Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 358432 & 360432 loads for .357 Mag?

358432 & 360432 loads for .357 Mag?

I'm loading the Type III wadcutter 360432 (NOE HP) 160gr version in .357 Magnum and have been very happy with 12.5gr of 2400, Looking through some load books last night I saw some 160gr data (for other bullets) going up to 14.2gr of 2400.

These loads are going out of a carbine (mostly) and in this colder weather I know it wont be the same testing loads as it will be when its 90° out so I'm seeing how hot others have loaded with this boolit specifically. I'm just concerned as to the extra amount of bullet that is seated below the case mouth creating less case volume=higher starting pressure.

The hotter I've run 360432 the better the results have been, My plan is to load up in some quick ladder loads and see if I get any pressure signs but just wanted to check here to see if anybody has tried the same.

P.S.

This boolit is one I keep coming back to again and again trying to find the perfect all around heavy projectile for my GP100/77-357 combination. It feeds very well in the bolt action and has been very accurate so far. I was disappointed in the new group buy 180 mold as its too tight in my GP100 in .357 and does not feed cleanly in the 77.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master

" I'm just concerned as to the extra amount of bullet that is seated below the case mouth creating less case volume=higher starting pressure . "

Good, if you stay that way , you may not have any problems.

Ben

I assume you are crimping in the crimp groove on your 360432.
    If you stand a 158 grain boolit next to the 360432 on a table, you will find there is little if any difference in the distance of the crimp groove from the base of the boolit. This means there is no more lead inside the case with the 360432 than with other similar weight cast boolits. Max powder charge weights should be nearly the same.
    Just make sure that the crimp grooves are the same distance from the base of the boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I assume you are crimping in the crimp groove on your 360432.
    If you stand a 158 grain boolit next to the 360432 on a table, you will find there is little if any difference in the distance of the crimp groove from the base of the boolit. This means there is no more lead inside the case with the 360432 than with other similar weight cast boolits. Max powder charge weights should be nearly the same.
    Just make sure that the crimp grooves are the same distance from the base of the boolit.
    I'll have to line them up and take a look, thanks for the thought.
    My firearms project blog

I just looked at the drawings on the NOE website. The difference in depth/location of the crimp grove between the 360432 and other similar weight boolits is .030-.040.
    The Lyman 358432 that I have is a 148 grain version and measures almost exactly the same as 158 grain SWC boolits produced from Lyman and Lee molds.
    It seems the NOE version is about .035 longer in crimp groove positioning.
    I don't think that small a difference will have a lot of effect in a case the size of the .357 magnum. Still best to run your tests and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I just looked at the drawings on the NOE website. The difference in depth/location of the crimp grove between the 360432 and other similar weight boolits is .030-.040.
    The Lyman 358432 that I have is a 148 grain version and measures almost exactly the same as 158 grain SWC boolits produced from Lyman and Lee molds.
    It seems the NOE version is about .035 longer in crimp groove positioning.
    I don't think that small a difference will have a lot of effect in a case the size of the .357 magnum. Still best to run your tests and find out.
    Dunno why I didn't think to look at their drawings....thanks!
    My firearms project blog