RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Wood Walk Question

Boolit Master

Wood Walk Question

I'm heading out for a week of camping at Alifia Rendezvous and plan to get some BP shooting in. They have a wood walk which allows either a pistol or rifle. Any preferences for the shoot? I'm going to be using a CVA .50 caliber sidelock for the 25,50,100 yd paper shoot competition and think using my Traditions .50 caliber Kentucky pistol would be a blast for the wood walk. The pistol was a tack driver at the range three weeks ago at 25 yds. It's my first try at a wood walk and I don't expect a lot except to have fun and don't know what distances I'll be shooting at. Thanks

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If they are anything like our woods walk, expect targets up to around 100 yards. Govern yourself accordingly. Take along both, get a look at the range before you go shoot if possible. That would answer your question.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

All in what you want to do, and which will give you the most pleasure. Me, I'd use the CVA for everything on the theory that it's more accurate at longer ranges, but the pistol can be gotten into action more rapidly-- so, your call!

Boolit Master
    I'll find out about the distances when I check in at the range office for the paper shoot. I'm thinking the rifle will do better out past 50 yds. I've got a entire week, maybe try the rifle one day and come back the next with the pistol.

I've only been on a couple of woods walks but can tell you some of the targets can be, well, exceedingly difficult. I use my .45 and my .40 and did quite well.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    Just got back from the rendezvous and skipped the wood walk. It was blowing about 15-20mph and it took two days to fill the 25,50,100 yd shoot. Ended up shooting pistol at 25 and 50 yds instead of doing the wood walk. I learned not to wear a loose sleeved shirt while shooting a pistol when the wind was blowing, man I couldn't hit the 50 yd target, my arm was getting blown all over. Still had a blast.