RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: rimless 357 herrett AR15?

Boolit Grand Master

rimless 357 herrett AR15?

Got to thinking(not good at times!!), why not take an AR15 barrel, send to JES and have it rebored to 35 caliber, then take a 357 Herrett reamer and ream the barrel, or send a bolt with the AR barrel and have Jesse ream the barrel and set headspace. Then you could take 22 nosler brass and open it up to 35 cal, trim and load. You have a 223 rim on the Nosler brass. Use a 6.8spc magazine.

Anyone done this before??

Might have to be one of my next projects!!!

Boolit Master

Not in .357 but have a .30HRT.
    Last edited by DDriller; 01-15-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Boolit Master

The parent case of .357 herret is 30-30.
    But there has been some .223 necked up to .357.
    Search for .357 maximum rimless.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The 6.8 is the 25,30&32 Rem shortened . The head shares the 30-30,32 WS dimensions but is rimless . The 22 Nosler is the 6.8 case with a rebated rim reduced to the shared 223 rim diameter .

There's a 35/38/9mm produced on the 6.8 case . It is basically a 357 HRT rimless .

The advantage of the 6.8 or 22 Nos case for the 35 cal is that it has a shoulder . The 357 mag/max efforts starved to death due to feeding issues and bullet shape issues combined with head space on the case mouth difficulties .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

There are some good .357"/.358" bottle neck wildcats for the ar15. Some areas do not allow bottle neck cases such as the Limited Firearms zone in southern Michigan where I live. For me, a 357AR or 357Maximum-rimless makes sense. They are more picky about bullet shape and COL than some guns, but I've tried over a dozen different bullets out of them including cast and have only found one bullet it really doesn't like (140gr FTX). Made the first one after deer season 2011 but didn't get to take one deer hunting (pistol) until 2013 or rifle 2014. My son still hunts with his, but I've gone to a 44 wildcat. Chrony speed on his 180gr Hornady SSP hunting load out of his 16" barrel is 2140fps and he's taken deer with it out to 142yds.