Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything PBcastco

Thread: Another new to me style of SOWW

Boolit Bub

Another new to me style of SOWW

Anyone run into soft rubbery SOWW? About 1/4" thick 1 1/4" wide. Finally got hooked up with a good size tire shop last fall for lead. They gave me 160lbs for a case of beer. After sorting 160# I ended up with 92# of good weights. 42.5% loss, That was last fall. Just picked up a half bucket the other day and started sorting. It looks disheartening because I believe the % of scrap will be even more and there are more of the rubber ones in this bucket

Boolit Buddy
    Yes i have gotten the rubbery stuff in what i have picked up. someone once told me what it is made of but i dont remember now. Not much weight in a big strip of it - cant imagine trying to balance a wheel with it. Just toss it - it aint lead. I sort the stick on wheel weights from the clip on since the SOWW is softer than the COWW and has no antimony in it - good for muzzle loader.

Boolit Master
    I have run into that heavy rubbery stuff before. Into the trash it goes.

Boolit Grand Master

I've found a few of those and yeah, they go in the trash. I also find some composite weights, a plastic looking thing.

Boolit Master
    The last time I sold scrap iron I left the rubbery SOWW and the plastic weights in the fe weights and clips, the scrap yard checked them with there magnet and bought all of it.

Boolit Master

Somewhere on this forum, someone said that those rubbery weights are composed of powdered zinc and a rubber type binder. Trash 'em.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    Somewhere on this forum, someone said that those rubbery weights are composed of powdered zinc and a rubber type binder. Trash 'em.
    2nd that! Don't try to melt that trash down, it sticks to the pot sides something terrible.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington