WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford mechanic question

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Ford mechanic question

My '88 Ranger 2.3 fuel injected died on the side of the road yesterday. I figured it had got wet, as I'd been driving through slush for about ten miles. Lost power like I was out of gas, switched tanks, nope.
    Today I change plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and plug wires.
    No go.
    Any idea what to check next?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    I'm about 99% certain that engine uses a timing belt. That's where I would look first.

Boolit Master
    Are you getting fuel to fuel rail? Have you checked for spark?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm about 99% certain that engine uses a timing belt. That's where I would look first.
    It does but look for simple causes first as the boy scouts say you need three things for fire: "fuel air and a source of ignition", mechanics say fuel, air, spark. make sure you have all three

Boolit Master
    If it's like an F150 of that era there are two relays on the driver side inner fender, might be the passenger side on the Ranger. One is for fuel pump and the other is for ECU power. The contacts get corroded and the truck stops. If the relays bad you can use a jumper to get it home. I used a paper clip I found on the floor.
    Last edited by bdicki; 01-14-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Banned
    A broken timing belt IS a simple cause. It's also a easy cause to rule out.
    I don't know how many miles the OP has on that 30 year old engine or how many miles the current timing belt has on it but wouldn't surprise me if that's the problem.

Boolit Master

I don't remember where the oil cap is for that engine, but if you can see the cams through the oil fill or pcv hole, watch to see if it turns when cranking. No turn, no timing belt.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I had to edit my post to the fuel pump relay instead of spark.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It turns over just fine, and "almost" fires sometimes. Timing belt was replaced a year ago. It hasn't been driven much over the years, 138,000 miles on it. I'm wondering about the fuel pumps?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Could be a fuel pump issue or a plugged / frozen fuel filter (water in gas and then freezes in the filter - which is under that truck)
    Could also be a power supply issue to the fuel pump(s) or even a dead pump but your post sounds like you have duel tanks.
    You could check to see if you're getting fuel to the engine.
    However, the "almost" fires sounds suspiciously like a timing problem.

Boolit Master
    Ignition control module. Mounts on the side of the distributor. About $40, any auto parts store should have one. Takes an oddball socket to change. When I ran that era Fords I carried one in the glove box along with the special socket.

Boolit Master
    A snort of ether would tell you is it was a fuel problem.

What (richbug) said. It is called a "stator" (around here, anyway). When they go, you have nothing! Not hard to fix, once you figure out what the heck it is!! Good luck.

Boolit Master

Easy way to tell if it's a fuel issue is to spray throttle body cleaner or carb spray into it and see if it fires. Stay away from starting fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Easy way to tell if it's a fuel issue is to spray throttle body cleaner or carb spray into it and see if it fires. Stay away from starting fluid.
    I don't know how to do that with fuel injection.

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    Ignition control module. Mounts on the side of the distributor. About $40, any auto parts store should have one. Takes an oddball socket to change. When I ran that era Fords I carried one in the glove box along with the special socket.
    I'll check that in the morning. Hope I have the right odd ball socket around!

In Remembrance
    Socket is 5.5 millimeter, if it has the thick film module on the side of the dist. It is easier to just see if the plugs are firing, you will either need someone to turn it over for you or a remote start button.

Can you listen at the tank while someone turns on the key, to see if the pump is cycling on?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't know how to do that with fuel injection.

Remove the tube from the air box to the throttle body, open the blades and spray inside. If you have help, have them crank the motor while you spray into the throttle body, leave the throttle closed using this method.

Banned
    Any luck ?

Boolit Master
    check the fuel filter. I had this problem on a 88 s10 blazer. from that time on I change the filters every two years. it is cheaper and less hassle then setting along the road.
    Last edited by bob208; 01-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast