Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: p-64 polish

Boolit Master

p-64 polish

I just got a p-64 polish 9x18 makarov pistol as a gift from my brother looks like a nice little pistol can you tell me about it
    are they good shooters so far after looking on line about them it's suggested that i replace the springs recoil / trigger and hammer springs have not shot it yet but the trigger pull on double action sucks any way can you tell me about this
    little pistol
    Thanks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have one and like it...google it and you will find there is a p-64 forum that provides a lot of info... I bought it at a gunshow and also bought some PRVI partisan ammo for it.. was amazed at the recoil and alarmed at how bad the brass bulged... thought something was wrong with pistol headspacing... turns out it was the ammo... I have not had similar issues with new makarov brass or brass I made from cut down 9x19. Recoil is harsh on full power loads... mine is very accurate for the short barrel lenght...I did upgrade mine with some new springs, one issue the springs resolved was the tendancy for the little pistol to launch the brass into the next county... think I went to heavier recoil spring if I remember correctly... hope this helps
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    LuckyDawg,

Try this link

http://www.p64resource.com/
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master

I have had three of them. No ifs ands or buts get a spring kit, got mine from J&G. From what I read the Pols used the heavy springs so it would be reliable with their hard primer ammo used in sub machineguns.

The mag lips are fragile. Get a spare. If you carry it with spare mag, get a pouch. I can honestly say out of hundreds of rounds, never had a jam of any sort. I used the Lee mold for the Mak and 380 powder data. One I traded for construction work he claimed to have put 100 380 rds through it without any problems. I tried a couple mag loads of 380, other than the poor accuracy no hang-ups.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys

Boolit Mold
    I have one that looks great but it will not feed a bullet!
    My wolf springs just arrived a couple days ago, including springs for the mags.
    Hope to get to it later next week!

PS I am in Rockford, how about you?

Boolit Master

Just west of you sending you a pm hey i see that this is your first post Welcome to castboolits
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 01-14-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Don't get attached to those makarovs!
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...-Makarov-Forum
    Duke & Lucky-I originated in Kankakee many decades ago.
    Duke welcome aboard.
    P64s are much happier with new springs, as will be your palm.

Boolit Master
    got one for the wife. got it on gun broker. got it cheap. was surprised when it came in. had the original holster with cleaning rod and spare mag even had the mans name inside the flap. it shoots good with all ammo we have tried . it is her carry gun.

Boolit Master

How does your wife carry it hammer down and safety on or just with the safety off and hammer down

Boolit Master
    hammer down safety off. the way it was made to carry.

Boolit Master
    I have looked at the Wolf site and there are several weight springs. I really don't want a heaver recoil spring as the slide hard enough to work now but would still like to improve the DA pull.

What spring weights did most of you use for this pistol ? I mostly use lighter reloads in this pistol and save the factory ammo for the Mack.

Dave

Boolit Master

Wolf does or did make a kit specifically for the P-64's hammer. It contained two, I believe it was 12 and 16 lbs but being my memory isn't perfect see it it's on their website. I used both and the lighter of the two worked fine.

EDIT: maybe that was 16 and 20 lbs. There is or was a forum dedicated for the P 64. Best to rely on the experts. The original should be weighed in tons, its beyond ridiculous.
    Last edited by azrednek; 01-15-2018 at 06:00 PM.

The best safety ever made is the factory double action trigger on a P-64! I have one as my primary carry gun and I love it. It kicks a lot, and could use a spring kit, but it is super accurate and carrys well. I put the safety on halfway to deactivate the firing pin, but not all the way since my detent is super stiff. Mine was built in 74 and is a great quality little pistol. Good luck with yours.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

The bluing on the P 64's is impressive especially for a govt issued gun. The bluing on 2 of the three is reminiscent of 1950 and 60's S&W's. One I traded away showed signs of neglect with slide freckling and holster wear but still ran and shot good.

If you're new to 9MM Makarov and also shoot other 9's. Get a dark marking pen, clearly mark head stamp so you can easily separate the 9MM brass. Lesson I learned from the infamous School of Hard Knox. My second lesson was failing to remember to separate before tossing everything in the tumbler!!

Boolit Master
    I bought a hand select from J&G 2 years ago. I did the Wolff spring swap, and to the range. It kicked hard, and still had a hard trigger. Back to the safe. I'll never shoot it again. I can't believe anybody would carry one of these for self defense. I'll take an LC9s or a Shield any day.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    The bluing on the P 64's is impressive especially for a govt issued gun. The bluing on 2 of the three is reminiscent of 1950 and 60's S&W's. One I traded away showed signs of neglect with slide freckling and holster wear but still ran and shot good.

If you're new to 9MM Makarov and also shoot other 9's. Get a dark marking pen, clearly mark head stamp so you can easily separate the 9MM brass. Lesson I learned from the infamous School of Hard Knox. My second lesson was failing to remember to separate before tossing everything in the tumbler!!
    The first thing i did was to mark the head stamp with a Sharpie marker LOL

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Yea , I shoot 9mm Luger and 9mm Mak , I just don't take both to the range at the same time . A chore to separate if your cutting 9x19 down to 9mm Mak . I use a green marked on the head stamp on the Mak .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

Well i went ahead and ordered the wolf spring kit for it and picked up a box of PPU ammo Need to find some cheaper ammo
    for it $20 is a bit much for it

Boolit Master
    I had 1. An was having trouble with it not feeding reloads. I had to decrease my LOAL by quite a bit to get it to feed properly. But after that change it was very reliable. I have a lot of brass (shortened 9x19) as well as a mold from Accurate molds. If your looking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast