Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Number of Lobe Grooves

Boolit Buddy

Number of Lube Grooves

Does the number of lube grooves make a difference in performance, or leading prevention, in a pistol bullet?
    Most pistol bullet molds seem to be cut for bullets with one large lube groove.
    I'm interested in getting a 9mm/38 Super mold from Accurate Molds, but several that look interesting have 2 lube grooves. I'm just wondering if going to one groove would substantially change bullet performance.
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 01-15-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Theoretically fewer grooves should make a shorter bullet with less case intrusion/pressure. I have never noticed any difference. When shooting lead in handguns I have for years used dip/tumble lubes without leading problems. I have often wondered if a multiplicity of grooves was not a legacy of black powder days when large amounts of soft lubes were used so they would combine with powder fouling to make cleaning easier. I personally don't know as I don't shoot black powder.

I am much more interested in having a larger bearing surface on my pistol boolits than a multiplicity of lube grooves. The extra bearing surface allows the boolit to engage the rifling better.
    With the lubes I use, which are very common, I have no issues with leading in any of my handguns. I believe boolit fit is more important than which lube you use as far as leading is concerned.