WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible double charge??

Titegroup also has a little known tendency to clump up if you do not always return unused powder back to the bottle when you finish a loading session. In powder measures, that normally starts giving erratic-low weights. But then a clump can get stuck in the drop tube, and release with a later drop, and you have an overcharge by 30-60%. I've seen clumps so tough they could not be broken up easily with end of a pencil. If you don't return TG to the bottle as a matter of habit, you may want to start doing so.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Quote Originally Posted by garrisonjoe View Post
    Titegroup also has a little known tendency to clump up if you do not always return unused powder back to the bottle when you finish a loading session. In powder measures, that normally starts giving erratic-low weights. But then a clump can get stuck in the drop tube, and release with a later drop, and you have an overcharge by 30-60%. I've seen clumps so tough they could not be broken up easily with end of a pencil. If you don't return TG to the bottle as a matter of habit, you may want to start doing so.

good luck, garrisonjoe
    Thanks for the info. I usually only load 50 to 100 rounds at a time & always dump the powder back in the container when I'm done. Good to know though.

Boolit Bub
    I would look for a material testing company that specializes in steel testing. Magna fluxing, dye penetrate test and or X-ray if feasible.
    Many moons ago, I had a neighbor "help me" with some way over board Red Dot or Bullseye loads. When I shot them in my Super Black Hawk, I had to remove the cylinder to get the brass out.
    Shot ok for about 2 years. I was shooting 20 grains of 2400 with 240 JHP and the cylinder came apart. Luckily no one was injured. On the remaining pieces of the cylinder you could clearly see from the carbon where the cylinder was fractured. Testing or cylinder replacement to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

Boolit Buddy
    bee reloading since I was 18 (am 71 now), never had a accidental powder overload till about 2 years ago. loaded 5 or so grains of 231 in a 45 colt (don't recall exact load) with no problems, then I had a squib load. At the time I didn't give it too much thought, a few shot on BOOM and the Ruger cylinder came apart. back to the bench and started weighing the loads in the rest of the box; found a light load and then a double charge. Starting searching for the cause and found that a beatle (like a lady bug) had wouked it way up into the discharge tube of the powder dispencer. Aparantly it allowed a normal charge to pass and then would block a charge, upon the next brass it allowed the double charge. I now check the discharge tube before every loading session.
    BD

I had a similar experience with 38spl a couple months ago. I believe a double charge of 3.8 grains = 7.6gr was dropped, when my 550 Dillon wouldn't reliably pick-up a primer causing me to stop and backup the operation. Like you, I was loading Titegroup except with a 158 grain SW. The recoil felt about like a full power .357 and the case came out in two pieces, but didn't damage my 2.5" 686-2.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ScotMc View Post
    I would look for a material testing company that specializes in steel testing. Magna fluxing, dye penetrate test and or X-ray if feasible.
    Many moons ago, I had a neighbor "help me" with some way over board Red Dot or Bullseye loads. When I shot them in my Super Black Hawk, I had to remove the cylinder to get the brass out.
    Shot ok for about 2 years. I was shooting 20 grains of 2400 with 240 JHP and the cylinder came apart. Luckily no one was injured. On the remaining pieces of the cylinder you could clearly see from the carbon where the cylinder was fractured. Testing or cylinder replacement to be sure. Better safe than sorry.
    Good example and reason to get a new cylinder.
    A whole lot cheaper than a new eyeball or finger!

My finding with the charge then seat method is one of two things can happen. First, something distracts you as you are about to throw the lever and you skip the stroke or something distracts you just as you stroke the lever and you repeat the stroke. The double charge was not an issue since the powder over flowed but the empty case left a bullet in the chamber that I didn't know about.

I will never powder and seat again. Now, even when loading a single round for testing, I will put it in the tray and shine a light into it and look. I also only use powders that can be visually checked for level, ie bulky powders. That empty case could have resulted in a double bullet firing!

That's just me after a mishap or two.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    I reload a lot of 38 special and the system that works best for me is to stand 50 cases up in a divider from a 45 acp box. I hold the divider in my hand and fill each case while counting my lever throws. If I get to the end with out landing on 50 I know something is wrong. I then measure one more charge in the scale to verify it is still accurate, and visually check all cases. Lastly seat the bullets. For me it is easier to concentrate intently on one motion than to concentrate on a multi-step process.

Banned

I did a double charge with aa2 in my 45 colt montado. Same thing as you. I was shooting it and one shot was defineately an eye opener. I had to pound the brass out and after an inspection I kept shooting. First cylinder with light loads had me pounding out the case in that same chamber. took it home and found I had bulged the cylinder. Ruger was real good about it and had me send it in and they fit a new cylinder.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Now, even when loading a single round for testing, I will put it in the tray and shine a light into it and look.
    +1. I keep one of those Harbor Freight free flashlights on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I did a double charge with aa2 in my 45 colt montado. Same thing as you. I was shooting it and one shot was defineately an eye opener. I had to pound the brass out and after an inspection I kept shooting. First cylinder with light loads had me pounding out the case in that same chamber. took it home and found I had bulged the cylinder. Ruger was real good about it and had me send it in and they fit a new cylinder.
    Thanks for the info. My New Vaquero just arrived at Ruger two days ago. Just waiting to hear from them. Hopefully my experience with them will mirror yours.

I ruined a Bisley in 45 colt with 45 magnum level blue dot loads. While the cylinder and frame were plenty strong, the 45 caliber barrel just ahead of the frame wasn't. This was an early model, I think they make them with thicker barrels now. I could see a frosting of the bluing ahead of the frame that let me know the barrel had swelled. I never had any extraction issues at the pressure level I was operating at.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123