WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Current Production Marlin 1894--45 Colt Opinions

Boolit Master

Current Production Marlin 1894--45 Colt Opinions

I was just at the LGS and found a Marlin 94 Limited Edition in 45 Colt. It is one beautiful gun. However, I don't think I could shoot that baby without fear of scratching it.

So.....I found a normal Marlin 94 in 45 colt with the big ol' fat beavertail. Besides the crossbolt safety, I fell in love. I am just wondering about accuracy and pet loads from actual owners. Please refrain from the typical "Remlin" comments unless they are warranted. I am looking for input from actual owners of the current production Marlin 1894.

How are the throats? Are the chambers oversized? Any comments would be of value.

--by the way, they are only priced about 200 dollars more than a similar Rossi

Boolit Master

I have one of the "new" ones, a cowboy. It does run a bit fat, I'm running .454 and and have had zero feeding issues regardless of bullet. I'm using the NOE 280 grain WFN for my hunting bullet. 50/50 WW/PB, lubed with alox/beeswax, 20 grains of 2400. Consistent 2-2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Deer don't go far when you whack them with this one. I use the Lee 255 grain for plinking, since they are at .452 out of the mould, I powder coat them and do not size. I have had the best success with 6-6.5 grains of Red Dot but everything tried out of the Lyman book has been very good. No leading whatsoever with the PC Lee and not enough to mention with the 280's after fifty rounds. I am not a big fan of the cross bolt safety either. I have seen a replacement available that replaces the safety with a plug cunningly disguised as a bolt. On that same theme, I made my own. Dead easy if you have access to a lathe, I polished mine to a very high luster and fire blued it, since they are "fire blued" they are actually a peacock blue in color. Makes a nice contrast and gets rid of that pesky safety ( I say pesky, because on two occasions the safety had been moved to the on position unbeknownst to me and I couldn't get my shot off ) I usually carry with an empty chamber if I'm walking or rely on half cock if I'm parked somewhere. Go forth and satisfy thy desires, it's a good choice.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reliable post!!! It is appreciated.

I recently let go of my Winchester 92 rifle in 45 colt--one that I said I would never get rid of!!!! Now, I have to figure out what direction I am going. I thought about the Miroku reproduction 73, but I sometimes like to load up some hot ones and am a little afraid of that action.

I am thinking the ballard rifled Marlin is the way to go. Your post helped a bunch.

Boolit Master

I have one of the Miroku 1892 Winchesters as well, great gun but particular as to bullet length. Paco Kelly wrote an article sometime back specifically addressing strength of the 1892's/94's and the 73's with various loads for the respective guns. Pretty helpful, and my personal experiences mirror his observations, but he's leaving the safety of published data if you follow his recommendations. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

I'd probably buy one. I haven't seen many around here but I think they held off on the 94's until they got their issues worked out. Safety doesn't bother me, if it did I'd slip an o-ring on it and forget it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.