Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Marlin 1895G: Skinner or XS Sights?

Marlin 1895G: Skinner or XS Sights?

I recently purchased a Marlin 1895G, and as with all of my leverguns I intend to put an aperature sight on it. Seeing as though the new Marlins aren't D&T on the side of the receiver for the Williams and Lyman sights, my choices are somewhat limited to either a Skinner or an XS ghost ring sight. I have a Skinner on my 1894 .44 mag and I really like the sight picture with the rear peep and factory gold bead front. Does anyone have experience with the XS sights? I'm just a bit skeptical about the ghost ring and how precise it will be. Opinions from those with firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Williams makes the FP-336 receiver peepsight for Marlins, that utilizes the two rearmost scope mount prep holes atop the receiver.

https://williamsgunsight.com/wp-cont...-PDF-Small.pdf

Ghost rings are meant for rapid target acquisition, and not for best accuracy - but the differences are minor unless shooting paper targets ILO of animals.

Any receiver sight converts to a ghost ring sight through the simple expedient of removing the aperture & sighting through the aperture holder.

I have XS, Skinner, Williams, Lyman & Redfield receiver sights on various rifles, and the only rear differences except for cosmetics are the way W/E adjustments are made, and the taller front sight that top-mounted receiver sights require to zero the rifle.

Last edited by pietro; 01-15-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

What Peitro said! I have several of the Williams sights and enjoy them. They have more adjustment range than the two brands you mention and are less expensive as a bonus!
    Take care,
    Rick

PS The Willams WGRS sight is the one I prefer and it does use the two rearmost scope mounting holes.

Thanks to you both! Either of you have experience with the WGRS-336? It's considerably cheaper, but looks like it's pretty high-profile too...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yes sir! That is the sight I was talking about. I haven't noticed it being high-profile at all. I usually install mine on a rifle and zero to the load I"ll be shooting. Sometimes the front sight will have to be changed, which I have found to be the case with many aperture sights. I order the front sight height that will put the rear sight in the middle of it's adjustment range.
    Good Luck, and enjoy your new WGRS!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Good choice! I have Williams or Lyman peeps on all my rifles except two and all are more accurate than I am. Put some rounds through my WGRS equipped Henry H001T .22 LR today as a matter of fact.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thanks all, looks like I'll be giving that one a try! I have the Williams FP on both of my 336's, and a Skinner on my 1894. The Skinner is nice, but I think they're a little pricey for what they are.

Boolit Buddy
    Last summer I was lucky enough to get my hands on a brand spankin' new Henry Big Boy steel rifle chambered in .327 Federal magnum.
    I found that the same Williams FP-336 sights designed for the Marlin 336 fit my new Henry without modification to either the gun or the sight.
    Front sight turned out to be the proper height and I couldn't be happier.
    I just got a 336 in .35Rem that I think needs the same sight.

Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post

Thanks to you both!

Either of you have experience with the WGRS-336?

It's considerably cheaper, but looks like it's pretty high-profile too...

I've used the WGRS on several different rifles.

It is a "set-n-forget" sights, having sliding W/E adjustments held by a grub screw - very reliable, but not something I'd want for a variety of loads with different zeroes.

Since it's a top-mount sight like the Skinner/XS, when you order it, also order a replacement front sight that's about .10" taller than your issue front sight blade (measure the old one from it's top to the bottom of it's male dovetail).

If/when you replace the front sight blade, be sure to support the front sight ramp from the hammer blows during drifting sight blade in/out, to prevent shearing off the ramp (screws).

FWIW, when I remove the real barrel open sight for a clean sight picture through the peep, I fill the open sight with a slot filler blank, bought ($7) or fashioned from the male dovetail portion of just about any old longleaf rear open sight.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have the Williams sight on 39Marlin, 10/22 Ruger & 742Rem. I like them and have had them for
    years. I have other rifles with Williams sight on barrel. If I wanted to I could replace the back
    notch sight with the peep- by just replacing blade. The base on these sights is the only difference
    in them. I also think Skinners are over priced for what they are, seems like they are a fad. Not
    bad mouthing them at all. I was unaware that new 95s are not factory drilled for reciever sights.
    A cost saving I presume but the new shooters go for scopes anyway. I have scoped several new
    Marlins and didn't notice.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    Thanks all, looks like I'll be giving that one a try! I have the Williams FP on both of my 336's, and a Skinner on my 1894. The Skinner is nice, but I think they're a little pricey for what they are.

I'm looking forward to seeing this sight in action. I want to see if it has a lower profile than the Skinner on my 1895M.

That is if our weather ever breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by dekeshooter View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing this sight in action. I want to see if it has a lower profile than the Skinner on my 1895M.

That is if our weather ever breaks.
    Hey...how long have you been a member here?

I just thought of something the profile of both sights would have to be the same for higth when
    sighted in. The width is about the same, I believe Skinner longer and heavier than Williams. I
    could be wrong. Once either of these is sighted in there is no difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I just thought of something the profile of both sights would have to be the same for higth when
    sighted in. The width is about the same, I believe Skinner longer and heavier than Williams. I
    could be wrong. Once either of these is sighted in there is no difference at all.
    You are correct. I have a Skinner on my 1894. When the Williams arrives and I get it mounted, I will post some side-by-side pics and measurements so we can compare.

Well the Amazon fairy was kind enough to deliver my new sight this afternoon. I got it mounted on the 1895 and took some pictures and measurements along with my 1894 and Skinner "Reliable" sight. The following measurements are taken with both sights in the lowest position. The 1894 shoots POA at 50 yds using the factory front sight and the elevation all the way down on the rear sight. I have not shot the 1895 yet to know whether I'll be needing a taller front sight or not. Height was measured from the top of the receiver to the top of the hole in the aperture.

Length:
    S: 2.29"
    W: 1.58"

Width:
    S: .50"
    W: .63"

Height:
    S: .42"
    W: .49"

Boolit Master

Glad you got it in and installed. It looks good. If I remember correctly the Williams has a larger adjustment range than either the Skinner or the XS. I've played with all three and the Williams is my choice.
    Hope you enjoy it,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Like the xs sight but have to use a scope as I have a problem seeing the front sight in poor light .