Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Heavy 8mm Boolit Load Data

Boolit Grand Master

Heavy 8mm Boolit Load Data

I have a heavy and long 8mm boils from Midsouth.. A custom LEE mold.
    I received this data from NOE. http://noebulletmoulds.com/rd/8MM/32...28f8-420559689

Anyone tried any of these loads?? I'd like to have input from you 8mm Mauser shooters.
    Thanks.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

So, you have either the 8mm Karabiner or the 8mm Maximum. (I have both.) Both are older group buys from this site that Lee has continued to make versions of on their own. I say "versions of" because they have diverged considerably from the Group Buy blueprint... which is why Lee is no longer used for Group Buys on this site!

A quick search of this site will bring up lots of loads and discussion. The loads you were given seem to be for an NOE cast boolit roughly the same weight as the Max. (Not sure which you have)

I have been shooting them out of a 25" barrel '93 action Turk for several years now, but mostly the Karabiner.

Looking at my notes, for the Max I tried a load ladder of 43 to 46.0 grains of IMR4350, which fits under the NOE pMax load of 47.5. The 46 grain load showed great promise (4 shots into 1.13" at 50 yards) and then I found the scope mounts got loose. After I fixed that issue, I've been concentrating on the Karabiner. I have more loads I can share if that's what you have.

Which brings me to the next point, recoil of full-house loads of either boolit is stout, and will test your scope, rings and mount.

A final point is you'll not set any cast boolit speed records with either the Max or the Karabiner in 8x57! Both are limited to under 2300fps (or thereabouts) due to case capacity. But, I would face any game in North America with a full-house load of either.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 01-14-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

That's a nice chart. I've got a NOE mold for .323 and have cast a few it's a 185 grain boolit so it appears to be quite a bit smaller than your 255 grainer.
    I have yet to load/shoot any though. My thought was to start with Varget, but I'm a little fixated on a new Marlin at this point so I haven't put any thought into the actual loads.

I like the thought of getting 1300 fps with Trailboss, though! Never thought that would be an option...

Boolit Grand Master
    My mold is the 8mm MAX. Dressed and lubed, weighs in around 250 or a little bit more.
    I was hoping Larry Gibson would chime in. I have PM'd him but no response.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Larry generally recommends the Lyman 323470 and the harder-to-find obsolete 323471. I don't know if he's ever tried the Maximum, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, use the site search feature, it's not hard. Go back a few years, like a decade, when the Karabiner and Maximum were still new hot things.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Larry generally recommends the Lyman 323470 and the harder-to-find obsolete 323471. I don't know if he's ever tried the Maximum, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, use the site search feature, it's not hard. Go back a few years, like a decade, when the Karabiner and Maximum were still new hot things.
    Spent some time searching. Perhaps not far enough back.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

I was messing with the heavies in 8X57, started a thread a while back and lots of fellas chimed in with good pic's and recipes.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-quot-Uhh-quot
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Shiloh I shoot that bullet in 8x57 and it is killer at about 1800 fps, only one shot needed to drop an 1100 pound cow buffalo, bison actually but us mountain people call them buffalo. I did most of my testing with mil surp powders when they were cheap and plentiful.

7-17-2005 75*F
    250 gr Lee Max 14 bhn
    210FC pr
    R-P brass
    2.910 COAL
    WC 846 30.0-35.0 grs, 1579- 1882 fps w/1 gr dacron

I chose 35.0 gr + dacron, 10 shot 2" at 100yds for my hunting load

52.0 gr WC 872 lot 49617, CCI 250 pr- 1732 fps, 2.375" 5@100 yds, 55.0 grs gives 1919 fps and 5 into .871 @50yds- but the powder compression would move the bullets out of the case and after a couple days you couldn't chamber the rounds, didn't try crimping in place.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I was messing with the heavies in 8X57, started a thread a while back and lots of fellas chimed in with good pic's and recipes.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-quot-Uhh-quot
    I have this thread bookmarked. Is Larry Gibson Still active?? I have PM'd him but no response.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Shiloh I shoot that bullet in 8x57 and it is killer at about 1800 fps, only one shot needed to drop an 1100 pound cow buffalo, bison actually but us mountain people call them buffalo. I did most of my testing with mil surp powders when they were cheap and plentiful.

7-17-2005 75*F
    250 gr Lee Max 14 bhn
    210FC pr
    R-P brass
    2.910 COAL
    WC 846 30.0-35.0 grs, 1579- 1882 fps w/1 gr dacron

I chose 35.0 gr + dacron, 10 shot 2" at 100yds for my hunting load

52.0 gr WC 872 lot 49617, CCI 250 pr- 1732 fps, 2.375" 5@100 yds, 55.0 grs gives 1919 fps and 5 into .871 @50yds- but the powder compression would move the bullets out of the case and after a couple days you couldn't chamber the rounds, didn't try crimping in place.
    The halcyon days of plentiful, unlimited supply of surplus powder. All sold and what is left is not the bargain it used to be.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I have this thread bookmarked. Is Larry Gibson Still active?? I have PM'd him but no response.

SHiloh
    I can't say. But I think he's commented here in several threads this year.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    The halcyon days of plentiful, unlimited supply of surplus powder. All sold and what is left is not the bargain it used to be.

Shiloh
    Uh huh, late to the ball game you are

Try 24.0 grs AA5744 for 1643 fps and 1.8" 5 at 100
    or
    28.0 gr I 4895+ dacron for 1696 fps and 2.3" 5 @ 100
    or
    30.0 gr Win 748+ dacron, mag primer for 1580 fps and 2.4" 5 @ 100
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Larry, you have exceeded your PM limit!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Larry, you have exceeded your PM limit!
    Dang....amazing how quickly 800 of them get in there.....I've cleared a bunch out, please resend the PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I have a Karibiner that drops 245gr, I load it with 35gr of H4895 and get 1,850fps out of my '98.

Boolit Master
    I’m considering an 8mm heavy and leaning toward the karabiner.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Dang....amazing how quickly 800 of them get in there.....I've cleared a bunch out, please resend the PM.
    Sent Larry.

Thanks!!!
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel