RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .32 Muzzle Loader Test

Boolit Master
    Do you know the thickness of your patches you use with your ball? Curious as to whether or not it's a deep groove meant for PRB or a shallow groove meant for conicals and such.

Do you know the diameters of your two conicals?

Boolit Buddy
    I’ll measure the Mexican balls tonight. My patch is 3/4” squares.015

Boolit Master
    With a .311" ball and 0.015" patch it's certainly a deep grooved barrel meant for PRB unless you are using a mallet to seat them.

Boolit Master
    Operation from memory here so... on my 36 Maxi the front ring is groove dia and the bottom 2 are snug fit to the lands. I lube with my fingers to not disturb this feature. Wondering if the lee is all one dia and how you applied lube, my method is kinda messy
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    With a .311" ball and 0.015" patch it's certainly a deep grooved barrel meant for PRB unless you are using a mallet to seat them.
    I’m just using a standard short starter. Not a lot of pressure needed to get it started

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with small bore rifles but on PRB larger calibers the grooves often run about .08-.1". Lyman shows their .50 cal barrels to be .502" lands and .510" groove for conical/sabots or .520" for PRB. If yours is a .32 call PRB barrel I'd assume your groove diameter is likely close to .340", which is a part of why I'm curious about conical diameters.

Ultimately I want a Crockett and have read that with a PRB it's generally not considered by most to be effective for longer shots on things such as coyotes, though a couple of guys have said theirs most certainly were. I figure a conical, much as I do with my .50 cal PRB gun going from effective on medium game with a ball to being effective on large game if I use my 320 grn REALs.

I've also wondered about a .32 conical working on our Hill Country deer that are the size of medium dogs with long legs. Not sure I'd try it though as it seems likey to be at the very limits of what might work (much like a .32-20). Our does often run around 80-100 lbs on the hoof.

Hey, Fastleo, did you get that T/C mold OK? Did you figure out the alignment pins?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    Hey, Fastleo, did you get that T/C mold OK? Did you figure out the alignment pins?
    Yes sir I did. I got pins for it and it casts great making bullets at least as good as I can cast. I posted few pictures of them. Thank you again for giving it to me it means a lot.
    Last edited by Fastleo; 01-23-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    Yes sir I did. I got pins for it and it casts great making bullets at least as good as I can cast. I posted few pictures of them. Thank you again for giving it to me it means a lot.
    Happy to see you put it to good use, best of luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12