Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing your powder

Boolit Grand Master

I store mine in the original containers and stacked on shelves in my loading room. The room is climate controlled and seldom sees any natural light. The same with primers.

Boolit Master
    I keep mine in old coolers. Maybe I will build some wooden boxes though. It will give an excuse to use the wood working tools.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

An old college size refrigerator can make a good storage cabinent as the doors don't latch tightly and will open to release pressure. they also maintain temps pretty well being insulated. Desicant packs or a simple electric rod can be installed to help control humidity also. Had one set up for welding rods with a 10 watt light bulb burning in it, worked great and rods stayed dry for years.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I store mine in the original containers and stacked on shelves in my loading room. The room is climate controlled and seldom sees any natural light. The same with primers.
    This deserves repeating.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Exactly how I have done mine since 1979-1980 .. never had any powder go bad ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I purchased a tool cabinet from Lowes and covered it with Kao wool blanket, which is boiler insulation left over from 40 years working, then built OSB box over that and inserted heat rod 15 watt inside stays warm and dry, door opens easily and if barn burns down hopefully powder wont
    Have about 49.50# in there. About the same as an old upright freezer large.

Boolit Master

Cool and Dry is the answer.
    Heat and moisture are not friendly to powder and primers....dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    An old college size refrigerator can make a good storage cabinent as the doors don't latch tightly and will open to release pressure. they also maintain temps pretty well being insulated.
    That's how mine is stored, powder on the shelves, primers in the door. Only problem is it's getting crowded in there.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    With well over 100 lbs of powder and over 150k primers, storing them in the house is not a smart option. I have a large outbuilding and half of it is insulated and heated (held to 50* in the winter) where my shop is. Powder and primers are kept on shelves.
    Don Verna

+1 on the dead fridge. Hey, I'm recycling!

Boolit Grand Master

Most refrigerators and freezers made since the 60s have magnetic door seals that don't mechanically latch. They are well insulated to maintain an even temp, and a desiccant can will keep them reasonably dry. Although not the SAMI listed construction, my fire chief agrees that it is possibly/probably even better.
    Although I haven't endured a fire, I feel totally confident in my powder and primer stored in one. I have powder that was stored that way since 62 that is as factory fresh as the day purchased.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Most refrigerators and freezers made since the 60s have magnetic door seals that don't mechanically latch. They are well insulated to maintain an even temp, and a desiccant can will keep them reasonably dry. Although not the SAMI listed construction, my fire chief agrees that it is possibly/probably even better.
    Although I haven't endured a fire, I feel totally confident in my powder and primer stored in one. I have powder that was stored that way since 62 that is as factory fresh as the day purchased.
    How do you keep powder that long? Mine keeps burning up in small quantities at a time ��. The only old powder I have is old guy getting out of reloading or dead guy powder I get.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I had an idea on powder storage; One could put a layer or two of Fire rated gypsum drywall outside the wood, that should slow down any external fire source. What do you guys think?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I had an idea on powder storage; One could put a layer or two of Fire rated gypsum drywall outside the wood, that should slow down any external fire source. What do you guys think?
    I think you probably can't have too much fire-resistant insulation for your powder.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I think you probably can't have too much fire-resistant insulation for your powder.
    Amen to that! Fire is my ONLY concern as far as powder storage.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    That and theft, but the family member who got at mine has passed on. It's hard to reload with stolen items tho, trust me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    If it's stored in a block building w/ a concrete floor and the only combustible material is the bench top which sits 20' away fire is of no concern. Well the rafters are combustible but they're even further away since they're two stories up. Fire is of no concern to me. Everyone will have different requirements.

Boolit Mold
    One more thumbs up on using a dead refrigerator. It's insulated, seals to keep moisture our, has convenient shelves, and the door will just fly open on it's own if it needs to vent.

Watch the Craigslist's "Free" section. People put these out on the street all the time and list them as free for anyone who wants to come by and pick them up.

Boolit Master

I keep all my powder in a heavy styrafoam box with a lid the type that were used to ship frozen products so there is an insulating value to box. And I keep the box in a small storage room built into the garage. The insulted storage room is always cool and dark. I also store my primers there in a separate styrafoam box.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12