RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your favorite Reticle and why?

Boolit Master
    Mil-Dot gets my vote, and mil-mil not mil-moa... They can be used for any caliber in combination with a good ballistic program... I have the Strelok on my smart phone and Strelok has over 500 reticles in their data base on the premium editon.. I have a couple of SWFA's with mil-mil on a Knight .45 inline shooting a 400 grain paper paatched bullet and the other is on a 300 WinMag shooting a 185 grain Berger... both can hit the target if I do my part... of course I spend some time on the range verifying the velocity and POI to the calculations...I'm an old codger and don't shoot as well or as much as I used to... wish I had one of these scopes and programs when I was a serious ground hog hunter back in the 60's.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MOAR_30MOA_SHV-750x750[1].jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	211939It kind of depends on the application. Several good ones out there. As others have mentioned, I don’t do busy very well. If I must pick one reticle it would be a variance of the Mil-Dot. I just procured a Nightforce with their MOAR reticle and really like the versatility. Good for target and hunting and easy to use and understand
    Last edited by 18Bravo; 01-15-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    German #4 for game. A simple fine line cross hairs for targets.

I have an old Bushnell with an optional post reticle, can't remember the marketing name for it. It's a fine cross hair reticle and with a turn of the dial, a post reticle can be made to appear. Pretty much ideal.
    "Bushnell Command Post"-very cool old scopes!

Boolit Buddy
    Mine wasn’t pictured . I’ve got an old Weaver with a fine horizontal cross hair paired with a heavy tapered vertical post . Wicked fast on moving critters .
    I think that I would really like that upside down crosshairs & post that Outpost pictured .

Boolit Master
    Simple and clean, tapered post described above or duplex with fine center wires. I varmit hunted in the 70s and had no trouble with hold off out to 350 or so, no range finders just lots of practice estimating range. I shot one rifle and one load in it with a Unertl 15x . Now if I still varmit hunted I might play with one of the mil dots, but I dont. Only use a scope occasionally when hunting, like 10 percent when deer hunting, fixed 2 or 4 generally, so you should consider me a bit old school. That 4x fixed gets me to 300 with my 308 and I have no interest in shooting deer at that range. Squittels get a 6x fixed with fine crosshairs most always unless im taking an old rifle for a walk, then its factory opens. Dont shoot much paper.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Attachment 211880

I prefer the duplex reticle as made by Leopold. My primary application is for hunting out to 200 yards and typically the light levels are low during dawn or dusk. I found that the very thin reticles some scopes have get lost under these light conditions. I don't like BDC or any other bits in my field of view as I'm not familiar with them and see no need for them.
    I'd say this one. The human eye is very good at judging the middle of things, and in the worst possible light in which you can use any scope on game, it is likely to be on something close up, and the middle of those four coarse bars is still right in the middle. But if you are using the same scope where extreme precisions is required, there are the thin wires to do it with.

For some sorts of shooting, rangefinder and windage gauge reticles will be superior, but I'd rather be shooting at ranges close enough to do that by depth-of-deer scale. I don't much want to shoot anything smaller than a rabbit with a rifle, and I can get to fifty yards of a rabbit.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Although you don't list it in your choices, for hunting I prefer the old Leupold CPC. Got my first one in 1969 and still use it today.

For varmint, 22RF and target I like to use a very fine plain cross hair. Back when Premier Reticule was doing their thing I sent several scopes to them for 1/10" cross hair. Still have 3 or 4 of them, mostly in 12X scopes. Given my aging eyes, the 1/10" is getting a bit difficult to see under some less than ideal conditions but I still use them regularly.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Nikon's BDC reticle.

THE absolute best cast load I have ever come up with shoots MOA at 50 and 100 yards. The Nikon BDC I have on the rifle is dead on at 50 and the first circle is dead on at 100. I have no place to shoot further but I imagine the others follow suit.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    i like to use mil dot for groundhogs and such, but i use leupold's duplex reticle.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This is my preferred too .
    Attachment 212068
    I have made assorted hold overs for range with this and it is for me as easy to make an adjustment for a body or duplex change as anything else I've used .

I do have a couple of the old Weaver K4s with the fine horizontal and heavy post as well as the fine wire .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Low lite-Leupold heavy plex

Target-old Weaver fine line

Offhand/moving-post on a fine line

Boolit Master
    For target thin duplex in middle. For hunting in brush the German Post, out in the fields I am happy with a regular Duplex. I calculate in my mind for hold over.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Attachment 211880

I prefer the duplex reticle as made by Leopold. My primary application is for hunting out to 200 yards and typically the light levels are low during dawn or dusk. I found that the very thin reticles some scopes have get lost under these light conditions. I don't like BDC or any other bits in my field of view as I'm not familiar with them and see no need for them.
    as a deer hunter now I agree with the above .. as a long range accuracy shooter in the past for that application fine crosshairs were always my favorite
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    For deer hunting and larger varmints I use mostly the standard Leupold duplex out to 300 yards.
    For benchrest shooting I have both fine Leupold crosshair and the Leupold dot. The fine cross hair causes a lot of eyestrain. The dot works much better.
    I will never use the other reticles unless I get to try out prairie dogs.
    I have too many good scopes to swap out reticles.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Leupold duplex works well for me on game animals out to 300yds.
    Works pretty well on paper also.

I need to scope a heavy barreled Sako L57 that was re-chambered to .308 with a Schultz & Larsen barrel that I recently purchased at a local gun show.
    Torn between a Leupold or a Vortex...still juggling powers, objective lens size and reticle type. A lot to consider...going to be a range toy, so I would like to wring as much accuracy out of it as possible. Probably never take it hunting...it's pretty heavy without optics. I have plenty of other rifles for hunting. Should be fun working up loads for it this spring and summer.

Boolit Buddy

German #4, don't really have a reason other than the fact that my DAD used one and I started using it. It works for me.

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ret_pst_f_6-24x50_ebr2c_mrad-t.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	215578

I like the Vortex MRAD in a FFP

Boolit Bub
    I shoot the German number one best so for me, that's the one I prefer.

Boolit Master
    Irons for levers

Fine cross for dial in range shooting.

Moa Hash for 22lr comp.

BDC for 223/5.56 and 308.

Favorite scope of all time is still the sightron SIII 10-15x60 MOA. But I am not used to real nice scopes so this one is the best I have used.

Just got a Athlon Argos BTR and so far not to pleased.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12