Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Twist for Henry Big Boy .44

New Twist for Henry Big Boy .44

I was browsing the Henry site and noticed the new color case hardened Big Boy levers.

The 16.5" bbl. still has the 1/38 twist in .44 mag., but the 20" carbine version has a 1/16".

This was only in the color case models as the the regular brass Big Boys and the round steel bbl. Big Boys still listed both bbl. lengths in 1/38".

I think a color cased 20" .44 mag. in 1/16" twist may have just made my wish list!
    I hadn't noticed this posted on anywhere, so just passing on the info to those who may be interested in the 1/16.

Henry may have just sold a rifle. That is about exactly what I have been wanting.

I may wait a few months and see how the reviews stack up.

Moderator Emeritus

I've always loved the 44, going all the way back to the 80s.
    44 is the reason why I started reloading.
    44 is the reason I started swaging bullets.
    Swaging bullets caused me to start casting cores, and then casting bullets, so indirectly 44 is why I started casting.
    About the time I started casting, I fell in love with the 41...a few years after that, I decided to part ways with the 44 because of the barrel groove size variances and twist rates in rifles. So, I sold all my 44 guns at a auction in 2015...and have slowly sold all my 44 ammo/brass/bullets/swaging gear.

and NOW you are telling me someone is finally are coming out with a levergun in 44 with a smart twist rate

I wonder if the barrel groove dia is .429 or .431 ???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Don't know about the groove dia. I just hope it wasn't a misprint on the twist rate on their web site since the 16 1/2" version still showed the 1/38 twist.

Since it was listed under their new case hardened model though, i'm hoping the 16" twist is legit on the 20" bbl.
    Maybe they're just testing the waters with the one bbl. length for starters?

If i think about it tommorrow, i'm going to give them a call.
    JonB..lol, you can't go wrong with that 41, but if this is true, it may be a good time to get it a big brother??

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Henry may have just sold a rifle. That is about exactly what I have been wanting.

I may wait a few months and see how the reviews stack up.
    GhostHawk....me too!!

Boolit Buddy

The new single shot Henry in 44 has a fast twist barrel. So I called and asked if the 44 lever guns had it. The answer “not yet, but be patient”.

Boolit Master

If true they sold another one!

Okay,

Just got off the phone with Henry Arms. I was first told by the lady that answered that the case hardened Big Boys are brand new. She first said both bbl. lengths were 1/38, but on 2nd look she verified that the 20" version WAS 1/16 twist!

I asked if it could be a misprint and she told me their "media" guy was on top of things and she felt it was legit as printed on their web site.
    She said she did not think it was a misprint.
    Also said they should be on the market very soon!

I asked if someone else there could verify this and was just told "she thought their "media person" had it right.
    That's all i know for now.....i hope, hope, hope it's true!!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I wonder if the barrel groove dia is .429 or .431 ???

Like that is going to be any kind of a deciding factor... We all know whatever it is, will get fed cast at .432" so what does it matter?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I noticed that the Single shot rifle had a 20" twist and the Big Boy Case Hardened with the 20" barrel is a 16 inch twist curious the two different 44 Mag rifles would have different twist but I could live with either.

Moderator Emeritus

Since I recently sent in a Henry Rifle for warranty repair and have a contact (direct email) at Rice Lake, I decided to sent her an email asking the questions I am curious about.

===============
    I wonder if the barrel groove dia is .429 or .431 ??
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Like that is going to be any kind of a deciding factor... We all know whatever it is, will get fed cast at .432" so what does it matter?
    At this point in time, for me, it would be a deciding factor...I would start by feeding it .430
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Well I just received a disappointing email from Henry.

I had asked, "I see Henry is offering the Big Boy color case hardened in 44 Mag/44 Spl. [On the website, it says] The 20" Rifle version specs the twist is 1:16
    Can you verify that?
    "

Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 11:43 AM
    To: JonB
    Subject: RE: REPAIR

Hi Jon,
    Great! We are pleased to hear you are happy with your Henry!

Also, thank you for your inquiry! The Big Boy color case hardened in 44 Mag/44 Spl. does have a 1:38 twist rate. What you spotted on the web is incorrect and if it is not updated already, it will be very soon. The carbine is also a 1:38 twist.
    Have a great day!

Kind regards,
    Dennette - Customer Service
    Henry Repeating Arms, Co.
    107 West Coleman St. Rice Lake, WI 54868
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Absolutely disappointing for sure. If I get a Henry, I'll probably just go with their 45 with what I consider a better twist rate.
    Thanks for finding out for sure JonB.

Henry you screwed up, just cost you several sales.

Boolit Buddy
    Specs online still listing as 1:16

Hasn't been changed as of 9:13 PM EST

You would think that they would make the correction like " immediately "! Before customers start ordering something they aren't going to get.

Vendor Sponsor

Chiappa is the only levergun with a good twist for cast boolits afaik.. I believe theirs is 1:20.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

A rep from Chiappa just msg me on Facebook, ALL of their 44 caliber leverguns are 1:20" twist, and ALL of their 45 caliber leverguns are 1:16" twist. If you are wanting to shoot heavy boolits at below subsonic velocities, twist like this is the ticket.

Why are all the rifle manufacturers, with the above exception, that produce 44 mag so stubborn about the 1 in 38 twist?
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 02-03-2018 at 04:27 PM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Why are all the rifle manufacturers, with the above exception, that produce 44 mag so stubborn about the 1 in 38 twist?
    It works well with factory ammo offerings, and I know it is hard to believe but reloaders and especially casters are but a small percentage of the buyers.

But by going 1 in 20, it won't hurt the performance of that factory ammo, and will open up a niche market for factory heavy boolits. Its a win-win. And it won't cost any more to produce. I don't see the issue.

What is the twist rate of a common .44 mag revolver?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast