Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 30-30 hunting load

30-30 hunting load

I have the Lee 150f boolit, sizing to 309 and using IMR 4227 powder. I started with the Lyman book starting load of 16.4 and have worked up to 19gn now in 1/2gn lots.

My 19gn loads are running faster (over my chrony) than Lyman shows for the 21gn max loads. Cases show no pressure signs.

Should I be worried about over Pressure?

Do I need a 150gn hunting boolit going that fast?

Boolit Master
    I use that same boolit for hunting loads in both my 30/30 and 308 using RE-7. When I did my terminal ballistics tests in soaked, compressed phone books some years ago, I concluded that I didn't need a velocity much over 1650 fps. to do anything I needed done for deer out to 150 yards.

Ok, that's what I was hoping to hear! I just read my initial post and noticed that I didn't put the speeds in.
    I had an under 1" group at 50 yards with the 17gn load, average velocity of 1592fps.
    Above that they opened up, then started shrinking again. At 19gn I'm down to just over an inch group for 5 shots, but showing 2134fps avg. velocity.

I think the groups may get smaller yet as I keep speeding up, but wasn't sure if I should keep going faster since I've gone past the speed listed for the max load in the manual.

I had it in my head that an accurate 1700fps load was what I was looking for, should I settle for just under 1600?

Oh, I'm shooting this from a Winchester mod 94.
    Last edited by c1skout; 01-14-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add

I used that bullet over IMR 3031 @ 1800 fps on a small buck last November. I get 1-1/4" 100 yd groups from my bolt action 30-30 and the same at 40 yds with my 94 30-30. I size .309" and use LLA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If they are accurate at 2132, then why not shoot that load.

Drop to the lower velocity load for lower powder consumption in the plinking and practice load.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-17-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I agree with TC Louis. Use the faster load for a flatter hunting trajectory.
    I'd check the accuracy of both loads at 100 yds. first though.

Boolit Master

Load em up and find all your accuracy nodes in that gun till it leads or shows signs of over pressure with out exceeding max load. When I do my test I start 10% low and go to max in .4-.7g increments while keeping an eye on the bore and brass. Pick those most accurate groups then start 10 shot groups with that accurate load in the middle and go through at .1 or .3 grain increments. Does it take a long time, sure does. Gives me more trigger time/ excuses to go to the range. Gives me more data. There will be several accuracy nodes, but one will have a larger window (IE it takes takes several increments before accuracy goes). That way temp changes, inconsistent bullet seating, that .1 scale error, and 5% different powder burn error wont blow your groups. Gives a bit of wiggle room. It would suck to make that hunting load developed over the summer then have the groups blown during the winter hunt because you used a load on the end of small accuracy node.
    Last edited by Rcmaveric; 01-15-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I agree with the posts above. If they shoot good why slow them down?

Another thing. When using cast bullet data you have to look at the listed pressure associated with the load. Very often cast bullet data is based on the "typical" pressure limits of the cast bullet and not necessarily the pressure limits of the cartridge.

There is no reason you can't shoot jacketed level pressure with cast bullets other than the fact the bullets won't handle it.

So don't just look at velocity look at the pressure too. Chances are your cast data maximum pressure is still well below the maximum working pressure of the cartridge. But don't assume anything actually check the data.

I'm not suggesting that you go over the maximum listed loads. I'm just trying to get you to compare the data so you won't be worrying about being over pressure.

Motor

Boolit Master

I second what Motor said.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't be worried about the slower velocity round if you can shoot it better in real life.
    I say this as it will be quicker to recover from the recoil and keep your eye on the target for a follow up shot if needed and a comfortable load you can shoot well is going to be more productive if the other thumps you around some.

Out to a 100 at least anyway.

If you are worried about a few fps then take a few steps closer.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-15-2018 at 07:02 AM.

For me if I get it on center when I work the load I watch for over pressure on the primer and also what the gun tells me it like and go with that. I do not worry about how fast i can shoot it but hit what I am shooting at on center.If it slower then what the data say .Do not worry. Look at the data and see what it was tested in.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Why not try low end standard load data if you are using a gas check (using something like RL-15). I load the lee 130 grain soupcan with gas check in my 7mm-08 and I use RL-15 and am pushing it at 2150fps, no leading issues other than typical lead wash that comes out easily. I don't see why you can't push that 150 grain in the 30-30 the same speed.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Thanks, everyone for all the good input!

The Lyman book shows 36,400 cup as max for my load, so it appears pretty warm. I'll work them up a bit more and see if the groups keep shrinking.

My barrel is clean, almost looks like it hasn't been shot after my last range session. No leading. I'm using 50/50 wheel weights to range scrap with a touch of tin and that seems to be holding up fine.

Here's an update.

I worked my way up to the max load in the Lyman book, had decent accuracy at both 17 and 20 grains, but the 20 grain load throws a flier every time, bad enough to open a 100 yard 5 shot group from 3 inches to over 7! The 17 grain load runs about 3 inches at 100 yds also, not great but it would do.

I picked up a can of IMR 3031 and started working with that. The second load I tried made a .87" 50yd group. I made some more up tonight to try next time I get out.

Boolit Master
    My experience with hunting level loads and the 30-30. Is that typical 30-30 rifle powders are easiest to get accurate cast loads. 30-31, rl7,4895, aa2230, and 4064 have worked well fo me.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos