WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar with a 44Mag - Cast of curse.

Boar with a 44Mag - Cast of curse.

Early part of December I received a call from my son (he is in Texas and I am in Virginia) asking if I wanted to go on a Boar hunt during the Christmas Break with him and my Grandson. Of course I jumped at the chance. We discussed different places and wound up going to a lodge in Tennessee, Wilderness Lodge just outside of Monterey, Tn.
    I had Dan at Mountain Molds cut me a .432 265gr GC mold over 15 years ago that had I been use mainly to finish off deer. It was never used as a primary round. I was taking my Marlin 1894 44 mag (16in barrel) and this bullet shot real well out of the Marlin and great out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8’s barrel.
    Had a hog about 40 yards in front of me, body was in line with me and his head was turned slightly away. I shot him in the head, just below the eye and that 44 when through the head, down the neck and through the lungs DRT.
    Bullet worked great. Too cold to do a proper wound channel review and we didn’t recover the bullet.
    Here are the pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russan.Boar.1.1.3.18.r.jpg   Mountain.Mold.265GR.GC.jpg  
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Buddy
    Nice! I'm going to hunt with my 1894 41Mag next year. I have Mihecs mold and have the HPs shooting well out to 75yds but will work on the solids this off season. I hit a big East Tx boar in the neck 2 years ago with a HP. Looked like he was struck by a bolt of lightning. Then he got up and ran off. Tough animals!

No HP Solid through the boiler room will bring them down!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

So. . .at least two feet of penetration, possibly even to the guts, with a skull-boring thrown in at the start?

As James Cromwell said in Babe, "That'll do pig" (though I think his line had a comma in there somewhere. . .)

NICELY done!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Very good.Nothing better than a good and,successful hunt with familY.Nice pics.

Nice shot. You definitely got good penetration with your .44. Looks like good eating there too!

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a great hunt. What are your thoughts on Wilderness Lodge? I would love to hog hunt but there are no wild ones around my parts.

Thank you for the write up. Congrats.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Wilderness Lodge - is a nice comfortable lodge, they can have up to 40 hunters there on their 2500 acres of fenced property. Lots of animals to choose from with exotics too. Their web site URL is:
    http://wildernesshuntinglodge.com/
    A little pricy, but overall it was a fun time - of course I hadn't seen my son and grandson in almost 2 years - so being there with them is what made it special.
    Big Bore = 45+

Congrats on the hog and glad it was great time spent with family.

Great write up and a nice hog as well! Tell me more about that 1894? Is that a factory 16" barrel or was it cut down? I love me some short-barreled leverguns!

Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    Tell me more about that 1894? Is that a factory 16" barrel or was it cut down? I love me some short-barreled leverguns!
    It is a factory length called 'The Marlin Limited'. I have had it for about 20 years and I bought it used. This was the first time that I used it to hunt with. I am going to rectify that. I will take the scope off and put either a rear appeture or a Holo sight on it.
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    It is a factory length called 'The Marlin Limited'. I have had it for about 20 years and I bought it used. This was the first time that I used it to hunt with. I am going to rectify that. I will take the scope off and put either a rear appeture or a Holo sight on it.
    Very nice! I have a standard 20" .44 mag, but I do love the look of that 16" barrel. I have a Glenfield 30-30 that is in the process of getting chopped down to 16" right now, hope to put it to good use next season. I use aperture sights exclusively on my leverguns, any sort of electronic sight is pure sacrilege
    Last edited by three50seven; 01-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Banned
    very nice!!!

Boolit Bub
    That looks like a great bullet! I love heavy .44 bullets and that one has a great flat front end. I have a mold that looks quite a bit like that but is 300gn GC.

Quote Originally Posted by kobeinu View Post
    That looks like a great bullet! I love heavy .44 bullets and that one has a great flat front end. I have a mold that looks quite a bit like that but is 300gn GC.
    I designed that on Mountain Molds to function in the Marlin. It won't take a long nose like the Keith SWC's, so is shortened the nose and made it fatter with a wide meplate to hit hard. I also rounded the nose slightly to help with feeding. You can't work the action slow - fast is good.

I think any 44 mag boolit would hve done the job on that shot, unless it was a round nose and skidded off to the left.

Accuracy is acceptable sub 3 in at 100, but I really did not do a lot of load development for it. When the weather breaks here in VA I am going to re-work the load and try some Prower Pro 300 MP that I had bought for my 300 BO & cast. But I have to cast up a bunch first.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master
    Good all the way around: Family time, cast boolit, & meat in the freezer. I went to that lodge a couple years ago. Fun hunting, great accommodations, and the very best meat processing I've every seen. Some times the meat handling at pay to hunt places leaves a little to be desired, but not this place. First rate, clean, and fast. We had our 5 pigs cut up, packaged, labeled, & frozen to perfection. As I remember, it was a little pricey, but we liked it.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening and Congratulations !
    That was a healthy specimen of a hog ! Looks like that 265 grainer did the job just fine ! And get to be with the hunting generations.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Very nice!!!

Boolit Buddy
    The ranch dog 265 RF over 18gr. of 2400 has been my favorite for years for deer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast