Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: nose diameter issue for 30-30

Boolit Buddy

nose diameter issue for 30-30

hello;

need input. all 3 of my 30-30 rifles, micro grove, will not chamber a cast bullet with a nose diameter larger than .300". is the lee 150 grain flat nose and a 170 grain flat nose bullet molds the answer to my problem. any idea on nose diameter of these bullets? thanks for any input.

thx

r

Boolit Master
    Which molds do you currently have?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    After thinking about it a sec too, can you give some details around when the rifling engages the bullet? Ie...is the rifling engaging the very nose tip at .300 diameter and is it deep or preventing it from chambering further? Lee molds are typically bore riders meaning the forward nose ahead of the driving band is likely .300 diameter though I don't have the drawing in front of me. Those two bullets we're designed with the 30/30 in mind and I'd be surprised if a Marlin (microgroove) wouldn't chamber them at all....though I don't know from personal experience

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

What molds is the OP talking about? Who is the maker?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    two molds, one 180fn rcbs and one 180 grain lee. the body of bullet is sized to .311", as cast the nose diameter is .302". oal is 2.55". the problem is bullet nose diameter, simply unable to close the actions, rifling "marks" are @3/8" on bullet. if nose is at .300" then able to close rifle actions. many post are on the lee .309 150/170 grain bullets used in 30-30 rifles. if I buy another mold just want to make sure it will function in my marlins.

thx for input.

r

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rp85 View Post
    hello;

need input. all 3 of my 30-30 rifles, micro grove, will not chamber a cast bullet with a nose diameter larger than .300". is the lee 150 grain flat nose and a 170 grain flat nose bullet molds the answer to my problem. any idea on nose diameter of these bullets? thanks for any input.

thx

r
    I have the Lee C309-170-F double cavity mould, 170 grain , flat point. When cast of a 50-50 mix of COWW and scrap lead and air cooled the boolit nose measures a consistent .299...I measured 10, every one was right on at .299.
    So it appears bullets from this mould would fit . All of mine have been sized and lubed with a .309 die so I'm not sure how big they are unsized.
    If I remember correctly Marlins might need a larger size to fit the micro groove rifling.
    I have a Winchester model 94 so .299 and .309 work just fine. Some other members have Marlins and have done considerable work getting them to shoot.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    In talking to Mr Lee himself, many years ago, he said he makes the "bore-riders" smaller than .300 because he gets more flak from those who stick the bullet in the chamber/throat and extract only the case dumping powder in the action, than from guys like me who want a bore-rider to very lightly engage the rifling. I'd say rp85's mould is not the run of Lee's thirty caliber moulds. At least all of my Lee .30s are under .300 on the bore ride.
    NMLRA Guy