 for a CVA Mountain rifle and the other for a Pedersoli frontier flintlock rifle. Excellent locks.
    Like Curator said, you may have to do some minor inletting.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master
    I have a L+R lock I put in a left handed Dragoon build last year and it has a real hard trigger pull, apparently the sear needs a lot of pressure to release the tumbler. Beside that it's a quality lock that throws a strong consistent spark and is a pleasure to look at. I'm planning to move the trigger back just a bit to get better leverage on the sear arm.
    If I could find a left handed barrel and stock I would move the lock over to it in a New York minute.
    I'm also thinking about swapping out the lock on my Investa Arms with a L+R if I ever get a little extra play money together.

Boolit Master
    Was thinking at one time to replace a percussion lock some years back on one of my T/C Renagades with a L&R for fun & giggles. Living close to TOTW business place I have the opportunity to chitchat with those entertaining all knowledgeable business fellows occasionally. After such conversation with the counter help I was assured it isn't all that hard to fit such lock (If) one goes slow and takes their time in doing. The only disappointment is the required mortising. {wood removal.} T/C and many other Manufactures process's apparently leave so little spare material to mortise. Given some second thought did I need to do? No. But if a time comes to keep the rifle shooting. I will certainly give such project a try. If the L&R lock is still available. As there lies the growing problem with T/Cs. Parts discontinuances.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/LOCK-LR-03-C

I bought an L and R RPL lock to replace the old Russ Hamm lock in an early 1960's custom long rifle, I had TOW send the lock to a chap in Minnesota who tuned it and polished the inside. I must say its been a good reliable sparker. I think these locks are quite good. I had to do a little adjustment to the lock mortise and it went in fine.

cheers

Heelerau
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Boolit Master
    The L & R rpl locks are very high quality. Years ago I built a .32 hawken pattern using a T/C stock,Green Mountain barrel,& rpl lock.
    The lock plate fit well with only minor fitting. Most of the fitting you have to do is to the mortice area where the mainspring presses on the stock
    L & R includes very simple and easy to follow instructions. I've also installed one of there Dixie replacement locks Its plate was a drop in fit but
    again I needed to remove wood for the mainspring. The mainsprings are a little wide at the bottom of the V. Another nice feature of rpl locks is they have a shorter hammer throw than the original lock. L & R also sells direct and has great customer service they can walk you through any issues you might have. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all. It looks like I'll be using L&R locks in the near future.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    You won't be disappointed. Good lock er uh luck.