RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Field pants and game shears

Boolit Grand Master

Field pants and game shears

Now that deer season is over, I'll have a chance to march through some briars in search of the wascaly wabbit. My field pants that I inherited from
    My father have reached their useful life. I stole them from him about 20 years ago and never let him have them back!

Needless to say, looking for a nice set of field pants that will protect me from the briars and won't get hung up. The ones I had were a nice tan to brown color with a red insulated liner. Looking for similar. May as well look for another game vest as well.

While I'm at it, I'd like to find a solid set of game shears, preferably heavy SS.

Suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master

I had a set of charhart insulated Bibs I used for years. The brown duck / canvas last wears forever. They were warm and comfortable. Had zippers in the legs and were easy to get on and off if need arose. With a coat over them and moving thru brush they were plenty warm here. LOL

In Remembrance
    I don't know if they still make the very same pants, but about 15 years ago I bought 2 pair of carhart insulated pants, with full length zippers on the legs. These are like the bibs, but just the pants and I wear them pretty much every day I work in the winter, and they seem to just be broken in good.
    I have not seen these exact pants for sale in several years though, they have some similar, but with different insulation and seemingly not quite as tough a material.

Check out the Duluth Trading Post,,they sell a fire hose pant that is bullet proof. I out grew mine or maybe they shrank

Boolit Master
    I have had a set of game shears make by Buck knives for about 20 years....first rate and still going strong.
    I just looked, they were made in Korea.

Super Moderator

It's amazing how stuff shrinks from just hanging in the closet. Happens to me all the time...

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Duluth Trading has fire hose briar pants. They have a nylon front from mid thigh down, you just glide through weeds, briars and other prickly things with that nylon front. I wear them for pheasant hunting, and they are great.

Unfortunately, no insulated liner.

Fortunately...on clearance right now.
    The enemy of good is better.

Banned
    Another vote for the Duluth fire hose gear !

Boolit Master

good to know closet shrink isn't limited to my house.

Boolit Master
    Game shears....got two pair, one bought in Germany in 1974, and a pair of Case shears that are a few years younger, both used annually and performing as new. I would recommend looking at a cutlerystore thahandles high quality kitchen cutlery, or find aset of Case 48-8 shears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Filson Tin Cloth pants are tough as nails and water proof.

I have a set of Filson chaps that work great. I use them for hunting upland birds, elk, deer and when riding the ATV. They fold up and go under the back seat of the truck or in a hunting pack. You could probably wear shorts under them in summer and they go over insulated hunting pants in winter and they are water proof too, unless you go wading.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    YES to Filson Tin Cloth (heavy waxed cotton) as well but you'd better have about 6 months to break them in first.

Boolit Master

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...=Poultry+shear

When I was busting brush with your dad, I picked up a pair of Filson brush pants. There better be a heavy frost about or you will be sweating. As I got older (fatter) I moved on to some Carhart field bibs. They were regular duck bibs with side zippers on the lower legs and cordura nylon second layer on the leg fronts with elastic shot shell carrier sen on about the chest pockets.

Had a nice pair of Wurstoff poultry shears until I loaned them to a friend once. Keep a dummy cord on them still tied to you if you should loan them out.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Sadly, some dummies have learned to cut dummy cords. So maybe just require a $3k deposit before loaning them

Boolit Master

I use Carhart pants and a Filson jacket. I have to replace the pants from time to time, but the jacket is about 40 years old and is just getting broken in.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I wear chapps from Dan's Briarproof whenever I'm hunting. Place I hunt is about made of thorns, and as a bonus, the tags already have my name on them.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Moderator Emeritus

Carhart insulated coveralls, mine are blaze orange for deer hunting, and they are 30 years old... outside deer season they ride in my pickup as part of my winter survival gear.

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    Filson Tin Cloth pants are tough as nails and water proof.
    And there ya go!! JW