Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford mechanic question

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    myg30 - The Ford 300 (4.9L) inline 6 was one of the best engines ever made. It's a shame that Ford stopped making them. (it was in production for about 30 years) In addition to Ford trucks; the 300 was used to power aircraft tractors (tugs), generators, UPS trucks! and about a hundred other applications. That engine was a workhorse and nearly indestructible if given just a little attention.

And I'm not even a big fan of Ford products
    Yes it is. Mine was a farm truck with granny gear 4 spd tranny. I do my best not to over rev engine driving on the interstate. Speed limit here is 70 mph and man that motor sounds like it screaming. Don’t run er on the highway much, mostly to town and back or Lowe’s/Home Depot run. Bought it in 2006 with 92k original miles and I think I’m near 105k on the odometer.
    I keep oil changed and chase the mice out of the inside glove box. Glad them and the chip monks don’t eat the rubber hoses or wires.
    If it had 4wd and over drive gear I’d be in heaven. It can pull, that’s fer sure!
    65 degrees here today, I should go change that dang gas filter now !

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    If it's like an F150 of that era there are two relays on the driver side inner fender, might be the passenger side on the Ranger. One is for fuel pump and the other is for ECU power. The contacts get corroded and the truck stops. If the relays bad you can use a jumper to get it home. I used a paper clip I found on the floor.
    On an '88 Ranger the relays are between the air filter box and the PASSENGER side inner fender.
    The relays frequently fall off their mounting bracket and dangle upside down on the wiring harness and get filled with splash water and fail.

Also, bear in Mind that '88 was the last year before ford largely switched from fuseable links to Maxi-Fuses

Are you aware just how rare Dual-fuel tanks are on Ford Rangers? or that 1988 is the LAST year for that option?

I have an '87 Supercab 4x4 myself that has dual-fuel tanks, but NOT from the factory, I had to junkyard pillage two other rangers to aquire the pieces you need.

My advice you is go to another site the rangerstation.com and ask there and expect some good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    Ignition control module. Mounts on the side of the distributor. About $40, any auto parts store should have one. Takes an oddball socket to change. When I ran that era Fords I carried one in the glove box along with the special socket.
    It is called a "TFI module" and the "oddball" socket required is a thin DEEP 5.5mm, because the screws are in a deep recess

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Socket is 5.5 millimeter, if it has the thick film module on the side of the dist. It is easier to just see if the plugs are firing, you will either need someone to turn it over for you or a remote start button.

Can you listen at the tank while someone turns on the key, to see if the pump is cycling on?
    On that Era Ford Ranger there are TWO fuel pumps (since the truck in question has dual-tanks there are three) there are low pressure "lift" pumps in each tank plus a high pressure pump mounted to the frame rail (just forward of the radius arm cross-member) There is also a "six port Selector valve"

The selector valve is complicated because the valve must switch return fuel as well as the low pressure fuel Fed to the pressure pump. This prevents the most disasterous of circumstances Cross-feeding from the "active tank" to the "other tank" which may already be full. In aircraft this is called an "uncommanded crossfeed" and is one of the most undesireable things that can happen!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    On that Era Ford Ranger there are TWO fuel pumps (since the truck in question has dual-tanks there are three) there are low pressure "lift" pumps in each tank plus a high pressure pump mounted to the frame rail (just forward of the radius arm cross-member) There is also a "six port Selector valve"

The selector valve is complicated because the valve must switch return fuel as well as the low pressure fuel Fed to the pressure pump. This prevents the most disasterous of circumstances Cross-feeding from the "active tank" to the "other tank" which may already be full. In aircraft this is called an "uncommanded crossfeed" and is one of the most undesireable things that can happen!
    My pickup must be an odd ball. Two exterior pumps, no internal pumps.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    My pickup must be an odd ball. Two exterior pumps, no internal pumps.
    Did not know ford ever built such a thing, but a ranger with dual tanks would be an oddball by itself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Did not know ford ever built such a thing, but a ranger with dual tanks would be an oddball by itself.
    Shoot, I had one with dual tanks, and a mazda diesel from the factory.

Thing was a turd!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123