Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible double charge??

Boolit Master
    +1 for what 35remington said: "For me, safest way after dumping charge is to immediately seat the bullet."

Double charges are the bane of the reloader. I have had only one overcharge, which was a 38 Special round, loaded with a Dillon Square D, which I had just purchased. I promptly sold the Dillon and went back to single stage reloading, with a visual check on each charged case before the bullet is seated.

The handgun was a good pre-war Colt Officer's Model. Thankfully no harm was done to the revolver.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

youd not see any damage to a ruger single aciton until you were way way past 65,000psi.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    youd not see any damage to a ruger single aciton until you were way way past 65,000psi.
    This is a medium frame, not the larger standard Blackhawk size.

But I hope you are correct!!

Amazing that you didn't notice a massive increase in recoil. I would think going from 14k to over 60k psi would have resulted in an immense difference in recoil...

Wonder if maybe you short stroked it and gave it maybe an extra half charge? I could see that happening on a Dillon 550 when if you wanted to make sure the round in the next station got a good crimp. It's possible since it's a manually indexing press. Maybe, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    A bulged chamber won't be on the ends where you can measure it with dial calipers. It will be further up in the chamber, probably somewhere around where the webbing of the case tapers to parallel. If it is bulged the case from a standard charged load will be difficult to extract.
    Take care,
    Rick
    Well, I went out & shot a known standard pressure round in the suspect chamber. I couldn't eject the case with the extractor rod. What now? Send it to Ruger for a new cylinder?

The way that works for me when load powder in my cases is that after I prime the cases ,I turn them upside down and then when I put the powder in they will be turn up side.and do not take the case till you will dump the powder in. As for the OP ask check first with a gunsmith and see what they say first.Then go from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Yes, $90 for a new cylinder and $50 to fit it. I had a Super Blackhawk cylinder replaced, they did it under warranty but that was the price if I had to pay for it.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Beats the HECK out of serious hospital bills, at least!

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Yes, $90 for a new cylinder and $50 to fit it. I had a Super Blackhawk cylinder replaced, they did it under warranty but that was the price if I had to pay for it.
    Thanks for the info. Dang shipping is what hurts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Beats the HECK out of serious hospital bills, at least!
    Agreed!!

Boolit Master
    For me, safest way after dumping charge is to immediately seat the bullet. Progressive presses are another whole can of worms and one must work out foolproof procedures that work for you and stick to them.
    What 35Remington said. Some years ago, I was distracted, missed a case and it led to some embarrassment at a falling plate match. The competitors were a helpful bunch and it all worked out, but it could just as easily have gone the other way. Charge a case, seat a boolit. It's the only method I know of which has some built-in fool-proofery. I pick a prepped case out of a pile in a bowl or tub, charge it, seat the boolit and put it in a loading tray, going from visually unorganized to ordered rows. It's disturbing to have that feeling of "Did I or didn't I . . . ?" Not sure how to adapt that to progressives other than to keep a sharp eye on the proceedings.

The New Vaqueros in .45 Colt have scary thin chamber walls when I look at them. Obviously, Ruger uses good materials, but I want to find an Old Vaquero in that caliber for the added margin of safety.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 01-22-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    What 35Remington said. Some years ago, I was distracted, missed a case and it led to some embarrassment at a falling plate match. The competitors were a helpful bunch and it all worked out, but it could just as easily have gone the other way. Charge a case, seat a boolit. It's the only method I know of which has some built-in fool-proofery. I pick a prepped case out of a pile in a bowl or tub, charge it, seat the boolit and put it in a loading tray, going from visually unorganized to ordered rows. It's disturbing to have that feeling of "Did I or didn't I . . . ?" Not sure how to adapt that to progressives other than to keep a sharp eye on the proceedings.

The New Vaqueros in .45 Colt have scary thin chamber walls when I look at them. Obviously, Ruger uses good materials, but I want to find an Old Vaquero in that caliber for the added margin of safety.
    Obviously not to thin. I bought one when they first came out. Called ruger and asked still ruger only loads? Was told they will handle them but you would beat the gun apart and stretch the frame. I'm sure ruger thought this out with all the load data out there.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad ur ok.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    With progressive loaders you just have to always leave the loader in the same exact state any time you stop loading, and if you don't have OCD then channel someone who has it, while loading

Boolit Master
    Check with your local buddy/friend/pal that has an FFL (or just your local mom and pop gun shop!), and see if they will send the revolver in for you. If I remember right, they can ship via USPS at a substantially lower rate than you can ship it via FedEx or UPS. They may do it as a favor for a good customer, or charge just a small handling fee, making the overall cost still less than if you ship it yourself.
    You might also call Ruger customer service, and ask if they can help someway with shipping it in for the cylinder replacement. They may be able to steer you to a lower cost alternative, also.
    Good luck!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post

On progressive presses like the 1050, 650 Dillons, I use(d) a Powder Check to monitor powder drops. I believe a progressive so equipped is the safest way to reload. On rifle reloads, I do as 35 Rem does and most rifle loads I use cannot be double charged anyway.

More than 99.5% of my reloads are made on progressive presses. But I am primarily a pistol caliber and shotgun shooter. In over 40 years have never had a double charge.
    Don Verna

Well, I called Ruger yesterday afternoon. They helped out on the shipping, so hopefully it won't take too long to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBore45 View Post
    Glad ur ok.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast