Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 66 which is better?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    The 586 and 686 were only made with locks?
    My 586 doesn't have a lock. It's a mid 80's production.

The locks started in 1998. The 586 came out in 1981.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-16-2018 at 01:53 AM.

I have the model 69 with the lawyer lock. I just choose to ignore it and have had exactly ZERO issues with it. If it does bother you, there is a company that's making plugs to replace the locks. Don't recall their name though. Since the model 66 has been around for quite awhile, I would probably look around for an older used one, just because. But, if you prefer brand new guns, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the one you looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    I have the model 69 with the lawyer lock. I just choose to ignore it and have had exactly ZERO issues with it. If it does bother you, there is a company that's making plugs to replace the locks. Don't recall their name though. Since the model 66 has been around for quite awhile, I would probably look around for an older used one, just because. But, if you prefer brand new guns, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the one you looked at.
    The new 66 has been updated to make the forcing cone, and lockup tighter. The previous models faced forcing cone damage from constant full power mag loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    The new 66 has been updated to make the forcing cone, and lockup tighter. The previous models faced forcing cone damage from constant full power mag loads.
    I'm aware of the forcing cone/flame cutting issues that the K-frame .357's gained a reputation for. A quick inspection of a used gun, especially a stainless one, will tell if it has seen extensive magnum use. I'd still take an older used 66 in good condition over a new one. The originals just have more class

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I am not concerned about getting a "classic" gun. I have no use for safe queens as they will not stay that way for long. I buy guns to shoot, use, and enjoy.
    If a gun is in pristine condition, great. If it is an older gun with well worn bluing from being carried, maybe even a little rust in the bluing, as long as the working parts function as they should and the gun is accurate, I am happy.
    I'll probably put a few more scratches and dings into it before I am done.
    My guns are my companions and they get used. You walk through the woods with a handgun in an open holster on your hip and sooner or later it will get scratched up.
    For me, they are not an investment. They are a good tool to have and use. I hope I get to wear out every gun I own before I die.
    I have a lot of shooting to do.

Banned
    Taz, I too hope to wear out my guns before I die but I'm not progressing well in that endeavor.

I don't have any S&W's with the internal lock [AKA Hillary Hole, Lawyer Lock] but I don't think that would be a deal breaker for me. Frankly, I rarely buy new guns.

The 66 is a fine .357 mag capable K-frame but I see the K-frames as 38 Special guns. You commented that you've had forcing cone problems with a old model 19, so you know the issue first hand. If I intended to shoot a lot of .357 mag loads, I would be looking for a L-frame, N-frame or a Ruger GP-100.
    If you just want a K-frame that can chamber .357 mags occasionally, the model 66 will fill that need.

There is no more useful all-around handgun than a 4" DA revolver chambered in 38 Special, IMHO.
    My only problem with a used .357 K-frame is you have little idea how many magnum rounds have been fired in the gun. I'm always a bit nervous about buying used .357 K-frames (models 13, 19, 65, 66) because I don't know their history with magnum loads. I have no such concerns about the K-frames chambered in 38 Special and simply examine those carefully and make my decision on what I can actually observe.

Some people claim the forcing cone issues with the magnum K-frames are exaggerated. I disagree. The magnum K-frames are not fragile or weak but the K-frame is just not a good platform for long term use of magnum loads. The problem with a used magnum K-frame is you never know just how used it is.

I agree. I wasn't thinking in terms of a lot of magnum usage. I have a 686 for that.
    I was thinking of 38 special(lots) with the option of magnum if needed.
    I really like the K frame revolvers and don't currently own a stainless one. I have a couple of blued ones in 38 special.
    My 686 is a 8 3/8" barrel and doesn't carry well for most uses. That was why I was looking at a 66.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I agree. I wasn't thinking in terms of a lot of magnum usage. I have a 686 for that.
    I was thinking of 38 special(lots) with the option of magnum if needed.
    I really like the K frame revolvers and don't currently own a stainless one. I have a couple of blued ones in 38 special.
    My 686 is a 8 3/8" barrel and doesn't carry well for most uses. That was why I was looking at a 66.
    For what you describe a model 66 would be great, but like P&P stated I would be somewhat leery of a well used one. Plus current prices of used magnums are almost that of a new one.

As for GP I have two, a 38 spl fixed sight 4 inch police trade in that I love. It is only 36 ounces, and a great carry piece, and eats up 38-44 loads which what most of my loads are. Even in the 6 inch GP with full lug chambered for 357 I shoot 38-44. The problem I have with the standard GP, and the 686 is the extra weight from the full lug, and in the GP case the heavy rib on the barrel. It puts that weight all in front of the cylinder which makes it feel like twice as much(fulcrum) when shooting. If Smith ever comes out with a six inch 66 again I am getting one, If Ruger comes out with a 6 inch Match Champion I will probably get one.

If you handload and do not intend to use the gun for hunting, I would suggest a police trade in K frame in 38 spl. They will handle occasional 38-44 occasionally, 38-44 is 10K less than 357 magnum, and the performance is about perfect for a carry gun. My GP, and model 64 are loaded with +P+ handloads for carry. A Bayou 138 grain full wadcutter pushed by longshot powder traveling at 1200 fps, and the cases show much less pressure signs than 357. They drop free, and do not flatten the primer completely, I would guess they are between 20K, and 25K somewhere. My plinking loads are a PC 160 grain RNFP at only 750 fps, which should keep my guns running forever.

I got my police trade 64 for a little over 300 dollars last year in almost new condition. I paid a tad more about 5 years ago for the half lug GP 100 police trade in, which seems to be sought after gun like the Security Six. The Ruger SS is also a good option if you can find one for a decent price. If you are willing to pay IIRC around 800 dollars the Match Champion would probably make a great carry piece. I have not seen a whole lot of used ones on the shelves so the owners must be happy.

Hillary hole does not even give me a second thought on buying Smiths.

I have a model 15 which I have been carrying in the woods and occasionally carrying a 1911. I was wanting the 66 to carry with 357 loads. Where I hunt, we have a few packs of wild dogs and many coyotes. I have had close encounters with both.
    The dogs were the worst. They really didn't respect me until I killed one of them. I was carrying a 12 gauge shotgun at the time with no sidearm.
    The coyotes ran when they found out I had a gun(fired a shot in the ground).
    One particular farm has the occasional cougar as well. I have yet to meet one of those but have seen the carcass of a couple that a neighbor shot.
    I usually hunt the woods there with a 22lr rifle. I am starting to feel a little inadequately armed with just the 22.
    Even in Illinois the woods can be a dangerous place.

Banned
    If you think the woods in Illinois are dangerous you should try the Southside of Chicago

I won't go anywhere near Chicago, thank you very much. I am not experienced enough with urban "civilization" to know how to stay out of trouble there.
    I have a stepdaughter that lives in Beach Park north of Chicago. That's as close as I want to get.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have a model 15 which I have been carrying in the woods and occasionally carrying a 1911. I was wanting the 66 to carry with 357 loads. Where I hunt, we have a few packs of wild dogs and many coyotes. I have had close encounters with both.
    The dogs were the worst. They really didn't respect me until I killed one of them. I was carrying a 12 gauge shotgun at the time with no sidearm.
    The coyotes ran when they found out I had a gun(fired a shot in the ground).
    One particular farm has the occasional cougar as well. I have yet to meet one of those but have seen the carcass of a couple that a neighbor shot.
    I usually hunt the woods there with a 22lr rifle. I am starting to feel a little inadequately armed with just the 22.
    Even in Illinois the woods can be a dangerous place.
    +P heavy duty should handle any animal you mentioned.

Boolit Grand Master

This is for the current production verse old.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...gnum-revolver/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-18-2018 at 12:19 AM.

The current production S&W's are fitted extremely well, much more than I knew until a few months back when a friends needed a total disassembly. I can live with the lock, but I would love to see S&W do away with it as well. Just something to go wrong that never needed to be there to begin with. If it's a good price, go for it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The current production S&W's are fitted extremely well, much more than I knew until a few months back when a friends needed a total disassembly. I can live with the lock, but I would love to see S&W do away with it as well. Just something to go wrong that never needed to be there to begin with. If it's a good price, go for it.

Murphy
    It's there for the same reason there is no 38-44 factory ammo anymore. To avoid liability lawsuits. Ruger went about it in a different way long before S&W did. They put a ugly warning stamped in the side of the barrel of their guns. The gun public at the time hated it, but they got used to it. Ruger could easily stop with the warning, but Smith would have to completely change manufacturing to do away with the lock. It is not going to happen, eventually the public will accept the lock, just like the Ruger warning.

Boolit Master

e ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    Ruger got rid of the "billboard" ... atleast on the SP, GP & LCR (not sure if LCR ever had it)

The SP & GP have a tiny lazer etching on the bottom that says "read manual" the LCR says the same in small print on the side, but it has the "coating" put on afterwards, so hard to see ...
    Both my GP's have the billboard, one is fairly recent. IIRC it is on my Mark III also.

The Mark III is on the bottom, and my newest GP is 2009 so they may have moved it at some point of time. But it is still on the guns, just moved. I doubt smith will ever take the lock off their guns, it makes no sense to change their tooling. Actually I like it, if it keeps others from buying them that keeps the price down for me.

Found an image of the very recent GP 44 special, sure enough the warning on the barrel is still there, though shortened.

Last edited by Walkingwolf; 01-20-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Three of the 13 Smith's in my safe have the lock and it's been no problem whatsoever...I no longer notice it to be honest. In one case, my M69 Smith in .44 Magnum, I've found that it's the most accurate Smith I own, and that includes some that have the pinned and recessed features. Do I wish those three did not have the lock? Of course. It's a reminder that Smith once succumbed to blackmail from the anti-gun crowd..but in reality, it's a non-issue in the examples that I own. You're going to love that Smith...that's my guess. Best Regards, Rod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast