RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Twist for Henry Big Boy .44

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    But by going 1 in 20, it won't hurt the performance of that factory ammo, and will open up a niche market for factory heavy boolits. Its a win-win. And it won't cost any more to produce. I don't see the issue.

What is the twist rate of a common .44 mag revolver?
    SBH 44 is 1:20

BH, Vaquero, 45 Colt 1:16
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    SBH 44 is 1:20

BH, Vaquero, 45 Colt 1:16
    That's about what I thought. If the factory ammo performs in a handgun, then it will do as well or better in a rifle. There is absolutely no reasonable excuse not to get rid of the 1 in 38 altogether. At least I can't think of one. Other then Elmer might roll in his grave.

When I barreled my 1873 Uberti lever gun to .45 Colt in 1982 I specified that I wanted a Douglas barrel with a 1:16 twist. My gunsmith was surprised I wanted a fast twist until I told him that I might be shooting a 300 grain bullet and I want it stabilized at 150 yards. Regardless of the bullet, it eats the center out of 6 inch bulls at 25 yards. Anything slower is not going to as accurate out past 100 yards.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Buddy

Response from Henry

Way bring a dead thread back to life but I noticed all the 44 mag henry rifles are now listed as having a 1:20 twist rate so I emailed them to verify this is their response;

Thank you for your interest in Henry rifles.

Henry Big Boys chambered for .44 Magnum can use any reputable, good-quality brands of factory standard or +P loads of .44 Magnum or .44 Special which have standard profile bullets (lead or semi-jacketed round-nose, semi-jacketed or jacketed flat-nose and hollow-point) up to a maximum projectile weight of 260-grains.

The .44 Magnum Big Boy series rifle barrels have recently undergone a change from the old twist rate of 1:38” to a new twist rate of 1:20”. This was to simplify production of .44 Magnum barrels using the same twist rates for both the Big Boy series and the Single Shot series; however, there is no functional difference in the use or operation of our .44 Mag Big Boy lever-action rifles, or the loads they can use, no matter which twist rate the gun has. .44 Magnum rounds with larger bullets than 260-grains do not cycle reliably through the Big Boy action, regardless of the twist rate, so for the lever-action BB rifles, we are staying with the above load recommendations.

The changeover in the .44 Magnum rifles' twist rates was a running production change for which we have no specific date or serial # reference. It was done gradually as barrel stockpiles were used up. Unfortunately, there is no way to identify which guns have which twist rate without measuring the individual barrel, using the simple procedure outlined in the following YouTube video from MidwayUSA:

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Flailguy View Post
    SNIP...

all the 44 mag henry rifles are now listed as having a 1:20 twist rate
    Thanks for posting, I'll have to keep my eye out for a new one at the LGS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I bought a new Henry BB Steel in 45 Colt because it had 1-16 twist. Jedman

Boolit Master

What is the twist rate of the .41s? Anyone know that will share?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    What is the twist rate of the .41s? Anyone know that will share?
    1:18"

Boolit Master
    What?? A manufacturer that listens?

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    41 mag twist.... Depends on if you want to shoot 340 grainers at a slow velocity out to 100 yards or a 300 grainer at 1500 fps out to 100 yards or so.
    1-16 twist will do it all plus some. 1-18 works very well until you try doing things a might unique using Unique.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

And yes Henry has a long history of being attentive to received correspondence.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Hey fellers,

I don't mean this in a confrontational way. I am genuinely curious.

How much will a faster twist rate effect accuracy on a pistol caliber carbine? Rifles that are meant for 100 yards or so.

I have a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt that shoots a 250 gr bullets at 1150 fps into a 3" group at 100 yards. With the factory buckhorn sights.

Is a faster twist rate going to make that much difference?

(Accurate 45-250P/ 8.8 gr Unique/ 100 yards. This group is typical)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200911_102750_resized.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	271642

Steve in N CA

Moderator Emeritus

How much will a faster twist rate effect accuracy on a pistol caliber carbine?
    I can't really answer "how much", but I will say it'll make attaining better accuracy easier, with heavy boolits.

I can't count the number of posts where people can't get a 1:38 twist Marlin to shoot heavy boolits accurately, Now I will admit, 99% of those complaints usually include no details of what they did or also rarely mentioning what level of accuracy (or lack of accuracy) they had.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12